Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: -= Remember When? =-

Thumbs up -= Remember When? =-

REMEMBER WHEN you displayed your flag on the front porch on the 4th of July, and you didn’t have to worry about whether it would be misinterpreted as support for a corrupt president and his administration?

REMEMBER WHEN ‘Support the Troops’ meant equipping our military with everything necessary for battle, instead of just being a catchy phrase that looked good on a bumper-sticker?

REMEMBER WHEN your tax dollars paid for things like improved education and social programs, instead of making Halliburton shareholders millionaires?

REMEMBER WHEN you watched movies about WWII, and it was the enemy who tortured captured American soldiers, instead of American soldiers torturing the people they’d allegedly ‘liberated’?

REMEMBER WHEN you heard something on the TV news or read something in a newspaper, and you didn’t have to go to the internet to find out just how much of it was fact, and how much of it was ‘spin’?

REMEMBER WHEN a politician was caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he resigned in disgrace, instead of excusing his own behaviour by claiming that his political opponents were equally as guilty of wrongdoing?

REMEMBER WHEN ‘Made in the USA’ labels on products were the norm, and not a total oddity?

REMEMBER WHEN you hitchhiked through Europe as a teenager, and you DIDN’T have to replace the American flag on your knapsack with a Canadian flag in order to be a welcomed guest in a foreign country?

REMEMBER WHEN organized crime figures had to make phone calls from the corner phone booth, because they were the only people who had to worry about wire-taps?

REMEMBER WHEN telling a fellow politician on the floor of the House to ‘go f*ck himself’ was considered behaviour unbecoming an elected official, instead of being accepted as the way a Vice President behaves himself?

REMEMBER WHEN you could pretty well count on the fact that if the president said it, it was based on sound intelligence and was probably true?

REMEMBER WHEN you could rely on your elected representatives to put your interests ahead of the corporations that filled their campaign coffers, or the lobbyists who gave them great basketball tickets?

REMEMBER WHEN you didn’t even KNOW what religion the people you voted for were, because it didn’t really matter? Remember when you didn’t know what party your neighbour belonged to, because that didn’t really matter either?

REMEMBER WHEN the pension you’d worked for your whole life wasn’t in danger of being wiped out by corrupt CEOs, assisted by respected accounting firms that made that corruption almost impossible to detect?

REMEMBER WHEN you could brag that as an American, you were guaranteed things like free speech and due process of law, without checking the nightly news to see whether those rights were still in effect?

REMEMBER WHEN the president upheld the law of the land, instead of coming up with ‘legal loopholes’ to support the idea that he’s above the law?

REMEMBER WHEN you could say, “I’m a proud American,” without qualifying it with a list of all of the things your government is doing that you’re not exactly proud of?

REMEMBER WHEN you actually thought that the people in charge of running your country were smarter than you were?

REMEMBER WHEN your parents worked all their lives to ensure you a better life, instead of worrying about how bad the life they’d be leaving their children might be?

REMEMBER WHEN the importance of clean drinking water and breathable air were unquestionable mandates, and not some crazy hippie agenda to be weighed against corporate profits?

REMEMBER WHEN questioning your government’s policies was seen as ‘participating in the process’, and not ‘giving aid and comfort to the enemy’?

REMEMBER WHEN the ‘enemy’ was a country or military force that posed a threat to American democracy, and not a nation of innocent civilians who whose destruction was dismissible as ‘collateral damage’?

REMEMBER WHEN your country went to war based on facts beforehand, instead of constantly-changing suppositions after-the-fact?

REMEMBER WHEN ‘patriotism’ was judged by your words and actions, and not by whether you were a member of the party currently in power?

REMEMBER WHEN the ‘American Dream’ was attainable through diligence and hard work, and not the luck of the ‘outsourcing’ draw?

REMEMBER WHEN the election of a president was considered the result of democracy in action, and not the result of Diebold executives doing the job they were expected to do?

