Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

Thumbs up Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

SEATTLE - As thousands of Fort Lewis Army troops prepare to head back to Iraq, one of their officers is making a stand.

A lieutenant says he is going to refuse to go, saying it's an unjust war. Anti-war groups are rallying to his defense.

Lt. Ehren Watada of the Stryker Brigade writes, "I refuse to be silent any longer. I refuse to watch families torn apart, while the President tells us to ‘stay the course.’ I refuse to be party to an illegal and immoral war against people who did nothing to deserve our aggression.

"I wanted to be there for my fellow troops. But the best way was not to help drop artillery and cause more death and destruction. It is to help oppose this war and end it so that all soldiers can come home." - signed LT.

His name had been kept a secret until now, but Lt. Watada's father confirms that his son is taking this bold step and told the Honolulu Advertiser newspaper that he's proud of his son.

Fort Lewis says since the lieutenant hasn't done anything official yet, there's no violation. But should he decide to go ahead with this, he could be charged with 'desertion' or more likely with 'missing the movement' of his unit.

It's happened before with a sergeant who refused to go. Sgt. Kevin Benderman was sentenced to 15 months for refusing to go to Iraq.

Lt. Watada asked for reassignment and tried resigning his commission, but the Army refused. His attorney tells us from Hawaii that Watada is not against all wars, just this one.

"I've been doing this for nearly 40 years and I'm somewhat astounded that in the context of a war that is becoming increasing unpopular that they are relatively unsophisticated in addressing these issues," said attorney Eric Seitz from Hawaii.

This doesn't sit well with fellow soldiers.

"We're here to serve our country and fight and that's his job," said Private Nathan Hanson. "It's his duty."

Anti-war protestors, many of which demonstrated at the Port of Olympia recently, are rushing to his aid. They have put up a Web site believing he's the first commissioned officer to refuse to go.

The lieutenant says he'll make his intentions official Wednesday at noon and that's when his defense team will kick into gear.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/43774.htm
    See, this is the kind of quote that makes a soldier/marine/boat jockey seem like a robot:

"We're here to serve our country and fight and that's his job," said Private Nathan Hanson. "It's his duty."
    Yeah, well that doesn't mean you give up your conscience or ethical standards.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

This guy probably had crap running down his left pant leg thinking about Iraq and/or he's one of those types who just didn't have what it took to be an active duty u.s. soldier. I picture a pretty boy who couldn't sac up. Sounds like a strategic cowardly career move. I bet we'll know more about this loser than the hero who manned up and is fighting in his place.

Standing up for what you believe is not a loser move, especially when there are hard core "pro-war at any cost" advocates like yourself, DirtyPool.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPool
    This guy probably had crap running down his left pant leg thinking about Iraq and/or he's one of those types who just didn't have what it took to be an active duty u.s. soldier. I picture a pretty boy who couldn't sac up. Sounds like a strategic cowardly career move. I bet we'll know more about this loser than the hero who manned up and is fighting in his place.
    Yeah or he, like millions of others, thinks this war is stupid, useless, based on lies, and fought for corporate greed and actually has the courage to stand up the military/industrial behemoth and say "No."

He has more balls than you, I'd say. I don't see you in Baghdad getting your legs blown off for king and country, I see you armchair quarterbacking like the rest of us. Spare us your notions of patriotism till you're in his place instead of the pretty tropical paradise of Hawaii.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am not pro war I am pro supporting the men and women who are in the American military. Grimm you too are up there quarterbacking and why shouldn't I have the right to? I served my country already so at least I know a little bit about the hearts and minds of the military. Stop with the Hawaii thing please..they hate the mainlanders more than anyone and I'm not hawaiian ok? state motto "go home mainland scum, but leave yo money"

I am not pro war I am pro supporting the men and women who are in the American military
    Then support this one. He's military, and he's made a choice.

Grimm you too are up there quarterbacking and why shouldn't I have the right to?
    Armchair quarterbacking is hypocritical when you lambast someone for lack of 'courage', yet don't volunteer to replace him.

I served my country already so at least I know a little bit about the hearts and minds of the military.
    Yes, and what combat did you see? What useless wars were you involved with exactly? Ever have an IED go off beside you? If your mind is anything like the quote I had up there earlier, it's the same robotic nonsense that gives military personnell a bad rap.

I am not pro war I am pro supporting the men and women who are in the American military.
    Unless that man or woman in the American military says that the war is unjust, isn't that right? Then they're a "loser" and a "coward" because they stand up against a war they believe is wrong.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Then support this one. He's military, and he's made a choice.

Armchair quarterbacking is hypocritical when you lambast someone for lack of 'courage', yet don't volunteer to replace him.

Yes, and what combat did you see? What useless wars were you involved with exactly? Ever have an IED go off beside you? If your mind is anything like the quote I had up there earlier, it's the same robotic nonsense that gives military personnell a bad rap.
    oooh you think you are so clever about everything! I served during peacetime so I don't have combat experience but it doesn't mean I don't know a coward when i see one.

oooh you think you are so clever about everything! I served during peacetime so I don't have combat experience but it doesn't mean I don't know a coward when i see one.
    Someone with 0 combat experience thinks she has authority to judge the cowardice of those who would enter the theatre of battle? Your fellow marines might have something to say about that, and I doubt it would be flattering.

So it couldn't possibly be that he thinks the war is stupid, unjust, and based on lies? It must be cowardice. So how do you know? What are you using to prove this theory, your opinion?

What happened to standing up for military personnell? He's military isn't he?

Does your support extend only so far as they agree with your views? That seems very much like a double standard. Pick one. Either stand for each and every soldier/marine and what they think (whatever it may be) or don't support them at all.

oooh you think you are so clever about everything!
    Not everything, but I know a hypocrite when I see one, and that's based on pure observation... not opinion.

I'm glad I didn't have to go over there but that doesn't mean I didn't fulfill my obligation to what i signed on for. For someone who's got me so figured out it tends to make one think that the person doing it must really fear that i'm exposing his psychological warfare he's conducting on this site.

I suppose calling people on their bullshit is a form of psychological warfare, but I doubt that was the definition you had.

So please, elaborate... what kind of psychological warfare am I practicing exactly?

A*O

An Aussie/British (can't remember) officer, a doctor, refused to go to Iraq and was court martialled a couple of months ago. He was found guilty of refusing to follow orders and was given a dishonourable discharge and, I think, a spell in jail. I will have to look up the details if you are interested.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

*waits patiently*

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    I suppose calling people on their bullshit is a form of psychological warfare, but I doubt that was the definition you had.

So please, elaborate... what kind of psychological warfare am I practicing exactly?
    Let me get this straight then, are you saying that America should revere this type of conduct in a time of war? Someone who probably just finished a tour over there probably had to go back in his place. I don't find that honorable. Maybe he should've fulfilled his duty and then cry about it on Wolf Blitzer.

^^Oh, you're still here. I thought you had taken your marbles and gone home.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information