Thread: Senators rap Supreme Court choice

Default Senators rap Supreme Court choice

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4362544.stm

US senators vetting the nominee for the Supreme Court vacancy, Harriet Miers, have criticised her for giving inadequate answers to their questions.
    Sen Patrick Leahy, top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said some of her replies were only a single word, seen as "incomplete to insulting".

The panel has told Ms Miers it wants more detailed information ahead of her confirmation hearing next month.

President George W Bush, who nominated Ms Miers, defended his decision.

Critics have questioned the credentials of Ms Miers - a lawyer who has never served as a judge - to sit on the Supreme Court, one of the most influential bodies in US public life.

'Chaotic' process

Republican Arlen Specter, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he and Sen Leahy had agreed the answers given by Ms Miers to the panel's questionnaire were "insufficient".

The committee has written to Ms Miers asking her to provide extra detail, particularly on her experience with constitutional issues.

Her lack of a judicial record means many questions remain over her legal experience and views.

However, in her defence, Sen Specter suggested the "chaotic" nature of Ms Miers' nomination process so far was down to her busy workload and factors, such as media interest, outside her control.

Ms Miers swiftly replied to the panel, saying she would "work to provide additional materials".

Questioned about Ms Miers while at a joint press conference with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, Mr Bush rebuffed the criticism.

He acknowledged that Ms Miers, a close White House aide, had emerged from a "little different process from the norm" but suggested much of the opposition was because she lacked a clear-cut record as a judge.

The process would show that she was a "competent, strong, capable woman", he said, who shared his conservative judicial philosophy.

If approved by the Senate, Ms Miers, 60, will take up the place left by Sandra Day O'Connor, considered the holder of a key swing vote on the court.

On the Republican right, some conservative groups have expressed disappointment with Ms Miers' nomination, saying they had been promised a staunchly conservative candidate.

it doesnt matter what your resume is

Bush just wants a pliant republican puppet his party can twist to their will for the next 30 years.

They're trying to remove impartiality and create an empire. Good place to start.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

No, but 2 or 3 appointees will tip the courts in favor of republican empirical aspirations.

Oh gee...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information