Thread: Miers lacks Senate votes for confirmation.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Miers lacks Senate votes for confirmation.

Senators say Bush's Supreme Court nominee lacks votes
    Oct 24 1:39 AM US/Eastern
    Email this story

Harriet Miers nominated by President George W. Bush to fill a vacancy on the US Supreme Court currently lacks the votes for her confirmation by the US Senate, despite an intense White House campaign to sell her candidacy, lawmakers from both parties acknowledged.

The shortfall could presage another political problem for the president, who unexpectedly ran into opposition from fellow Republicans questioning not only Miers's conservative credentials but also her grasp of constitutional law.

Since her nomination on October 3, Miers, a former head of the Texas Bar Association and now legal counsel to Bush, has been making the rounds of Capitol Hill, talking to members of the Senate Judiciary Committee while the president and his aides used every opportunity to promote her candidacy.

So far, it appears, to no avail.

"I think, if you were to hold the vote today, she would not get a majority, either in the Judiciary Committee or on the floor," said Democratic Senator Charles Schumer, who appeared on NBC's "Meet the Press" show Sunday.

He said he was aware of only one or two members of the committee, who firmly support the nominee right now and that hearings set to begin November 7 would be a make-or-break undertaking for Miers.

"I think you have concern on these three areas -- qualification, independence, judicial philosophy -- by people of both parties and all political stripes," Schumer pointed out.

Arlen Specter, Republican chairman of the committee, confirmed the votes were not there at this time, and Miers would have to perform persuasively during the hearings to win over lawmakers.

"People haven't made up their minds. I haven't made up my mind," he admitted on the CBS "Face the Nation" program.

Asked how he would rate the nominee's chances, he remained circumspect, saying somewhat cautiously, "She can be confirmed."
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Yeah, they'll probably try a procedural change, or shove her in on a lunch break when nobody is looking.. maybe rewrite the confirmation rules altogether to suit their whims, they do that from time to time..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Well why the f*ck should she be confirmed?!? She's got no damn track record for people to know where she would stand on impt. legal issues other than that she's another of Bushy's puppets.

And on top of that, she's got bad hair and garish makeup.

^^ she should be confirmed cuz she thinks Bush was teh best governor EVAR
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

She really does need a makeover, stat. He certainly goes for the butch types, have you noticed?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information