Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the arguments against gay marriage?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Question What are the arguments against gay marriage?

I'm really curious and I don't want to google this, but what exactly are the arguments against gay marriage? I just don't get how this govt. wants to ban it or why; so i need some explanation if anyone knows what any "valid" reasons for the ban are...thanks.

Specter to Feingold: 'I don't need to be lectured by you'
    Same-sex marriage hearing gets testy; amendment passes

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Senate committee approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage Thursday, after a shouting match that ended when one Democrat strode out and the Republican chairman bid him "good riddance."

"I don't need to be lectured by you. You are no more a protector of the Constitution than am I," Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, shouted after Sen. Russ Feingold declared his opposition to the amendment, his affinity for the Constitution and his intention to leave the meeting.

"If you want to leave, good riddance," Specter finished.

"I've enjoyed your lecture, too, Mr. Chairman," replied Feingold, D-Wisconsin, who is considering a run for president in 2008. "See ya."

Amid increasing partisan tension over President Bush's judicial nominees and domestic wiretapping, the panel voted along party lines to send the constitutional amendment -- which would prohibit states from recognizing same-sex marriages -- to the full Senate, where it stands little chance of passing.

Democrats complained that bringing up the amendment is a purely political move designed to appeal to the GOP's conservative base in this year of midterm elections. Under the domed ceiling of the ornate and historic President's Room off the Senate floor, senators voted 10-8 to send the measure forward.

Among Feingold's objections was Specter's decision to hold the vote in the President's Room, where access by the general public is restricted, instead of in the panel's usual home in the Dirksen Senate Office Building.

Specter later said he would have been willing to hold the session in the usual room had he thought doing so would change votes.

Not all those who voted "yes" support the amendment, however. Specter said he is "totally opposed" to it, but felt it deserved a debate in the Senate.

"Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman," reads the measure, which would require approval by two-thirds of Congress and three-fourths of the states.

"Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman," it says.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has scheduled a vote on the proposed amendment the week of June 5.

Cultural debate
    The issue has ignited a cultural and political debate over what constitutes marriage and the legal rights of gay partners.

Earlier this week, Georgia announced it will appeal a judge's ruling that struck down its voter-approved ban on gay marriage. Gov. Sonny Perdue said he will call a special legislative session if the state Supreme Court doesn't rule on the issue soon.

The Georgia constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage was approved by 76 percent of the state's voters in November 2004. On Tuesday, however, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Constance C. Russell ruled the measure violated the Georgia constitution's single-subject rules for ballot questions.

The issue has been on the political radar across the nation for more than two years.

On Election Day in 2004, a presidential year, initiatives on gay marriage and civil unions were on the ballot in 11 states, driven in part by opposition to the Massachusetts state Supreme Judicial Court's recognition of same-sex marriage and Republican calculations that the issue would send conservative voters to the polls.

Two states -- Louisiana and Missouri -- had approved bans earlier in the year.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/....ap/index.html
    could we quit wasting time and money on these issues and national "Defense" and spend more on Education of our children & the preservation of what environment we have left please?????????!!!!!!!!????????????

Default Re: What are the arguments against gay marriage?

The reason are:

1) God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

2) It will somehow corrupt children (being gay isn't ok, and you can simply convince people to be gay apparently)

3) It will destroy traditional marriage. (name one instance of gays getting married that has directly impacted anybody elses marriage)

4) It will 'cheapen' traditional marriage (like Las Vegas and The Bachelor haven't done that already)

5)Gays aren't people, it's unnatural, God this, God that, Jesus this Jesus that, blah blah blah blah (insert favorite stupidity here)
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

You know I was about to give the fundie short version of this that I've been listening to idiots spout for years but Grimm beat me to it. You just got one thing wrong. Fundies say that the Bible calls homosexuals abominations because of some scriptures dealing with masturbation and sodomites that are actually pretty vague if you read them you could read anything into them you wanted.

The always retarded, "If we allow homosexuals to marry each other, what's next? People marrying dogs and horses?"

It's mind boggling in its stupidity that in allowing two men or women to marry each other, it necessarily follows that people would want to marry a cockatiel next.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

The polygamists are drooling on themselves with delight over the possibility of gay marriage because they think it's going to open the door to all types of marriages. I don't think two committed adults of any sex marrying each other is akin to one old guy with twenty child brides dressed like Laura Ingalls Wilder on a cult ranch.

Well if you let the gays marry, then you have to let polygamy happen.. why that's bad (if all adults are in agreement) i have no idea..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Well if you let the gays marry, then you have to let polygamy happen.. why that's bad (if all adults are in agreement) i have no idea..
    My problem with polygamy is it usually involves women too young to give legal consent and it's a subtext for female bondage and opression.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    The always retarded, "If we allow homosexuals to marry each other, what's next? People marrying dogs and horses?"

It's mind boggling in its stupidity that in allowing two men or women to marry each other, it necessarily follows that people would want to marry a cockatiel next.
    That's always bothered me too. It's a spectacular leap of logic to assume that what goes on between two consenting adults is somehow the gateway to zoophilia.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix
    Cockatiels are sexy.
    Unless they bite. Mine bites.

If the bird can talk, would that mean that it could give its consent?

^OMG, like the parrot in Scary Movie 2! "Polly wants your momma's sweet ass!"

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect
    If the bird can talk, would that mean that it could give its consent?
    Hell, I've been bird raped by the non talking ones. Does that mean I'm at fault. My foot will never be the same.

Shouldn't have worn the red nail polish WHORE!
    It was the white sneaker that started it all... he started bowing and cooing and then humped the hell out of my white sneaker followed by a stuffed animal, a blanket, a winter hat and finally a old sweater.. he has a white fetish.

Racist bird!

that's too funny! sounds like everything in your house got a little 'sweet birdy lovin'.

(maybe you could just rub its vent a little sometimes. just a little.)
    I got tired of having my foot covered in sweet birdy lovin' so I gave him away to a friend of mine with a huge farm who happened to have a female white dove like him. He's happy and getting laid regularly now. He's so tame that my pal takes him to elementary schools for the kids to handle when she gives demonstrations about different kinds of animals. He was so sweet but so oversexed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information