Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Growing Number Believe Obama Is Muslim

Default Poll: Growing Number Believe Obama Is Muslim

Poll: Growing Number Believe Obama Is Muslim

by The Associated Press

August 19, 2010
    Americans increasingly are convinced - incorrectly - that President Barack Obama is a Muslim, and a growing number are thoroughly confused about his religion.
    Nearly one in five people, or 18 percent, said they think Obama is Muslim, up from the 11 percent who said so in March 2009, according to a poll released Thursday. The proportion who correctly say he is a Christian is down to just 34 percent.
    The largest share of people, 43 percent, said they don't know his religion, an increase from the 34 percent who said that in early 2009.
    The survey, conducted by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center and its affiliated Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, is based on interviews conducted before the controversy over whether Muslims should be permitted to construct a mosque near the World Trade Center site. Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center there, though he's also said he won't take a position on whether they should actually build it.
    In a separate poll by Time magazine/ABT SRBI conducted Monday and Tuesday - after Obama's comments about the mosque - 24 percent said they think he is Muslim, 47 percent said they think he is Christian and 24 percent didn't know or didn't respond.
    In addition, 61 percent opposed building the Muslim center near the Trade Center site and 26 percent said they favor it.
    The Pew poll found that about three in 10 of Obama's fiercest political rivals, Republicans and conservatives, say he is a Muslim. That is up significantly from last year and far higher than the share of Democrats and liberals who say so. But even among his supporters, the number saying he is a Christian has fallen since 2009, with just 43 percent of blacks and 46 percent of Democrats saying he is Christian.
    Among independents, 18 percent say Obama is Muslim - up from 10 percent last year.
    Pew analysts attribute the findings to attacks by his opponents and Obama's limited attendance at religious services, particularly in contrast with Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, whose worship was more public.
    Andrew Kohut, the Pew Research Center's director, said the confusion partly reflects "the intensification of negative views about Obama among his critics." Alan Cooperman, the Pew Forum's associate director for research, said that with the public hearing little about Obama's religion, "maybe there's more possibility for other people to make suggestions that the president is this or he's really that or he's really a Muslim."
    Obama is the Christian son of a Kenyan Muslim father and a Kansas mother. From age 6 to 10, Obama lived in predominantly Muslim Indonesia with his mother and Indonesian stepfather. His full name, Barack Hussein Obama, sounds Muslim to many.
    White House officials did not provide on-the-record comments on the survey, but they prompted Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell of Houston to call The Associated Press.
    Caldwell, who said he has known Obama for years, said the president is a Christian who prays every day. He said he was not sure where the public confusion about the president's religion came from, but he called false media reports about it "a 24-hour noise box committed to presenting the president in a false light."
    Six in 10 of those saying Obama is a Muslim said they got the information from the media, with the largest portion - 16 percent - saying it was on television. Eleven percent said they learned it from Obama's behavior and words.
    Despite the confusion about Obama's religion, there is noteworthy support for how he uses it to make decisions. Nearly half, or 48 percent, said he relies on his religion the right amount when making policy choices, 21 percent said he uses it too little and 11 percent too much.
    At the same time, the poll provides broad indications that the public feels religion is playing a diminished role in politics today, with fewer people than in 2008 saying the Democratic and Republican parties are friendly toward religion.
    With elections for control of Congress just over two months away, the poll contains optimistic news for Republicans. Half of white non-Hispanic Catholics, plus three in 10 unaffiliated with a religion and a third of Jews support the GOP - all an increase since 2008.
    The survey also found:
    -The Democratic Party is seen as friendly to religion by 26 percent, while 43 percent say the same about the GOP. That's a 9 percentage point drop for Republicans since 2008, and 12 points lower for Democrats.
    -Fifty-two percent say churches should stay away from politics, a reversal of the slim majorities that supported churches' political involvement from 1996 to 2006.
    The poll, overseen by Princeton Survey Research Associates International, involved landline and cell phone interviews with 3,003 randomly chosen adults. It was conducted July 21-Aug. 5 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

Poll: Growing Number Believe Obama Is Muslim : NPR
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm watching this right now on anderson cooper. Are they devoting a whole hour to this. I think its fueling the fire. They are showing clips of his slip ups when he said his muslim faith then said, I mean my christian faith.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

O vey! Jesus wept... (or was that Mohamed?)
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

He's also not an Amurican. He's a Muslin for sure. A foreign muslin no-good bad-dancing elitist smug terrorist who is trying to destroy the planet!

Oh and I forgot the most important one (duh) Obama is the

I don't give a good damn what his religion is. I just want him to fucking do something.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Put me in the category: Who gives a fuck?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I don't give a good damn what his religion is. I just want him to fucking do something.
    I'm a little confused by this statement. Absolutely granted that much of what's been done doesn't have the teeth that I would like but in the 1 1/2 years he's been in office: health reform, finance reform, bailed out and profited from auto resturcturing, got DADT withdrawn (currently sitting idle with military), appointed 2 young liberal justices to the Supreme Court, brought combat to an end in Iraq by the date promised during campaign, refocused military attention on Afghanistan (campaign promise)...

Hell, I'll just let Rachel Maddow tell you, she said it damn well.

