Thread: Wealthy Republicans say those who earn 40K or less don't pay taxes *laughs*

Talking Wealthy Republicans say those who earn 40K or less don't pay taxes *laughs*

WASHINGTON, DC—James E. Clyburn, Chairman of the Democratic Caucus today responded to stunning remarks delivered by Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert. Summing up Republican budget and tax priorities around midnight on May 18, 2006, Hastert made clear just how out of touch he is with working Americans by stating that people who earn $40,000 a year don’t pay taxes. His statement, "Well, folks, if you earn $40,000 a year and have a family of two, you don't pay any taxes. So you probably, if you don't pay any taxes, you are not going to get a big tax cut." Following is Clyburn’s statement:

"To this point, I have been baffled by Republican budget and tax priorities that value millionaires and billionaires above working families, and sink this nation’s budget deeper in debt every year. But Speaker Hastert crystallized GOP budget philosophy—working families don’t pay taxes and don’t deserve a tax cut.

"No statement has been more telling, stupid and out of touch. Today’s narrow passage signals the need for change, because the Republican majority will stop at nothing to advance a fiscally reckless and immoral budget. Democrats offer an alternative that values working families, by balancing the budget by 2012; increases funding for homeland security and enacts all the 9/11 Commission's recommendations; values our first responders and invests in port and mass transit security; and fully supports veterans' health care and honors those who have bravely and selflessly served our nation."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

Default Re: Wealthy Republicans say those who earn 40K or less don't pay taxes *laughs*

isn't the average wage like..20-30k a year?

Default Re: Wealthy Republicans say those who earn 40K or less don't pay taxes *laughs*

All together now . . .

B U L L S H I T!!!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Can you believe someone, especially a person in that position, could be so fucking stupid as to actually give that statement?

These people don't have a clue as to how the 98% who aren't wealthy live!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

more like 99% and it's getting higher, and THEY'RE GETTING RICHER!!!!

Um, what?? He needs to lay off the horse....

What's truly disturbing is the people who believe that horseshit. I believe Dennis Hastert knows what he's saying is pure and utter bullshit, but knows that some assholes out there will believe either because: 1. they're retarded or 2. they have to cling to it otherwise they have to admit they're part of a political party that is out of its tree.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Maybe he needs to join his pal Patrick Kennedy at The Mayo Clinic eh??

If he really believes this, he has serious, serious issues w/reality, everyday life, the common man, his constituants (sp?), taxes/tax bases and basically everything in between.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I'm not surprised, in fact, I was getting ready to post something to the same effect about how out of touch the administration, congress and the senate are with average Joes.

I have a question for every American on the board. Are you better off now than you were before Dubya took office or are you doing worse?

For our family we're worse off. For the first time since the Reagan years we've struggled to make it, particularly once we were down to one income because of my protracted recovery time from surgery. We did well under Clinton, we did well under Bush Senior and for the first of the Chimpenfurer's two terms. But now, even though the Mr. makes a hefty salary we struggle and can put very little aside for savings. I'd be really worried if we hadn't amassed a big stock portfolio and properties in the previous administration. My business took a hit because I lost some of the tax incentives/small business breaks I had in the last few years. I had to hire people to work enough of my business to keep it viable in the last year while I was ill and I've been swamped with medical bills and prescription drug costs even if we have the best medical insurance available. Our expenses have jumped because of this stupid war, the price of gas and the climbing inflation rate. On our taxes we're being taxed when we earn money, when we save that same money, etc. while the rich skate on taxes. Both the Mr and I are talking about taking second jobs to get through this money crunch. I reuse things, patch, mend, don't run my ac and planted a huge garden but I fear it's not enough to get us past it.

Everyone I talk to seems to be in the same boat and I'm afraid things are going to be getting much worse before long.

^^To answer you UG: We (myself and family) are not better off than we were in 2000. We are not necessarily worse off, but definitely not a lot of growth.....

Thread Information