Thread: Bush/Rumsfeld lie AGAIN: No evidence Iran is behind Iraqi roadside bombs

Default Bush/Rumsfeld lie AGAIN: No evidence Iran is behind Iraqi roadside bombs

By Will Dunham
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States does not have proof that Iran's government is responsible for the presence of Iranian weapons and military personnel in Iraq, the top U.S. military officer said on Tuesday.

President George W. Bush said on Monday components from Iran were being used in powerful roadside bombs used in Iraq, and Rumsfeld said last week that Iranian Revolutionary Guard personnel had been inside Iraq to stir up trouble.

Asked whether the United States has proof that Iran's government was behind these developments, Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a Pentagon briefing, "I do not, sir."

Rumsfeld said that there was evidence, which he did not specify, that Revolutionary Guard troops "have been and/or are in Iraq," and that it would be reasonable to suggest Iran's government was responsible.

"It's entirely possible there are rogue elements and they're just there on their own or they're pilgrims. Not likely," Rumsfeld added.

U.S. charges about Iranian weapons and personnel in Iraq have added to tensions between the United States and Iran over Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

DIFFICULT TO PROVE

Rumsfeld said it was difficult to prove Iranian government involvement.

"As to equipment, unless you physically see it coming in a government-sponsored vehicle or with government-sponsored troops, you can't know it," Rumsfeld said. "All you know is that you find equipment, weapons, explosives, whatever, in a country that came from the neighboring country."

"With respect to people, it's very difficult to tie a thread precisely to the government of Iran," Rumsfeld added.

He noted, for example, that Iranian Shi'ite Muslims make pilgrimages by the thousands to Shi'ite holy places in Iraq.

Bush said on Monday, referring to improvised explosive devices, "Some of the most powerful IEDs we're seeing in Iraq today includes components that came from Iran."

Ahead of the Shi'ite religious holiday Arba'een, Rumsfeld said that Army Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, "may decide he wants to bulk up slightly for the pilgrimage." Rumsfeld did not indicate that a decision had been made or how many U.S. troops may be added.

The United States has reduced the size of its force from about 160,000 in December.

Just days before the third anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Rumsfeld said that "it's clearly a very difficult situation." He argued that there were positive indicators, including Iraqi public support for democracy and U.S.-trained Iraqi government security forces taking on more responsibility for the security of their country.

Pace added: "The path to civil war is available to the Iraqi people. And the path toward freedom and representative government is available to them. And they are standing at the crossroads right now. And they're looking down both paths."

"And right now, it appears to me that, for sure, the Iraqi people want to go down the path toward prosperity and freedom," Pace added.

Asked how long Americans should expect U.S. troops to be fighting in Iraq, Rumsfeld said: "Now, the implication to your question is: do we think we're going to be there four or five years more in terms of large numbers of U.S. ground forces? And the answer is no, I don't think so."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Bush/Rumsfeld lie AGAIN: No evidence Iran is behind Iraqi roadside bombs

Bush should be censured for each lie, who people let him get away with it is beyond me.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information