REMEMBER WHEN you sang ‘God Bless America’ as a kid, and never thought you’d grow up to wonder if, in view of your country’s actions, asking God’s blessing was asking a bit too much?

I REMEMBER WHEN … and I wonder if these ideas will become ancient history by the time those of us old enough to recall them are dead and gone.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: -= Remember When? =-

I was actually thinking about this kind of stuff yesterday. I remember being so proud that I would sing any patriotic song at school. Sadly, I haven't felt like that for a while now.

And that justifies turning the U.S. into a fascist state?

I am not a naive person. I am as aware of terrorism and its causes and implications as you are, and maybe even more so. Taking away Americans civil liberties has NOTHING to do with terrorism, just as the war in Iraq had NOTHING to do with Osama bin Laden.

THAT is naive in my opinion, but as a Canadian, I couldn't possibly know anything. Did you ever think that maybe if the U.S. wasn't so war-like and aggressive, that maybe they wouldn't be the target of so much hate? Just a thought.

I am sick and fucking tired of people like you who over-react to everything. As it so happens, I knew someone who died in 9/11.

As always, you and people like you, are putting a lot of words in my mouth that I never said. This "discussion" is over.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    Remember when...we didn't have to worry about terrorists, and worry about when the next bomb would hit?

Remember when... we didn't know about what really happened in government, and that JFK had a million mistresses?

Remember when...President Clinton got a blow job, and that was the biggest story in the news?

Remember when...welfare really worked?

Remember when...the twin towers still stood?

Remember when...America won the cold war?

Remember when...America was never threatened, and so didn't have to pull out the big guns, and everybody liked us?

Remember when...we got rid of Hitler? During WWII, and our soldiers were tortured??????

Remember when...you had never heard of Osama Bin Laden?

Remember when...people actually remembered Osama Bin Laden, and what he did to our country?

As a Canadian I can tell you, Mushy, not all of us ignore what happened surrounding 9/11 and think the U.S. deserved it. I am embarassed of the Canadians who put off that kind of sentiment. I don't need to have had anyone I know die in such a catastophe to understand it's impact. It is unfortunate that some people just don't seem to "get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    You know what, I am sick and tired of hearing that the war on Iraq had nothing to do with the terrorism wrought on our country. I am also sick and tired of hearing that we deserved 9/11. The fact that you overlook the innocent lives lost in 9/11 by terrorists, by saying that the dead deserved it because of our government, and the fact that you gloss over the atrocities done by Saddam Hussein in order to point out how our government is going there for oil, makes me wonder how your country would act if threatened. Why are you so concerned about another countries' civil liberties, when you apparently don't give a fuck about those murdered on 9/11?????

You are sitting up there in Canada, without a care in the world, just like we were in 1999, 2000 and so on. BOOM!!! Bloodshed, death and terror.
    What did your government do to deserve this? Better shore up and make sure your government is doing absolutely nothing wrong, or else we will say, huh, you deserved it.

What a convoluted piece of bullshit. When were you when 5,000 Kurds were gassed? Who helped arm and train Osama & Co?

We all remember and cried when the Towers fell, us Canadians were there for you Americans in every way from offering our airports to damn near all of the East Coast housing and feeding the people on those airplanes for days. We were there joining the military action against Osama and Afghanistan.

We, as do most of the rest of the world understood that Iraq had NOTHING to do with the Twin Towers and the military action against Iraq was unjustified.

You need to pull your flag waving head outta your ass and learn some facts. The current mess in the Middle East is a direct result of American meddling and then being too stupid to even be aware of what was going on.

We are neither naive nor unaware, the fundamental difference between Canadians and Americans is that we don't try to interfere with other governments and offer clandestine troops and other aid to prop up tin-pot despots. That may be the real reason we don't really fear being a major target of some oppressed faction that has been exploited for American interests.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Noone in this thread ever said Americans deserved to be attacked by terrorists or the ppl that died in 9/11 deserved it. You have to understand though that it is still important to seek the reasons behind such atrocities and be able to do the best to solve such problems and prevent them in the future. Holding your government accountable does not mean that its citizens deserved it.
    Nobody deserves to die by terrorism, genocide or war regardless of nationality or ethnicity.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Silver Member

None of you know what really is going on. I suggest you play nice and then we'll eat a sandwich together. Now, breathe!

