Thread: Scalia says judges not qualified to make moral judgements

Default Scalia says judges not qualified to make moral judgements

BOSTON --U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia railed against the era of the "judge-moralist," saying judges are no better qualified than "Joe Sixpack" to decide moral questions such as abortion and gay marriage. (but apparently elected officials with religious ideology are)

"Anyone who thinks the country's most prominent lawyers reflect the views of the people needs a reality check," he said during a speech to New England School of Law students and faculty at a Law Day banquet on Wednesday night. (but anybody who thinks a small group of theocrats in Washington do is perfectly sane?)

The 70-year-old justice said the public, through elected Legislatures -- not the courts -- should decide watershed questions such as the legality of abortion.

Scalia decried his own court's recent overturning of a state anti-sodomy law, joking that he personally believes "sexual orgies eliminate tension and ought to be encouraged," but said a panel of judges is not inherently qualified to determine the morality of such behavior.

He pointed to the granting of voting rights to women in 1920 through a constitutional amendment as the proper way for a democracy to fundamentally change its laws.

"Judicial hegemony" has replaced the public's right to decide important moral questions, he said. Instead, he said, politics has been injected in large doses to the process of nominating and confirming federal judges. ( but that's fine when it works in your favor)

Noting that the Senate confirmed his high court nomination by a 98-0 vote, Scalia said, "You could not get a judge with my views confirmed to the Court of Appeals today." (you were confirmed 2 years ago, when your Chimp was at the height of his power)

He said code words such as "mainstream" and "moderate" are now used to describe liberal judicial nominees.(no, it's just anything near the center means commie pinko fag to you)

"What is a moderate interpretation of (the Constitution)? Halfway between what it says and halfway between what you want it to say?" he said. (how about a SANE interpretation?)

Scalia, a well known as a strict "constructionist" in his interpretation of the Constitution, opened his remarks by saying, "I brought three speeches, and I decided to give the most provocative one, because this seems to be too happy a crowd."

Margaret Marshall, chief justice of the state Supreme Judicial Court, and author of the controversial decision that legalized gay marriage in Massachusetts, was scheduled to sit at the head table with Scalia, but was absent due to illness.(yeah, the thought of sitting at the same table with that fascist is enough to make anybody puke)[/b]
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Re: Scalia says judges not qualified to make moral judgements

Erm, so does this mean he's going to resign?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Of course not, this only applies to judges who aren't right-wing psychotics.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ahhhh....I stand corrected. It's the old 'my way or the highway ruse'. Clever.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Basically painting anybody who doesn't agree with his theocratic interpretation of the constitution as "out there" and "fringe".

Something liberals have been letting happen far too often, letting the psychos define them with words like that without raising a ruckus over it.

Yes, as I said earlier today, it's time for liberals to stop taking it lying down. Unite, people, and let's make sure these people are sent packing. No more of these nutjobs running our country.

--Sinclair Lewis

Crap, I'm thinking of Roberts.

Either way, wtf is Scalia talking about? That wingnut Alito just got confirmed.

Yes, let him be purged. He's too close to Cheney anyway, and he's a liar. He said he'd recuse himself over some case he had to preside over involving Cheney and that weekend he went out hunting with the guy.

Of course, nobody was shot.

Cuz he went on with the case anyway, and then denied he had ever said he'd recuse himself from it.

Besides, it's a bit of conflict if you're going hunting and being all chummy with the defendant!

These people do not understand the concept "conflict of interest" unless it fails to benefit/enrich them somehow, or a Democrat is doing it.

I believe it was something Halliburton related.. I can't recall if it stemmed from before the Iraq war or early on in it.

It might have had something to do with ol Cheney getting some kind of kickbacks, or possibly stock issues.. shouldn't be hard to find, i guess just pop 'scalia recuse cheney' or somesuch into google..

Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Cuz he went on with the case anyway, and then denied he had ever said he'd recuse himself from it.

Besides, it's a bit of conflict if you're going hunting and being all chummy with the defendant!

What case was it?
    I think it had to do with Cheney's refusal to reveal notes from the energy meetings, which were attended by all the top energy companies, natch. I'll look into it.

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information