Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White House Apologizes to Shirley Sherrod

Default White House Apologizes to Shirley Sherrod

The Obama administration formally apologized on Wednesday to Shirley Sherrod, the USDA official abruptly fired earlier this week for comments taken out of context by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart.

"On behalf of our administration, I offer an apology," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said during Wednesday's daily briefing, acknowledging that the administration had not seen a full tape of Sherrod's comments prior to Tuesday evening. "Look, a disservice was done, an apology is owed. That's what we've done."

Gibbs relayed that Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack had been trying to speak to Sherrod on the phone. And later in the day, the Secretary held a press conference of his own during which he relayed that he had, indeed, talked to Sherrod, offered to hire her back, and apologized profusely for the episode.

"I did not think before I acted and for that this poor woman has gone through a very hard time," he said. "There will be changes, one thing there needs to be a more deliberative process, obviously, and I need to do a better job reaching out to get input before a decision of this magnitude is made."

"This is a good woman," he added. "She's been put through hell. She was put through hell and I could have done and should have done a better job."

Vilsack would go on to take complete responsibility for the firing saying that the buck stopped with him and not the president on this decision. But Gibbs cast a wider net, blaming the episode, in part, on the "frenzied culture" that exists in modern politics. "[W]e have a society and culture that's pervasive in this town where everything is viewed through the lens of who wins, who loses, how fast, by what margin," he said.

The Press Secretary also called the episode a "teachable moment," but declined to address who exactly was being taught or who was doing the teaching.

Certainly, the firing has provided a lesson in how quickly racial politics can captivate much of the conversation even during what has been described as a post-racial presidency. Earlier in the day, the president signed into law sweeping financial reform legislation, a major accomplishment that was given only mild attention during the daily briefing.

As the administration waxed apologetically for the firing, so too did Breitbart, who said he felt "bad that they made this about her."

Sherrod, not surprisingly, was not so quick to forget her treatment. She called Fox News' coverage of her out-of-context remarks (in which she appeared to talking about her past hesitancy in dealing with white farmers but was merely explaining how she overcame her race-based dispositions) unprofessional and even racist itself.

"They intended exactly what they did. They were looking for the result they got yesterday," she said, of the cable news station in an interview with Media Matters. "I am just a pawn. I was just here. They are after a bigger thing, they would love to take us back to where we were many years ago. Back to where black people were looking down, not looking white folks in the face, not being able to compete for a job out there and not be a whole person."

Sherrod, who was watching the Gibbs briefing on television, did not immediately say whether she would take her job back. Though it's fair to say that the White House would desperately welcome a peaceful ending to the saga. Gibbs stressed repeatedly that the administration had acted in haste. Sherrod said that a USDA official called her three times on Monday night demanding her resignation.

Meanwhile, Politico's Ben Smith reported that top-ranking White House aides were initially pleased with how quickly they responded to the apparent crisis -- an account seconded to the Huffington Post by a Democratic source.

Gibbs insisted that the White House was not directly involved in the firing, an assertion that Vilsack confirmed. He vehemently denied that the administration had been too eager to quiet its conservative media critics. Indeed, he declined to criticize Breitbart by name. He did, however, offer subtle lectures to the reporters in attendance for (like the administration itself) not waiting to see the full context of Sherrod's remarks.

"Members of this administration, members of the media, members of different political factions on both sides of this have all made determinations and judgments without a full set of facts," he said. "Without a doubt, Ms. Sherrod is owed an apology."

Political opponents of Breitbart, meanwhile, are using the incident to drive home their argument that his hybrid form of activist-reporting work should no longer be trusted. The progressive watchdog group Media Matters for America released a video on Wednesday titled, "The End of Andrew Breitbart's Credibility."

White House Apologizes To Shirley Sherrod

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This is a very stupid situation that should have never happened. Not only did the powers that be jump the gun without looking into the situation but there was an assumption that this hardworking, intelligent woman was stupid.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Ridiculous!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This administration is TERRIFIED of the right wing noise machine. What a bunch of eunuchs.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It was very stupid. I thought she was brave for saying the things she said. Powerful statements that had the potential for making people think. And it seems as if she was the person being hardest on herself, because obviously the white farmer's wife thought she was amazing for all the help she gave.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    It was very stupid. I thought she was brave for saying the things she said. Powerful statements that had the potential for making people think. And it seems as if she was the person being hardest on herself, because obviously the white farmer's wife thought she was amazing for all the help she gave.
    And the farmer and his wife are friends with this woman today....I caught a quick glimpse of the the guy who supposedly posted the vid (don't know his name) on GMA, and his attitude was such that my first reaction was that I wanted to shove something sharp in his face...
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    And the farmer and his wife are friends with this woman today....I caught a quick glimpse of the the guy who supposedly posted the vid (don't know his name) on GMA, and his attitude was such that my first reaction was that I wanted to shove something sharp in his face...
    Was it Andrew Breitbart?

The white farmer totally defended this woman -- the quote I saw made it seem like he was flabbergasted that this whole thing had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Was it Andrew Breitbart?

The white farmer totally defended this woman -- the quote I saw made it seem like he was flabbergasted that this whole thing had happened.
    Grayish, close-cropped hair? Maybe. From the snippet I did hear, he seemed quite unapologetic...

Breitbart is a right wing nutjob that does cut and paste jobs on videos trying to smear people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Supposedly, Breitbart is the guy who kicked off this firestorm. And he was very unapologetic about the results, basically saying that it's tit-for-tat for calling the Tea Party racists. Which ought to clue you into his malignant, disordered thinking.

By the way, as far as I can tell, Matt Drudge, the guy who runs the DrudgeReport web site, gets half of his articles from Breitbart,

Since when does anybody take the word of anyone at Fox News? Especially anyone at the White House? Come on guys, wake the fuck up already.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Ms. Sherrod is practically a saint. This is not a public servent who sees color, she sees need and necessity.

Tea Party = racism, sexism, homophobes, elitism. Can I say go DIAF?

Elite Member

Rachel Maddow did an excellent segment on this, tying it to Fox News' other "stories" that are intended to stir up white racists (Southern Strategy).

Since when does anybody take the word of anyone at Fox News? Especially anyone at the White House? Come on guys, wake the fuck up already.
    And Amen to this. When is the White House going to learn that Fox news and the republican party is only out to completely delegitimize the Obama administration, and they will lie repeatedly to do it. Just like the "God damn America" video was taken out of context, and the Ayers "association" was blown way out of proportion.

If they haven't learned the lesson by now, they won't ever. The Obama administration is pathologically determined to compromise everything away to them in return for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Ms. Sherrod is practically a saint. This is not a public servent who sees color, she sees need and necessity.

Tea Party = racism, sexism, homophobes, elitism. Can I say go DIAF?
    People forgave George Wallace, Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd. And what they did was morally reprehensible (and today, illegal). Forgiveness should not even be an issue here. They should leave Ms. Sherrod alone!

Where is Obama's voice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information