Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: Sen. Rockefeller: FCC should shut down Fox News and MSNBC

  1. #1
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,697

    Default Sen. Rockefeller: FCC should shut down Fox News and MSNBC

    Senator Asks: Can’t Fox and MSNBC Just Go Away?

    There’s a part of Senator Jay Rockefeller, Democrat of West Virginia, that would like to see Fox News Channel and MSNBC vanish.

    At a Senate committee hearing about television retransmission consent on Wednesday, Mr. Rockefeller spoke broadly about the ways he believes television is ailing, and in doing so, he singled out the “endless barking” of cable news.

    He said: “There’s a little bug inside of me which wants to get the F.C.C. to say to Fox and to MSNBC, ‘Out. Off. End. Goodbye.’ It would be a big favor to political discourse; to our ability to do our work here in Congress; and to the American people, to be able to talk with each other and have some faith in their government and, more importantly, in their future.”

    There is little the Federal Communications Commission can say about Fox News or MSNBC since the channels are on cable, not delivered over the broadcast airwaves.


    The comments about Fox News and MSNBC were not in Mr. Rockefeller’s prepared remarks. In those remarks, he also said:
    When it comes to developing content, our entertainment machine is too often in a race to the bottom. Even worse, our news media has all but surrendered to the forces of entertainment. Instead of a watchdog that is a check on the excesses of government and business, we have the endless barking of a 24-hour news cycle. We have journalism that is always ravenous for the next rumor, but insufficiently hungry for the facts that can nourish our democracy. As citizens, we are paying a price.
    Beyond the news media, Mr. Rockefeller also questioned why consumers have to buy bundles of channels, rather than ordering the channels they want and nothing else.

    “The old adage of ‘500 channels and nothing on’ has never been so true as it is today,” he said.

    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-i7qIYGCQ[/youtube]








    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  2. #2
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    How about you reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.

    There's a fucking thought.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  3. #3
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Grimmlok, he does have a point. It creates divisions. However, shutting them down isn't the best answer.

  4. #4
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hanging with the raisin girls
    Posts
    15,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesandy View Post
    Grimmlok, he does have a point. It creates divisions. However, shutting them down isn't the best answer.
    It isn't an answer at all. Are you kidding?

    You can't just shut up whomever doesn't agree with you. And you certainly can't shut down an entire network or two because they have different politics even if those politics are ridiculous.

    WTF.

  5. #5
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Within the mainstream media, everyone knows that MSNBC has a liberal viewpoint on everything politically oriented while Fox has a conservative viewpoint on everything politically oriented.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    Yes, but MSNBC doesn't actually make shit up out of thin air.

    Facts have a notoriously liberal bias.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #7
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    183

    Default

    I'm aware of that, but the country doesn't seem to work that way. Hence, there's no bipartisanship. That's why democrats and republicans often "clash" about things.

  8. #8
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    .... I dunno how much more of this I can take
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  9. #9
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    34,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    How about you reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.

    There's a fucking thought.
    I've always loved this idea (the doctrine was repealed by an FCC commissioner under Reagan). And conservative pundits, radio hosts, and Fox people absolutely pee themselves in fear at the thought it could come back. While it doesn't mean that you would take Fox off the air (or a Limbaugh type of broadcaster, who would also get caught up in this), it would obligate the networks (and Limbaugh's radio stations) to provide dissenting commentary. That would be so freaking awesome.

    For Fox, and Limbaugh's stations, it would be a ruinous development because it would allow somebody to come on the air and throw cold water on the ridiculous beliefs of their intellectually somnambulant viewers and listeners.

    I don't think MSNBC would have a problem with it at all.

  10. #10
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesandy View Post
    I'm aware of that, but the country doesn't seem to work that way. Hence, there's no bipartisanship. That's why democrats and republicans often "clash" about things.
    You do know that the two parties have totally different viewpoints..ijs


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  11. #11
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    183

    Default

    The Democrats lost about 62 congressional house seats in the midterm elections this year. There are a plethora of reasons for it. Rockefeller believes that the "media spin" is at least one reason why we lost the vote this year and McConnell/Boehner and fellow Republicans gained a victory. We're lucky Harry Reid didn't lose his senate seat, because election day could have been even worse for Democrats.

  12. #12
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hanging with the raisin girls
    Posts
    15,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesandy View Post
    I'm aware of that, but the country doesn't seem to work that way. Hence, there's no bipartisanship. That's why democrats and republicans often "clash" about things.
    I have read this twelve times and I still have no earthly idea what it means.

  13. #13
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesandy View Post
    The Democrats lost about 62 congressional house seats in the midterm elections this year. There are a plethora of reasons for it. Rockefeller believes that the "media spin" is at least one reason why we lost the vote this year and McConnell/Boehner and fellow Republicans gained a victory. We're lucky Harry Reid didn't lose his senate seat, because election day could have been even worse for Democrats.
    You do know all of us can fucking read and comprehend, right?


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  14. #14
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've always loved this idea (the doctrine was repealed by an FCC commissioner under Reagan). And conservative pundits, radio hosts, and Fox people absolutely pee themselves in fear at the thought it could come back. While it doesn't mean that you would take Fox off the air (or a Limbaugh type of broadcaster, who would also get caught up in this), it would
    obligate the networks (and Limbaugh's radio stations) to provide dissenting commentary. That would be so freaking awesome.

    For Fox, and Limbaugh's stations, it would be a ruinous development because it would allow somebody to come on the air and throw cold water on the ridiculous beliefs of their intellectually somnambulant viewers and listeners.

    I don't think MSNBC would have a problem with it at all.
    Posted from my iPhone


    Fox does have liberal commentators sometimes. Didn't they just give Juan Williams a bigger role?(yeah he's a bit on the moderate side, but that still makes him a flaming liberal on the network).
    Posted from my iPhone

  15. #15
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default

    ^^You typed that with a straight face, didn't you?


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 112
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
  2. What it takes for Ann Coulter to shut up-jaw wired shut?
    By twitchy2.0 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
  4. News of the Weird on MSNBC
    By Moongirl in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM
  5. MSNBC edits their news to favor Bush cabal
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •