Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George W. Bush explains slow reaction to September 11 attacks

Cool George W. Bush explains slow reaction to September 11 attacks

Bush explains slow reaction to September 11 attacks - Yahoo! News

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former President George W. Bush says his apparent lack of reaction to the first news of the September 11 2001 attacks was a conscious decision to project an aura of calm in a crisis.
    In a rare interview with the National Geographic Channel, Bush reflects on what was going through his mind at the most dramatic moment of his presidency when he was informed that a second passenger jet had hit New York's World Trade Center.
    Bush was visiting a Florida classroom and the incident, which was caught on TV film, and has often been used by critics to ridicule his apparently blank face.
    "My first reaction was anger. Who the hell would do that to America? Then I immediately focused on the children, and the contrast between the attack and the innocence of children," Bush says in an excerpt of the interview shown to television writers on Thursday.
    Bush said he could see the news media at the back of the classroom getting the news on their own cellphones "and it was like watching a silent movie."
    Bush said he quickly realized that a lot of people beyond the classroom would be watching for his reaction.
    "So I made the decision not to jump up immediately and leave the classroom. I didn't want to rattle the kids. I wanted to project a sense of calm," he said of his decision to remain seated and silent.
    "I had been in enough crises to know that the first thing a leader has to do is to project calm," he added.
    The National Geographic Channel will broadcast the hour-long interview on August 28 as part of a week of programs on the cable network called "Remembering 9/11" that mark the 10th anniversary of the attacks.
    The interview was recorded over two days in May, without any questions being submitted in advance, the channel said.
    National Geographic said Bush gives "intimate details" of his thoughts and feelings in a way never seen before. Most of the interview is about the first minutes and hours of the day that Islamic militants hijacked four planes and crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
    Executive producer and director Peter Schnall said Bush, who has adopted a low public profile since leaving office in January 2009, brought no notes to the interview.
    "What you hear is the personal story of a man who also happened to be our president. Listening to him describe how he grappled with a sense of anger and frustration coupled with his personal mandate to lead our country through this devastating attack was incredibly powerful," Schnall said.
    U.S. television networks are planning a slew of specials to mark the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11 attacks. Those on National Geographic also include a documentary on the continuing U.S. war on terror, and stories of ordinary people on Sept, 11 2001 called "Where Were You?"

To me, Bush is so childlike in a lot of ways. I get that he focuses on his anger, but like a child, he doesn't yet have the skills necessary to effectively articulate himself...so, he lashes out, or he shuts down. I think that's what really happened here...he heard the news, freaked out internally because he just didn't have the cognitive skills to cope. He did not project "calm"...he projected compete and utter fear and incompetence. And now, 10 years later, he expects us to believe it was all planned. That he reacted to protect the children and their innocence? Really? Not buying it.

Don't know if this is accurate (it IS Bush, after all), but all I do know is that if I'm the POTUS and my country has just suffered an attack on native soil, I'm outta there before you can say "man down" and I'm no longer listening to bunny stories. I'm not sitting in a chair with a douche-in-the-headlights look, wondering what it all means. My God, man - use your friggin' head.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

He's lying. If that were true, he'd have stopped explaining it to people by now. STFU, George.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    To me, Bush is so childlike in a lot of ways. I get that he focuses on his anger, but like a child, he doesn't yet have the skills necessary to effectively articulate himself...so, he lashes out, or he shuts down. I think that's what really happened here...he heard the news, freaked out internally because he just didn't have the cognitive skills to cope. He did not project "calm"...he projected compete and utter fear and incompetence. And now, 10 years later, he expects us to believe it was all planned. That he reacted to protect the children and their innocence? Really? Not buying it.
    Yeah he had this "oh shit what should I do now" look on his face. That was a very good analysis btw. Bush always reminded me of a frat guy with arrested development.

God I hate this guy. I am already dreading the 10th Anniversary crap about this. And I don't say that out of disrespect to the victims and families/friends of everyone that suffered that day, but to see his smug ass back on TV rewriting history is just INSULTING. To everyone.

Bitch please.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Yeah he had this "oh shit what should I do now" look on his face. That was a very good analysis btw. Bush always reminded me of a frat guy with arrested development.
    He had the "I gotta call mah daddy 'n ask 'em what to do" look on his face.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

To be fair he had tried to leave the building, but sat back down after he couldn't figure out the door.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

LOL

How stupid to explain (try to explain or make excuses) almost 10 yrs later? wtf

DAP

Thank God he's gone.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by MsChiff View Post
    LOL

How stupid to explain (try to explain or make excuses) almost 10 yrs later? wtf
    Then people should stop asking him. It's not like he brought it up himself.. it's for a 10 year anniversary television program.

What should he have done in this situation? Honestly..I'm not a fan of his.. but no matter what George would have done.. everyone would be giving him shit.

I don't know how any person in the position would have acted. It was an unprecedented occasion, and very confusing in the beginning even for those of us who could see it happening. When the first plane hit most of us thought it was an accident. It wasn't really until the second plane that what was happening was clear, and even then it was and it wasn't.

It's a tough call, but I can cut the bastard slack on these 8 minutes. It's the other 8 years of his presidency that are inexcusable.

The media saturation for the 10 year anniversary will be sickening for a million reasons.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 31st, 2011 at 04:43 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think he's confusing 'calm' with 'dumbfuck'.

I remember turning on the TV and thinking it was a trailer for a movie. It was surreal. His explanation is bullshit. It probably took him that long to register how serious the attack was. Bush is a dumbass but I wonder what the person actually told him and if it conveyed the reality of the situation.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information