Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraq civilian deaths unjustified

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Angry Iraq civilian deaths unjustified

Official: Iraq civilian deaths unjustified

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

Investigators believe that their criminal investigation into the deaths of about two dozen Iraqi civilians points toward a conclusion that Marines committed unprovoked murders, a senior defense official said Friday.

The Marine Corps initially reported 15 deaths and said they were caused by a roadside bomb and an ensuing firefight with insurgents. A separate investigation is seeking to determine if Marines lied to cover up the killings.

The official, who discussed the matter on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the yet-to-be-completed investigation, said the evidence developed by investigators strongly indicates the killings last November in the insurgent-plagued city of Haditha in the western province of Anbar were unjustified.

The official did not disclose specific evidence. The incident, if confirmed, could be the most serious case of criminal misconduct by U.S. troops during three years of combat in Iraq.

A spokesman at Marine Corps headquarters in the Pentagon, Lt. Col. Scott Fazekas, declined to comment on the status of the investigation. He said no information would be provided until the probe was completed.

According to a congressional aide, lawmakers were told in a briefing Thursday that it appears as many as two dozen civilians were killed. And they were told that the investigation will find that "it will be clear that this was not the result of an accident or a normal combat situation."

Another congressional official said lawmakers were told it would be about 30 days before a report would be issued by the investigating agency, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

Pentagon spokesman Eric Ruff said Friday he believes the investigation is winding down, but he would not comment on what the evidence shows.

Ruff would not characterize the extent of Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's concern about the matter, but said he is being kept apprised of the investigations.

Ruff said he did not expect any announcements in the next few days.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060526/...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

2 dozen?! Try 30,000!

Default Re: Iraq civilian deaths unjustified

that's the Bush official count.

The Red Cross puts the death toll closer to 100,000
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Those deaths are truly unjustified.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

100,000? wow thats truly lovely, and i wonder how that compares to how many Saddam did? I swear to god; Bush is the AntiChrist!

There hasn't been any evidence presented. I support the United States Marines and I'm sure (until I hear evidence) as I live and breathe that they our finest American men we have. I'd rather have a generation of U.S. Marines defending my family in this time of war declared on US soil in 2001 than a generation of slacker web designers and party planners. A rant? Maybe. This seems like predictable liberal propaganda to undermine our courageous soliders. I know you all hate me but I have a voice too and I only ask that you don't say 1) I'm a republican 2)a Bush bot 3)some religous nut. Thank you.

So you honestly believe that NO civilians have died at American, or specifically, your beloved Marine Corps hands? Or, if they did, they "must have deserved it?" My quotes, not yours. *unbelievable*

Keep digging your head in the sand. You wouldn't want reality to intrude. Nosiree.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPool
    There hasn't been any evidence presented. I support the United States Marines and I'm sure (until I hear evidence) as I live and breathe that they our finest American men we have. I'd rather have a generation of U.S. Marines defending my family in this time of war declared on US soil in 2001 than a generation of slacker web designers and party planners. A rant? Maybe. This seems like predictable liberal propaganda to undermine our courageous soliders. I know you all hate me but I have a voice too and I only ask that you don't say 1) I'm a republican 2)a Bush bot 3)some religous nut. Thank you.
    Yes, we're undermining your courageous soldiers. In fact, that's the plan all along. Why, you ask? Well you should know. You're the one who says we're undermining your courageous soldiers.

There must be a reason why, so since you slapped that label on the 'liberals' who are doing their damndest to 'undermine' said soldiers, you must know why.

I don't hate you, but I think you're parroting a lot of useless, silly and black & white right-wing talking points that make absolutely no fucking sense if you stop to think for 2 seconds.

Why is it everything devolves into 2 categories for you people?

category 1) You smile, nod and agree with anything the military does, you don't question, you don't hold your support or condemnation in reserve till you know what's going on, you have to support the troops NO MATTER WHAT as a default.

category 2) If you don't support the troops 100 percent (despite not having all the information, but that is apparently not important) you're a terrorist sympathizer/traitor/unpatriotic/unamerican, blah blah blah

Guess what: Not every one of your marines is an example of 'the finest men', and not every one of them is courageous. Enough of them were wearing necklaces made out of human ears after a few massacres in Vietnam. Were they 'the finext example of men' or anywhere near 'courageous'? What we have here might be a repeat of that.

Jesus christ, do you live in a world where everything fits into those neat slots? Where the entirety of human emotion and experience is discarded but for 2 extremes?

That shows a striking lack of maturity.

Here's an idea: We'll hold our tongues on what went on (like we have been, because hey.. we don't know anything yet) and you hold your tongue regarding the incredible unstainable character of the marines that you have in your head (despite the example I provided earlier), and we'll just wait and see what DID happen.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Is thinking something that right-wing ideologues are good at?

Not really. It's even worse when you have an ex-jarhead, pro-military rah rah individual who exists in a fantasyland where their beloved corps does no wrong.. EVER.

p.s. Of course I'd want fucking marines protecting me if a war broke out.. do you think web designers have the training to do that? God, what an asinine comparison.

p.s.s. IRAQ DID NOT DECLARE WAR ON THE US.

I do support most of the marines but not the cause. What kind of facts would you need? What would make it "official" to you? Who would have to say it in order for you to believe it?

See, I can't support the marines who are brainwashed and fed misinformation to carry out an illegal war.

Especially the 85% who think they're there to avenge Saddam causing 9/11. Yikes.

^True but I do feel bad for the ones that know that the war is illegal and had nothing else to do in life. Some of my cousins that grew up in the ghetto had no other way out.

Defecting to Canada wasn't an option i guess.. or conscientious objector status?

I bet Bush removed the latter as a viable alternative.

I'm waiting to see the evidence in this particular case. I am ex-navy (female aviation mechanic, whoopty doo) not jarhead. Besides the Marines, on some level, are enjoying the F out of this coverage. If you have any military training you'd understand that. My feeling is that once we captured the former dictator of iraq we should've cleaned up our mess and be done with that mission. I say the enemy is elsewhere and within anyway. We are so far divided as a nation.. where do we go from here?

*correction* I should have said our finest men and women instead of just our finest men

I equate all military, support personell, hangers on, groupies as jarheads. They're all part of the same violent political arm.

My feeling is that this whole nonsense about "have to capture saddam!" was blown smoke up so many stupid peoples asses.. nobody seemed to care about Saddam gassing the kurds and iranians back in the 80's when he was bosom buddies with Rumsfeld under Reagan. Imagine why!

This whole endeavor is such a crock on every imaginable level. All this ballyhoo about 'UN resolutions not having been obeyed', etc etc. How many countries have disobeyed? 100% of them. Hell, Israel alone has 30 against it that it has conveniently ignored. Then there's the cooked evidence from the CIA, the ballfaced lies...

.. and still, a good chunk of military personell choose to believe it, and the vaunted character of whatever unit they're attached to. They have drilled into them this silly, elitist notion of belong to a group that is superior for reasons A, B, C, or D and become so confident in that groups infallibility that it blinds them. They cease to be people and become strange automatons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information