Thread: Delay tries a new tactic...

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Delay tries a new tactic...

AUSTIN, Texas Oct 21, 2005 Rep. Tom DeLay appeared in court Friday for the first time since his indictment, but arraignment on conspiracy and money laundering charges was delayed pending a hearing on his request for a new judge.

DeLay, who has had to step aside as House majority leader, did not speak during the brief court session, and was not called on to make a plea. But at a news conference shortly afterward, he attacked the prosecutor in the case as politically motivated, and said, "I will absolutely be exonerated."

Earlier, inside the courtroom, Judge Bob Perkins told defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin, that "the best way for me to handle" the request for a new judge would be to defer further proceedings.

In a courtroom session that ran less than 10 minutes, DeGuerin noted that Perkins had donated money to MoveOn.org, a liberal organization that he said has been selling T-shirts bearing the image of DeLay's mug shot.

"I haven't ever seen that t-shirt, number one," said Perkins, adding he hadn't bought one, either.

He said as far as he could recall, he hadn't donated to the organization since before the 2004 election, "when they were helping John Kerry."

At a news conference outside the courthouse, DeGuerin said, "all we want is a fair trial and a fair tribunal."

But prosecutor Ronnie Earle, whom DeLay once denounced as a "partisan zealot," brushed aside the request for a new judge.

"What this means is if a judge had contributed to Crime Stoppers that judge could not hear a burglary case," Earle said. "Carried to its extreme, that is what I think this motion means and I think that's absurd."

"We don't live in a country where political party determines the measure of justice," Earle said, adding that he though DeLay could get a fair trial in the state's capital.

It was not clear when the hearing would be held on DeLay's motion to replace Perkins, nor was it clear how long it might delay proceedings in the case.

DeLay appeared relaxed as he sat next to his wife in the courtroom. Earlier, he had entered the courthouse through a side door to avoid the cameras.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"We don't live in a country where political party determines the measure of justice," Earle said, adding that he though DeLay could get a fair trial in the state's capital.
    ROFLMAO, is this guy for real? Has he taken a look at the country he lives in lately?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information