Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Recession May Get Worse?

Default The Recession May Get Worse?

Slowing economic rebound raises unemployment fears
    AP – In this photograph taken July 22, 2010, employees sort garlic cloves at the Christopher Ranch, in Gilroy, …

By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer Jeannine Aversa, Ap Economics Writer – 32 mins ago
    WASHINGTON – The recovery is losing so much momentum that employers are unlikely to step up hiring anytime this year, and unemployment could return to double digits.
    That was the bleak conclusion of analysts Friday after the government said economic growth crawled at a 2.4 percent pace in the spring. It was the economy's weakest showing in nearly a year. And many economists think growth is even slower now.
    Consumers spent less, companies slowed their restocking of shelves and the nation's trade deficit[COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important][/color][/color][/color][/color] exerted a stronger drag on the economy in the April-to-June quarter.
    The Commerce Department report also showed the recession was deeper than previously estimated, according to revisions of the data. Its depth helps explain why the economy is now struggling so much, with shoppers reluctant to spend and employers slow to hire.
    "We're headed into the third quarter with little momentum, and most everything is tracking weaker," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics. "Because of that, I expect unemployment to rise back to double digits, hitting 10 percent in December and staying there early next year."
    Businesses stepped up their spending last quarter, propelled in part by government stimulus[COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important][/color][/color][/color]. But those gains aren't likely to be repeated, economists said.
    The one exception is in equipment and software. Companies invested in those areas last quarter at the fastest pace in 13 years. And they are expected to keep up that spending. But that won't be enough to invigorate the rebound.
    In fact, their investments in technology could actually crimp hiring. Companies are investing in productivity-enhancing equipment that reduces the need to expand their work forces. Instead, they can produce more from their existing employees.
    Congress may feel pressure to pass more stimulus measures to speed the recovery. So far, Republicans and some Democrats have blocked additional spending because of their concerns about the size of the deficit.
    The Federal Reserve is exploring new steps to bolster the recovery in case the economy flashes dangers signs of sliding back into recession.
    Investors reacted to the report with disappointment. Stock futures fell in the hour before the markets opened. But losses moderated after the University of Michigan/Reuters consumer sentiment index for July rose slightly more than expected.
    The report also showed that the economy grew at a 3.7 percent pace in the first three months of this year. That was much better than the 2.7 percent pace estimated just a month ago.
    Still, the recovery has been losing air for two straight quarters. Concerns have arisen about whether it will fizzle out — or even tip back into a "double-dip" recession.
    The economy began to grow in the third quarter of last year after having suffered the worst recession since the Great Depression[COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important][/color][/color]. And in the final quarter of 2009, the economy surged at a 5 percent pace. That was the high-water mark of the rebound so far.
    Much of the expansion was powered by the government's $862 billion stimulus package of tax cuts and spending. Also, companies helped energize growth with a burst of spending to replenish inventories that had been cut down during the recession.
    Now, those forces are fading. As they do, doubts are growing about whether the private sector can boost spending and investment enough to fuel the recovery.
    Consumer spending, usually the lifeblood of the economy, slowed in the second quarter. Such spending rose at an anemic 1.6 percent pace. That was down from a 1.9 percent pace in the first quarter. It also was the weakest showing since the end of last year.
    Instead, Americans saved more. They saved 6.2 percent of their disposable income in the second quarter, the highest share in a year.
    "The U.S. recovery remains patchy and heavily reliant on government support and inventory rebuilding," said Sal Guatieri, economist at BMO Capital Markets Economics. "Optimism would improve if companies shifted spending towards hiring, from machines."
    For the first time in two years, builders boosted spending on commercial projects last quarter. And home builders spent the most in 27 years. Many expect that to fade now that federal homebuying tax credits have expired. Economists think spending in both those sectors turned negative in the current quarter.
    Stripping out business investments in inventories and sales of exports, so-called "final sales to domestic purchasers" rose at a 4.1 percent pace in the second quarter, the most in four years. That looks good on the surface. But that spending was juiced by the government's homebuyer tax credit and other government aid, economists said.
    They predict this figure_ a barometer of domestic demand — will shrink in the coming quarters, reflecting tightfisted consumers, spending cuts on building projects and less robust federal spending.
    The federal government boosted spending at a 9.2 percent pace, the most in a year. Economists predict that growth will slow. State and local governments, coping with budget shortfalls, surprisingly increased their spending for the first time in a year. Economists think more spending cuts are coming at the state and local level.
    In the revisions issued Friday, the government estimated the economy shrank 2.6 percent last year — the steepest drop since 1946. That's worse than the 2.4 percent decline originally estimated.
    It takes about 3 percent growth in gross domestic product just to create enough jobs to keep pace with the population increase. Growth would have to equal 5 percent for a full year to drive the unemployment rate down by 1 percentage point.
    Gross domestic product measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States. It is the best gauge of the nation's economic health.
    The government takes three cracks at estimating growth for a given quarter. The estimate Friday was the government's first one for the April-to-June quarter. Missing from this initial estimate are the final results on trade and inventory investment activity, so the government makes estimates based on preliminary materials.

