Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco jail installs condom dispensers

Default San Francisco jail installs condom dispensers

San Francisco jail installs condom dispensers

Looking for a little action?

You might want to try the San Francisco County Jail's San Bruno lockup, where authorities have installed 16 condom machines for the jail's 750 prisoners.

The condom dispensers are the latest evolution in a safe-sex program that began in 1989, when health workers began distributing condoms to inmates as part of their counseling before they were released.

And although sex among inmates technically is illegal, the Sheriff's Department went ahead and installed the 16 machines anyway - one for each jailhouse pod - paid for by a pair of small grants from UCSF and a Southern California nonprofit.

"It may be controversial," Sheriff Michael Hennessey said, "but I think the larger health education message is important."

As for the chance that all those machines will actually promote jailhouse sex?

The sex already takes place, says Kate Monico Klein, who is directing the program for the city's Public Health Department. "If (providing condoms) saves one or two lives, it's worth it," she said.

And the message is: If you're gonna rape your cell mate, use a condom?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^^
    i think there's a lot of consensual sex going on too but yeah, as dumb as it sounds, even if it is rape, might as well be safe... it's not like it's not going to happen if they take away the condoms.

this reminds me of one of my best friends in high school. no, he didn't go to prison. but his mother was the head nurse at the city's jail, and she was dutch, and she started doing this stuff under the table long before it was really being done. she would give the prisoners condoms, clean needles (she knew they were shooting up and sharing needles), etc.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    i think there's a lot of consensual sex going on too but yeah, as dumb as it sounds, even if it is rape, might as well be safe... it's not like it's not going to happen if they take away the condoms.
    Yeah, 'cause frankly if you're going to rape someone, you're probably not considerate enough to use a condom.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^^
    i agree it's mostly for the consensual sex but hey, you never know. either way, i think this is a great idea and something that every prison should have.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I doubt it would be use by prisoners who are raping other prisoners. The used condom would have both prisoners' DNA on it.

Shouldn't they be doing other things in prison oh like paying your debt to society? Sex isn't a basic need. Prison shouldn't be fun.

It's a health issue. Prisoners are going to fuck in jail. I don't think it's giving them undeserved privileges, it's cheaper to house HIV neg prisoners than poz ones.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^^^
    this.
    funny how common sense is lost on people blinded by their need to see prisoners punished above anything else. fuck common sense! fuck the health costs and dangers of having prisons rife with HIV and other diseases!
    it's like how the pro-abstinence crowd thinks that teaching teenagers about sex and giving them condoms is encouraging them to do it, cause if you only teach them abstinence they'll never fuck...

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    It's a health issue. Prisoners are going to fuck in jail. I don't think it's giving them undeserved privileges, it's cheaper to house HIV neg prisoners than poz ones.
    yup. it makes good sense to do this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I don't think putting condoms in there is going to have an effect on HIV rates, one way or the other. Is there any study that actually shows how this affects HIV rates, instances of rape, etc?

It's not about rape. Men fuck other men in prison all the time. They might not identify as being gay, but consensual sex between men happens a lot. If it prevents HIV and other STDs spreading, fucking fantastic.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^^^
    this.
    not all sex in prisons is rape. in fact, i'd say rape is the minority.
    watch louis theroux's documentary about san quentin. it's abundantly clear that there is a lot of prison lovin' going around. there are even prison couples who openly shack up (share a cell).

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't think putting condoms in there is going to have an effect on HIV rates, one way or the other. Is there any study that actually shows how this affects HIV rates, instances of rape, etc?
    It's easy to assume that all men in prison are fatalistic and would never use condoms etc. That's a myth. The rates for prevention and condom access is the same on the outside as the inside. In prison men see other men with advanced stages of HIV and see the realities of it.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    It's easy to assume that all men in prison are fatalistic and would never use condoms etc. That's a myth. The rates for prevention and condom access is the same on the outside as the inside. In prison men see other men with advanced stages of HIV and see the realities of it.
    I'm saying where's the evidence that it will actually do any good.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information