Good post, moomies.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

SVZ

There's a great scene from Futurama, where Fry has to push a big red button to launch a missile, but he misses. That's what I feel Bush did

I feel the need for a big ole group hug!

Moomies you are dead on, and as anyone who has read my posts in this section, I will always maintain that the majority of people in ANY country just wants to be able to live their lives, raise their kids, and have a home and food enough to feed their families. The average person isn't involved in these wars and conflicts, they are just the ones dying in them....
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

1) Osama is a creation, a boogyman to scare the US with and 9/11 was planned by the administration in power, much like the Iraq invasion was pre-planned.

2) Osama is the trained, educated and funded creation of the US, who has since turned and attacked the US for its own imperialist aggressions.

It's one of those 2 things. Either the US is complicit in creating this hideous monster, or it has created a simulacrum, a fake ghost to scare its own population with.

Either way, it's a crapshoot for the US populace. The US is not completely blameless for 9/11 in any capacity. Either the administration in power faked the whole thing, or the perpetrator of this heinous act is a product of short-sighted stratego/political gain by the US and slipped out from under said control to wreak havoc.

Either way, Osama is a US based creation and this whole absurdity of being shocked that he attacked the WTC, and the surprise that said creation could turn against its master (despite the lesson of noriega) is wholly false, and misleading.

In any event, be it fake or otherwise, this PERSON is your creation. Stop acting so surprised he turned on you, and stop cranking up the spin maching to reflect this idiotic shock that your frankenstein chose to lop off your head after you taught him everything he knows.

It's sickening.

How anybody believes this nonsense is beyond me, but there are always those simpleminded tools willing to scream whatever propaganda their government tells them to instead engaging in rational thought and disemmination.

Stop. Think. It'll do you a world of good.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

As much as I agree(apparently) with most of your beliefs about our current administration..I have to say WTF? about your list here. alot of it has nothing to do with this government and what it has perpetrated. So there are not so many made in USA labels anymore..uh..hello?..same with much of the first world..same thing is happening to Canada. Again what could have been an interesting thread read is clouded over by your increasingly obvious bias toward anything and everything American! You really are fixated on this country and have an unrelenting enmity that extends beyond the political sphere. And.. one more thing...YOU would no be able to remember alot of these things because once again YOU ARE NOT AN AMERICAN.

I have again and again given you the benefit of the doubt but I really am just starting to believe that you plain and simply hate this country, have hated it and will continue to hate it and it's inhabitants no matter how the political situation changes here(if it does..*prays for change*) Of course I am sure none of this really matters since I suspect that you don't give a rats ass about any of us down here and our beliefs or opinions..and probably those of anyone else at all for that matter. It is sad when your obvious intellect, wealth of information and wit are lost to an inherent and pervasive anti-Americanism.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Why is it people continue to trot out the baseless and silly "You hate America and everything in it!" argument when I talk about the administrations and their misdeeds?

Could we be a little more knee-jerk and downright stupid? Seriously, you'd think people would clue in by now. It's almost as worn out as "Saddam = 9/11"

I have lots of American friends, I've had a good time in many American cities, and yet I guess by your logic I hate those people and the places I've been because I criticize the government. Mercy me, why didn't I get the memo?

Stop being the typical blind patriot, screaming "you hate murrica cuz you say bad things bout our govmint!" anytime someone tosses some WELL DESERVED criticism at the various shady dealings your government affects THE WORLD with.

Christ on a crutch, I may have overstimated some people. Scary.

p.s. I didn't write the list, some American did. I guess that person hates 'murrica too, and everything in it.

*eyeroll*

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information