Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 2012 Presidential Debate Thread

Twitter made me laugh so fuckin hard last night....holy shit it was epic. Can't wait for the next debate and especially the VP debate.

Romney certainly seemed prepared, no doubt about that . But as many as you have pointed out ---he couldn't EXPLAIN how he would dump another few trillion into the military without raising taxes, etc. Oh....that's right, he's firing Big Bird.

I only lasted about 40 min into it.....that was enough.

Not only were there things he could not explain how he would accomplish, he totally lied (if he were honest he'd have to be a lot more specific, admit that he changed his mind, and then be called a flipflopper like John Kerry was) about what he had supported up to this point, called out Obama for things that weren't true... Holy shit, how can you "win" a debate with anyone who's willing to be so openly dishonest and misleading?

Even if I could take this guy at face value...which would first require that he explained where he stood a little more clearly and stopped being misleading about what he supported vs Obama...I just don't trust the fucker. Clearly he is willing to say whatever he has to in order to "win". Or even to have the appearance of winning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled with Obama. I like him. I like several more of the things he purports to stand for. I just wish that when I cast a vote for him I felt like I was voting for him instead of whoever is pulling the strings. I'd like him a whole lot better if he was cut free from that, with half a chance of following through on more of the things he promised to get my vote the first time.

Really, I just wish I had other options. This stupid farce of a debate makes me almost wish there was a crazy ass Ross Perot up there in the middle.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

i think obama could have done waaaay better, and he was too easy on romney.
    romney's like a car salesman - looks and sounds good on the surface, but he said absolutely nothing substantial during the entire debate. he never actually explained how he was going to do anything. and by the second half you could tell his brain was tired and he started resorting to jingoistic crap about 'america' and 'families' and 'liberty' and 'pursuit of happiness'.

obama got better toward the end but really, the number of times he could have absolutely trounced mitt if he'd felt like it, and he was too nice. he didn't bring up the 47% gaffe, he didn't ask romney to actually elaborate all the crap he was spewing. at one point, romney said something like, this would take too long to explain so i'm not going to go into detail. if i'd been obama, i would have told him that i was giving him my 2 minutes and that we would love to hear what he has to say, and then watch him self-destruct trying to actually say something of substance.

whatever your politics, anyone capable of critical thought has to acknowledge that romney is all flash, no substance.
    ManxMouse and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Romney bloviated a lot but gave no specifics or details. Obama was a wet blanket who mumbled and offered nothing substantial. This debate was a crashing bore.

Romney reversed positions - yet again- on several issues. He even contradicted himself during the debate.

First off he said he wouldn't lower taxes on the rich, then he said he would keep the Bush tax cuts (which lowered taxes on the rich); then he said he was for some business regulations, then said that corporations need to pay less taxes; then he said he would replace Obamacare with Romneycare (they're essentially the same thing with minor differences). After the debate, Mitt's PR team/advisors stated that Romney misspoke when he was talking about replacing Obamacare with Romneycare. Even Mitt is losing track of which lies he is telling and when he is telling them.

Obama, on the other hand, was dismal. He looked bored, pissed, you name it. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere other than in Denver last night. He didn't call out Romney on any of his lies (unless he's saving them for the ads or future debates). He lacked conviction and decisiveness. Did he even say anything memorable? He barely defended his presidency or offered any of his own solutions.

Jim Lehrer was an abomination. Letting both Romney and Obama (especially Romney) run wild out there with no moderation whatsoever.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybabe View Post
    Romney bloviated a lot but gave no specifics or details. Obama was a wet blanket who mumbled and offered nothing substantial. This debate was a crashing bore.

Obama, on the other hand, was dismal. He looked bored, pissed, you name it. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere other than in Denver last night. He didn't call out Romney on any of his lies (unless he's saving them for the ads or future debates). He lacked conviction and decisiveness. Did he even say anything memorable? He barely defended his presidency or offered any of his own solutions.
    A bit surprising. At the convention, Obama looked like he had kind of pulled it together and found a way to be somewhat inspiring while still acknowledging his shortcomings thus far. Maybe Bill Clinton can stand in for Mitt at the next debate. BC would hand him his ass, or at least talk him into submission.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I am a 47%er, I don't care what the fuck he said last night, the offensive bull shit they've been spewing over the last few weeks has sealed the deal for me.

I don't trust his little hands or his tiny steps.
    He does have the most peculiar walk for a (hu)man.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think obama could have done waaaay better, and he was too easy on romney.
    romney's like a car salesman - looks and sounds good on the surface, but he said absolutely nothing substantial during the entire debate. he never actually explained how he was going to do anything. and by the second half you could tell his brain was tired and he started resorting to jingoistic crap about 'america' and 'families' and 'liberty' and 'pursuit of happiness'.

obama got better toward the end but really, the number of times he could have absolutely trounced mitt if he'd felt like it, and he was too nice. he didn't bring up the 47% gaffe, he didn't ask romney to actually elaborate all the crap he was spewing. at one point, romney said something like, this would take too long to explain so i'm not going to go into detail. if i'd been obama, i would have told him that i was giving him my 2 minutes and that we would love to hear what he has to say, and then watch him self-destruct trying to actually say something of substance.

whatever your politics, anyone capable of critical thought has to acknowledge that romney is all flash, no substance.
    Sput, you are too smart to say something like this (bolded) and believe it. You can't honestly think a man running for POTUS is holding back because he's "nice." He's not nice, he's dim. Again, I don't say this as a defense of Romney.

^^^^
    say what you want about obama but he's far from dim. if anything, he is one of the most intelligent men the US has ever elected - and that's got nothing to do with his performance as president, i'm talking straight up intelligence here. i really think he held back for some stupid reason. not necessarily to be 'nice', more likely because his advisers and PR people told him that if he got too bitchy on mitt or something, it would turn people off or something. america doesn't like 'smart' and anti-intellectual sentiment is strong with a huge segment of the population, always has been. just like biden held back with sarah palin at the last election, even though he could have reduced her to a pulp in 15 seconds if he'd felt like it.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

america doesn't like 'smart' and anti-intellectual sentiment is strong with a huge segment of the population, always has been.
    It always amazes me that you know so much about US citizens and a country where you do not live.

If Obama's "advisers" told him to hold back, it was ridiculous strategy. If the same "advisers" told Biden to hold back, they should have learned from their mistakes. Oh wait......

i didn't make that up. entire academic studies have been devoted to it, you can take classes on it at university and it's something that has historically always been a part of US culture.

Anti-intellectualism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

richard hofstadter won a pulitzer for his book, "anti-intellectualism in american life", written in the early 1960s and still considered a classic.
    Richard Hofstadter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dumbing Of America

Anti-Intellectualism in America, Then and Now - NYTimes.com

Kat Scorp likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i didn't make that up. entire academic studies have been devoted to it, you can take classes on it at university and it's something that has historically always been a part of US culture.

Anti-intellectualism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

richard hofstadter won a pulitzer for his book, "anti-intellectualism in american life", written in the early 1960s and still considered a classic.
    Richard Hofstadter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dumbing Of America

Anti-Intellectualism in America, Then and Now - NYTimes.com
    I never suggested you made anything up.

any poli sci and history geek is bound to know a lot about US politics and culture, regardless of where they live.
    and btw, i do live in the US.

I thought you were in South America? And here I've been jealous for no good damn reason??? Pffft.

not anymore, have been transplanted to nyc.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information