Source: Slowing economic rebound raises unemployment fears - Yahoo! News
    Wow. Just when I thought it might get better.

Elite Member

One cannot spend what they do not have.

This is no shock. Where I live there are no jobs. We now have to figure out where we are going to go, we have to leave, let our home foreclose and hope for the best. This has completely ruined our lives. We have worked so hard for a decent life. It's all gone. Years of work and financial responsiblity with zero reward.

Wealth doesn't trickle down.

Rich people hoard money.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh,sigh. I guess we will all move to Canada.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No, we're good. Stay down there
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Knock,knock!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

We're all fucked. Our only hope is to learn to live off the land.
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Little Goon View Post
    We're all fucked. Our only hope is to learn to live off the land.
    We'll hunt buffalo. I will be Dances for Handbags. Mel will be She Who Wears Tiaras. Chalet can be Woman Who Wears Black. Grimm can be He Who Speaketh With Sharp Tongue. Soj can be Man Who Playeth With Dirt. Butt can be She Likes Big Butts and She Cannot Lie.
    Alysheba can be She Who Found Riches in Texas. We will be fabulous!!

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

Ok, well my survival skills are lacking, soft American that I am. I don't think I'd make it as a buffalo hunter, so my future plans are to eat roadkill.

So, I will be, 'Road kill eater,' once the shit really starts to hit the fan in this country.
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

What you guys are forgetting us that this is going to impact the world over, Europe is just struggling back to it's feet & is going to be hit again. What about Asia & Africa....
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    What you guys are forgetting us that this is going to impact the world over, Europe is just struggling back to it's feet & is going to be hit again. What about Asia & Africa....
    Novice-you could be She Who Speaks With Cows in Grden. Goes nicely with Road Kill Eater.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Do you guys have any jobs up there?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Novice-you could be She Who Speaks With Cows in Grden. Goes nicely with Road Kill Eater.
    It'll be "she who kills bullocks for dinner" kaythaxvmuch!

However, I'm willing to hire out some of our "garden" foe you to grow food... for a tax, or tribute....
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    We'll hunt buffalo. I will be Dances for Handbags. Mel will be She Who Wears Tiaras. Chalet can be Woman Who Wears Black. Grimm can be He Who Speaketh With Sharp Tongue. Soj can be Man Who Playeth With Dirt. Butt can be She Likes Big Butts and She Cannot Lie.
    Alysheba can be She Who Found Riches in Texas. We will be fabulous!!
    Odd, my hubby just told me the other day we may end up in Texas. Did I post that somewhere? Twilight Zone.

I will make a promise to all of you who have suffered during this recession. If I do end up Alysheba, She Who Found Riches in Texas, I will make dang sure you get your fair share, and bring you all out of muck of financial ruin. Deal?

The recession is about as worse as it can get. And believe me, I think were just in time for a 'double dip'.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information