YouTube - What has Obama done so far? (I'm embedding challenged)
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I'm a little confused by this statement. Absolutely granted that much of what's been done doesn't have the teeth that I would like but in the 1 1/2 years he's been in office: health reform, finance reform, bailed out and profited from auto resturcturing, got DADT withdrawn (currently sitting idle with military), appointed 2 young liberal justices to the Supreme Court, brought combat to an end in Iraq by the date promised during campaign, refocused military attention on Afghanistan (campaign promise)...

Hell, I'll just let Rachel Maddow tell you, she said it damn well.

YouTube - What has Obama done so far? (I'm embedding challenged)
    Oh.. let me tear this apart.

1) Health Reform: derailed by immediate backroom deals between the Oval Office and insurance/pharma. Single payer killed immediately. Public option fought against every step of the way (despite Obama saying he supported it, actions prove otherwise), handed off to 3 blue dogs and 3 conservatives in the pocket of those very industries, and finally killed off with Lieberman and Snowe. Rahm trotted out to deride anybody who wanted a public option (some 70% of the public) as a "fringe left of the left pajama wearing retards". Result: 30 million new people fed into the maw of the insurance industry, no cost controls, no importation of cheaper drugs, no cross-state competition and if you refuse you get FINED.

2) Financial reform: headed by Geithner and Summers (2 of the very architects from Goldman Sachs who engineered the meltdown) is completely toothless and does NOTHING to rein in the "too big to fail" corporations. In fact, "too big to fail" continues to be the operating system for said corporations and none of them were broken up into smaller pieces. In short, Financial Reform has resulted in pretty much NO REFORM. The same rotting system is still in place and congress is controlled by Wall Street.

3) Auto Bailout: Not that big a deal, it was only a few billion.. a drop in the bucket compared to the 2 wars of convenience currently being waged. Frankly, it was just a wakeup call for auto manufacturers to start producing something other than shit. Once they did that, they were fine.

4) DADT IS NOT WITHDRAWN. No such thing happened. DADT is still in place and is still causing people to be witch hunted and fired. Obama so far has not issued a stop loss order to even TEMPORARILY halt discharges. Obama has also punted anything regarding DADT to the Pentagon and has actually ceded ALL DECISION MAKING POWER regarding it to the bigots in the Pentagon who do NOT want DADT repealed. That's why the Pentagon put out that ridiculous and bigoted "survey" of armed forces and (for some insane reason) their families, asking them how icky they think the gays make them feel. It was rigged from the beginning, and all the Pentagon has to do is say "unit cohesion" and DADT will forever be on the books. Obama has removed himself AND congress from the final say. Also not on the list of gay rights Obama touching: ENDA and DOMA. Those have disappeared COMPLETELY.

5) Liberal judges: Sotomayer is not a liberal, she's a centrist. Big fat whoop she's a latino, she's also catholic. Kagan is a total blank slate, much like Obama. Nobody knows what she is. She has almost no decisions under her belt to judge her by. The Supreme court still skews right.

6) Iraq: troops are being withdrawn, but Blackwater mercenaries (still paid for by the US gov through no bid contract to said mercenary, sorry, security corporations) are ramping up. Trading one for the other. A technicality.

7) Afghanistan: is failing and will continue to fail badly. It's Vietnam all over again, Petraeus has already stated there is no timetable for withdrawal despite earlier rosy predictions. There has not been any progress in years, and in fact things are getting worse. Proxy wars in Yemen and Pakistan continue to build, and now saber rattling against Iran from this administrarion.

So in all fairness to Rachel, who is sometimes quite good, she has fucking blinders on considering Obama. She operates in a very "Dems good, Republicans bad" mode which is outmoded and narrow.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well that didn't take long. As I said, nothing is as strong as I would have preferred, but to say that the Obama administration has done nothing is a fallacy.

I've heard tell of your majestic internet wang Grim, so I'm not going to get into a pissing contest.

Rachel Maddow is undeniably liberal, but she calls out both sides frequently. Olbermann is limited by a myopic good/bad view, Maddow, I don't think as much.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Nothing as strong? Try nothing at all, as listed.

Simply calling something "reform" when it actually isn't is not a promise kept.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Sotomayor and Kagan are both left-leaning justices. Sotomayor has already voted with Breyer and Ginsburg 90% of the time in her tenure so far on the Supreme Court.

and of course the Court is still going to be right-leaning when the only justices retiring are the liberal ones. Can't wait for Scalia to go....
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    and of course the Court is still going to be right-leaning when the only justices retiring are the liberal ones. Can't wait for Scalia to go....
    Unfortunately, it will probably be Ginsburg next.

Reagan and Bush both seemed to appoint REALLY young justices. Clarence Thomas was 43 when appointed. Scalia was 50. Souter was 51 (but a spectacular backfire). The idea, however, was that they would be around a really long time.

Ginsburg, by contrast, was 60, when appointed by Clinton. Now, Ginsburg is 77 and in pretty poor health (colon cancer and pancreatic cancer). She will probably be the next to go, despite being appointed after Scalia and Thomas.

Elite Member

It takes longer than 1.5 years to clean up an eight year disaster, criminal acitivity, and basic stupidity. That would be Bush.

Don't ya love armchair U.S. Presidents?

I don't give a crap what his religion is. All are subjective bullcrap.

i need protection (like a big umbrella) from all of the Obama fans that are jumping off the bandwagon (not here but the USA in general)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information