• 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 2 Post By McJag

Thread: Fort Hood shooting victims want attack called terror

Default Fort Hood shooting victims want attack called terror

Victims of the Fort Hood shooting are rallying in a grassroots effort to get the rampage classified as an act of terrorism.

A coalition of 160 victims and family members released a video Thursday detailing what happened at the Texas military base on Nov. 5, 2009, and why they believe it was a terror attack.

In “The Truth About Fort Hood,” victims give testimonials about their experience and express their frustration at the government calling the incident “workplace violence.”

They point out that the accused shooter, Maj. Nidal Hasan, consulted by email with top al-Qaida leader Anwar al-Awlaki about whether an attack against American soldiers was justified to “protect our brothers.” Until his death in an airstrike in 2011, Yemen-based Awlaki was considered one of the United States’ top enemies.

The shooting for Hasan “was his jihad,” Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford, who was shot five times that day, said in the video.

Another victim, Shawn Manning, said that the soldiers at the readiness center “were killed and wounded by a domestic enemy, someone who was there that day to kill soldiers to prevent them from deploying. If that’s not an act of war or an act of terrorism, I don’t know what is.”

“We’re working pretty hard for our guys right now to get them the recognition and compensation they deserve,” said Kathy Stalnaker, whose husband has severe post-traumatic stress disorder from the incident. “We want to keep it in front of the public.”

Because the incident is not considered an act of terrorism, the victims do not get combat-related special compensation that provides disability pay for medically retired servicemembers. Manning, who was shot six times, was recently denied such benefits.

The victims are also ineligible for Purple Hearts or medals for valor.

Stalnaker said her husband, Sgt. Rex Stalnaker, feels diminished by the government denying he suffered through a terrorist attack, and it causes him to doubt the importance of what he did that day. As a medic, Stalnaker treated many of the victims and was one of the last to leave the building. His uniform was soaked in blood.

The coalition has the support of two Republican congressmen from Texas, who wrote a letter this month to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta asking for the designation.

“Based on all the facts, it is inconceivable to us that the DoD and the Army continue to label this attack ‘workplace violence’ in spite of all the evidence that clearly proves the Fort Hood shooting was an act of terror,” Reps. John Carter and Michael McCaul wrote.

Should the government classify the shooting as terrorism, the victims and their families could be eligible for compensation and benefits similar to those received by families of 9/11 victims.

The congressmen believe Hasan, despite being known to colleagues as an unstable, radical Islamist, was promoted in the Army and not fully investigated after suspicious behavior because the military was afraid being seen as biased against his religion. They think that hesitancy is still at play in deciding what to call the shooting.

The Fort Hood victims “should not be ignored or mistreated now because of misplaced and inappropriate practice of political correctness,” the congressmen wrote.

Panetta’s office has not yet responded to the Oct. 12 letter.

Fort Hood shooting victims want attack called terror - Stripes Central - Stripes

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think it should be designated a terrorist attack. Disgruntled employees usually don't consult with the higher ups in al-Qaida before going on a rampage. Part of the job of the army is to protect the army itself, and they failed to do that when they didn't investigate Hasan's suspicious behavior and then proceeded to promote him.
    southernbelle likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I don't think it should be classified as a terrorist attack and the only reason these people want it to be is so they can get money from Homeland and the only reason it might be is because the perp was of Middle Eastern descent and that is bullshit.
    Grimmlok likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

If this is about race, then it is bullshit, but for me I don't see this as a race issue. The guy was conversing with a known enemy of the United States.
    Laurent likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

And so were most of the guys killing soldiers every day in Afghanistan and Iraq. If these soldiers are eligible to get 9/11-sized money for being injured then so should every other solider who has ever been injured.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    If this is about race, then it is bullshit, but for me I don't see this as a race issue. The guy was conversing with a known enemy of the United States.
    .. why hasn't the US invaded Saudia Arabia to get them? Oh riiiiiight...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    And so were most of the guys killing soldiers every day in Afghanistan and Iraq. If these soldiers are eligible to get 9/11-sized money for being injured then so should every other solider who has ever been injured.
    It reminds me a little of this Snopes article contrasting the 9/11 next of kin benefit with the standard military death (dead in action) benefit:

snopes.com: What's a Military Family Worth?

Plenty of Middle Eastern people join the US military and don't do this. The US Army should be able to do more to take care of its own and they failed their soldiers by letting one unstable person do what he did. As far as I understand it, he opened fire on unarmed people and from what the article says, he thought he was doing it "for our brothers". If the last part was truly part of Hasan's premeditation, then I can understand calling it terrorism. If some white guy was on the phone with someone in charge at the Vatican and was making the same plans in the name of Catholicism, I'd still call it terrorism.

