Thread: Neocon blogger steps down from newspaper post after plagiarism

Thumbs up Neocon blogger steps down from newspaper post after plagiarism

NEW YORK A two-day effort by liberal bloggers to find, and publicize, numerous examples of plagiarism committed by Washington Post blogger Ben Domenech culminated today in calls that he give up his new position--from some of his conservative supporters.

One of them, most dramatically, is columnist and blogger Michelle Malkin. As an editor at Regnery, Domenech handled her most recent book.

Conservatives had hailed Domenech's appointment to write the Red America blog. "I cheered for Ben, the editor of my last book at Regnery, when he announced his new position," Malkin wrote on her Web site today. "I criticized unhinged bloggers on the Left who leveled vicious ad hominem attacks against him. It's clear, as the good folks at Red State (which Ben co-founded) note, that his detractors were on a search-and-destroy mission from the get-go.

"But now the determined moonbat hordes have exposed multiple instances of what clearly appear to me to be blatant lifting of entire, unique passages by Ben from other writers. It is one thing to paraphrase basic facts from a wire story. But to filch the original thoughts and distinctly crafted phrases of a writer without crediting him/her--and doing so repeatedly--is unacceptable in our business. Some of the cases occurred while Ben was in college; he is blaming an editor for these transgressions. But at least one other incident involved a piece he wrote for NRO after he graduated. The side-by-side comparisons of these extensive passages is damning.

"I certainly understand the impulse on the Right to rally around Domenech. But I can't ignore the plain evidence. And the charges can't be dismissed as 'lies' or jealousy attributed to Ben's age. As someone who has worked in daily journalism for 14 years, I have a lot of experience related to this horrible situation: I've had my work plagiarized by shameless word and idea thiefs many times over the years. I've also been baselessly accused of plagiarism by some of the same leftists now attacking Ben.

"The bottom line is: I know it when I see it. And, painfully, Domenech's detractors, are right. He should own up to it and step down. Then, the Left should cease its sick gloating and leave him and his family alone."

At the National Review's popular site, NRO Online, one of the regulars, Stephen Spruiell, commented, "This is bad. Perhaps it is not fatal, but we need explanations not just from Domenech, but also from the Washington Post on how it plans to handle this." One of the allegedly plagiarized articles appeared on NRO.

Conservative writer Rick Moran wrote today at The American Thinker site that "what simply cannot be tolerated in any venue where the written word is revered and opinions respected is plagiarism. And according to material dug up by several lefty bloggers, the shocking fact seems to be that Domenech is a word stealer of epic proportions, someone who has lifted entire articles from other sources and claimed the words and ideas as his own....

"With so many eloquent and able conservative writers, I’m sure the Post will have no problem finding someone else to take over a blog that should be espousing honesty and decency as the principles by which we on the right live by.

"Anything short of that just won’t do."

Another conservative blogger, Dan Riehl, commented: "No one with a healthy respect for original ideas, or the written words of others could do what it seems Domenech has done. If he’s guilty, his judgment displays a profound lack of moral and ethical grounding. Ambition is no excuse for theft. And that’s precisely what plagiarism is.

"I’m assuming the WaPo will act, if it hasn’t already. If guilty, allowing him to continue representing the Right would be terribly wrong."

Yesterday, Domenech, a co-founded of RedState.org, apologized for calling Coretta Scott King a "Communist" the day after her recent funeral.

I love how that bitch says "hey those lefty bloggers were right"" and then insults them in the same breath. She's got a lot of fucking audacity, the skank.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: *edit* neocon blogger steps down from newspaper post after plagiarism

Why not gloat? Or is gloating only permitted by the experts on the "moonbat" far right?

Default Re: *edit* neocon blogger steps down from newspaper post after plagiarism

Yay! GO LIBERAL BLOGGERS!

Ben Domenech Resigns

In the past 24 hours, we learned of allegations that Ben Domenech plagiarized material that appeared under his byline in various publications prior to washingtonpost.com contracting with him to write a blog that launched Tuesday.

An investigation into these allegations was ongoing, and in the interim, Domenech has resigned, effective immediately.

When we hired Domenech, we were not aware of any allegations that he had plagiarized any of his past writings. In any cases where allegations such as these are made, we will continue to investigate those charges thoroughly in order to maintain our journalistic integrity.

Plagiarism is perhaps the most serious offense that a writer can commit or be accused of. Washingtonpost.com will do everything in its power to verify that its news and opinion content is sourced completely and accurately at all times.