Even if we took the word terrorism out of this equation, and we took the 9/11-type benefits off the table, the victims in this case should at least get the same benefits as someone on active duty in a war zone would get.
    Laurent likes this.

the victims in this case should at least get the same benefits as someone on active duty in a war zone would get.

On this we are agreed.
    Waterslide and MohandasKGanja like this.

If some white guy was on the phone with someone in charge at the Vatican and was making the same plans in the name of Catholicism, I'd still call it terrorism.
    ... nobody else would. They'd just say he was " a lone, disturbed individual."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I can call it Happy Fun Day and it still doesn't change what it is or isn't. Why does it matter so much to have a certain label?
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

POS has been found GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS!

Nidal Hasan guilty on all counts in Fort Hood killings

Rick Jervis and Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY 7:46 a.m. EDT August 23, 2013

The panel voted unanimously to convict the Army psychiatrist for shootings that 13 dead and 31 injured.

(FILES)This undated image courtesy of Bell County Sheriff's Office shows Nidal Hasan, the U.S. Army officer on trial for killing 13 people at a Texas military base in 2009.(Photo: Bell County Sheriff's office/AFP/Getty Images)

SHARECONNECTTWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE
    Maj. Nidal Hasan, the radicalized Army psychiatrist who turned his gun on fellow soldiers at Fort Hood four years ago in the name of jihad, was found guilty Friday on all counts.
    He now faces the death penalty and could be the first person the U.S. military puts to death in more than 50 years.
    A 13-member panel, or jury, of high-ranking officers voted unanimously to convict Hasan, 42, on a slew of premeditated murder and attempted murder charges for killing 13 people and injuring 31 others in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack at the U.S. Army base in Texas.
    The panel now turns to the sentencing phase of the trial to decide whether to recommend putting Hasan to death by lethal injection or have him spend the rest of his life in prison. Prosecutors are expected to call 16 witnesses over two days during the sentencing phase.
    A memorial to victims of the Fort Hood shooting is shown before the start of a memorial service attended by President Barack Obama on Nov. 10, 2009, at Fort Hood, Texas.(Photo: Donna McWilliam AP)

The court-martial of Hasan included 89 prosecution witnesses who described in vivid and graphic detail how Hasan entered a medical processing building on Nov. 5, 2009, and opened fire on unarmed soldiers and one civilian with a FN 5.7 semiautomatic handgun, reloading high-capacity magazines several times and firing 146 rounds.
    Hasan, who represented himself, was mostly passive throughout the trial, cross-examining only a handful of witnesses, calling none himself and opting not to make a closing statement. From his opening statement Aug. 6, he admitted to being the gunman and pledged his allegiance to the mujahideen, or holy warriors.
    The case had been besieged by delays and bizarre twists, including the dismissal of the original judge during a dispute over to allow Hasan to grow a beard. Hasan also fired his defense team and chose to represent himself.
    In closing statements Thursday, military prosecutors painted a picture of Hasan as a disgruntled and radicalized American-born Muslim who became increasingly incensed at America's wars abroad and his own pending deployment to Afghanistan.
    Through witness testimony, 911 calls and FBI videos, prosecutors recounted how Hasan purchased the murder weapon months before the shooting, spent weeks training to shoot at silhouette targets at a local shooting range and planned the attack inside busy Building 42003, where soldiers gathered for final medical clearance before deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.
    "The accused went out that day to kill as many soldiers as he could … or anybody else who tried to stop him," prosecutor Col. Steve Henricks said.
    Several things pointed to a premeditated act, including paper towels Hasan placed between the 16 loaded high-capacity magazines he carried in his pants cargo pockets to keep them from clanking together and how he carried out the attack on the same day members of his unit were inside the building, Henricks said.
    "The accused, without a doubt, held a premeditated design to kill," he said.
    Munley said she hopes the end of the case and the overwhelming evidence presented by prosecutors prompts military leaders to reclassify the incident from "workplace violence" to an act of terrorism, which could generate more benefits and money to victims and their families.
    The U.S. military carried out its last execution on 1961, with the hanging of Army Pvt. John A. Bennett. He was convicted in 1955 of the rape and attempted murder of an 11-year-old Austrian girl.

SHARECONNECTTWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

USA NOW

Nidal Hasan guilty on all counts in Fort Hood killings

More Stories:

Up Next

Flames from massive 'Rim' fire creep into Yosemite

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Like there was ever any doubt. I hope he burns in hell. I will never forget that pregnant soldier who told him she was pregnant and he gunned her down. Not to mention those who lived and are in horrible pain daily. All those families ripped to shreds.

I liked the subtle message the Army sent him. The judge was a woman and they stacked the jury with women military. They made sure lowly women had control of this creeps life. Good move. Oh-and not a burka in sight.
    Bluebonnet and lizzybabe like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^Exactly!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Thread Information