We appreciate the speed and thoroughness with which our readers and media outlets surfaced these allegations. Despite the turn this has taken, we believe this event, among other things, testifies to the positive and powerful role that the Internet can play in the the practice of journalism.

We also remain committed to representing a broad spectrum of ideas and ideologies in our Opinions area.

Jim Brady
    Executive Editor, washingtonpost.com
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Re: Neocon blogger steps down from newspaper post after plagiarism

Go Wash Post! Kick 'em out!

How long do you think it will take before this morphs into another "liberal media elite" conspiracy?

Washington Post has been skeezy about this whole thing though.. They originally said that they didn't hire people based on their political leanings and the next day said they were under-represented by right wing commentators..

Uh, so which is it? Besides, they're right wing enough, how about being NEUTRAL.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

It will take just as long as it takes for them to type it out and proof read it. I predict within the day, certainly before tomorrow morning..

Omg, look at this.. he's been making excuses that editors slipped in whole paragraphs to his work without him knowing, and that the liberal left is responsible for what happened, blah blah blah...typical neocon, wholly unable to accept responsibility for anything.. it's not his fault, its the rest of the world..his parting shot:

To my enemies: I take enormous solace in the fact that you spent this week bashing me, instead of America.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hmmm...I've never really seen the Wash Post as being right wing. It's very political but tends to lean a bit left on its op-ed pages. Anyway, go Team Liberal!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I wouldn't say left at all, I'd say it's right down the middle. Their version of 'left' is anything that doesn't give Bush a written blowjob.

Omg! Now the kid just bit the hand that tried to give him a job!

In his first public comments since resigning earlier today as a blogger for washingtonpost.com, Ben Domenech says his editors there were “fools” for not expecting an onslaught of attacks from the left.

“While I appreciated the opportunity to go and join the Washington Post,” Domenech said, “if they didn’t expect the leftists were going to come after me with their sharpened knives, then they were fools.”

Domenech has been under a steady stream of criticism since washingtonpost.com launched the new blog, “Red America,” on Tuesday. Domenech, an editor at Regnery Publishing (a sister company to HUMAN EVENTS), was accused of plagiarism by several left-wing blogs.

Although Domenech says there is an explanation for nearly all the examples cited by the left-wing bloggers, he felt he was left no choice by washingtonpost.com but to resign.

“I felt like if I didn’t resign, they would have pushed me out—if not today, then Monday,” he said.

Jim Brady, executive editor of washingtonpost.com, wrote a note on “Red America” this afternoon explaining Domenech’s resignation.

“In the past 24 hours, we learned of allegations that Ben Domenech plagiarized material that appeared under his byline in various publications prior to washingtonpost.com contracting with him to write a blog that launched Tuesday,” Brady wrote.

“An investigation into these allegations was ongoing,” Brady continued, “and in the interim, Domenech has resigned, effective immediately.”

Domenech posted a rebuttal to the plagiarism charges on RedState.com, a website he co-founded. Its contributors have been steadfast in their support for him.

The biggest bulk of work in question comes from Domenech’s college years at William & Mary. While working at the student newspaper his freshman year, Domenech said, he discovered his editor had been inserting the work of other publications into his movie reviews. He left the job after one semester and went to work for another publication when the editor received a promotion, he said.

“The idea that the attack machine has gotten to the level where they dig back to your freshman year of college, when you’re 17, and say, ‘Hey, this guy should have been thinking about the authority of what he was writing the same way that people do at the New York Times,’ then, I mean, it’s idiotic,” he said. “I certainly was sloppier than I should have been, but the sense that I ever felt this was significant or this was dangerous or that there was ever anything to come out of it is just ridiculous.”

Asked about the voluminous amount of documentation cited by left-wing bloggers and some conservatives’ decision to believe it, Domenech said: “In a lot of this stuff, it’s based on who you believe. And if you believe the lefties are right or if you believe someone who you know and who you’ve worked with is right, I guess the thing I would point out is that I’ve done my best to never do anything to raise any kind of question about this sort of thing. And if you look at the overwhelming bulk of everything I’ve written, you’ll find there is no question about it. The questions are about small things, a lot of them easily explainable, especially the things that come after college.”

Domenech said he was disappointed washingtonpost.com pulled the plug so quickly after the blog was launched.

“I guess the thing that bothers me the most about this is that the Post didn’t give this a chance to either blow over or work itself out,” he said. “And I feel that if they had done that, the blog would have been a great addition to their site
    Buddy, you PLAGIARIZED your shit and now you're blaming everyone else around you (including the paper that gave you a job) for you losing said job?

Holy crap, you need to grow up.

Thread Information