Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constitutional US Birthright Citizenship being challenged

Default Constitutional US Birthright Citizenship being challenged

Anyone born on American soil is an American.

That’s an unconditional right, according to the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution.

It’s not an exclusively American practice. Worldwide, about 30 nations (mostly in the Western Hemisphere) have similar birthright citizenship policy. Citizenship based on where a person is born, is called jus soli which is Latin for “right of the soil."

But jus soli is primarily a New World right. Today, there are no European nations that grant jus soli. Most countries in Europe use a jus sanguinis policy, which determines citizenship based on having an ancestor who is a citizen.

A bill making its way through Congress, if passed, would bring the US more into line with current European birthright policies.

Will US revoke the right of American citizenship to foreigners born here? - CSMonitor.com

~Amending the US Constitution and its original intent is serious business. Striking down an added Constitutional amendment is rare; once in place amendments tend to stay, appropriate or not.

The Constitution was short and sweet, intended to provide a broad framework for the government of a country and its basic underlying principles. Later adding this detail and that nuance as changing political winds blow through the country, is not the purpose of the Constitution.

I believe various contemporary pressures for Constitutional alterations should be strongly resisted.

What do you think?

I'm honestly not totally opposed to this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

You shouldn't mess around with the Constitution to take away rights from people.

Let the 14th amendment stand as it is.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

But all I've got going for me when it comes to being an American is that I was born here. If they change the rules and make everyone pass a citizenship test in order to qualify as American people, what if I fail?!?!

Could they deport me? But to where? I'd be a person without a country.
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

A*O

This is more about "anchor babies" which IS a problem IMO.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^^^
    Absolutely correct A*O, it's all about anchor babies.

But is this something so dire we should alter the Constitution of our country? To what consequence in the future? Perhaps the day may come (in the not so distant future) when the input/influx of immigrants and their children will be welcome and needed.

I say Constitutional amendments are bad business. Leave the Constitution be as it is.

Short term problems should not be solved by tinkering with the basic contracts of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Goon View Post
    But all I've got going for me when it comes to being an American is that I was born here. If they change the rules and make everyone pass a citizenship test in order to qualify as American people, what if I fail?!?!

Could they deport me? But to where? I'd be a person without a country.

You didn't have to take Civics class in school? You have to study US History and workings but if you fail the test you don't get deported! We had to pass to graduate from High School. They don't do this anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    ^^^
    Absolutely correct A*O, it's all about anchor babies.

But is this something so dire we should alter the Constitution of our country? To what consequence in the future? Perhaps the day may come (in the not so distant future) when the input/influx of immigrants and their children will be welcome and needed.

I say Constitutional amendments are bad business. Leave the Constitution be as it is.

Short term problems should not be solved by tinkering with the basic contracts of our country.
    There is nothing, per se, wrong with constitutional amendments. One of them (19th Amendment in 1920) gave women the right to vote after all.

Immigrants are welcome in this country. Every year, H1B and various other visas are issued to immigrants. I have two BIL's and two SIL's who are here because of those.

If my wife and I were vacationing in England, and she was pregnant and happened to unexpectedly deliver there, I don't see why my child should be considered a British citizen, since both of my child's parents would be American, and we were only in the country temporarily.

Elite Member

Ok, I'm safe. My heritage goes back 5 generations.

We have dear friends from Iran. The parents have lived here over 15 years and were granted citizenship. Both of their children were born in the US. They are Americans in my book, and if you tell them any different they give you the evil eye. They are very adament to say, they were born in Iran, but are Americans. They are quicker to place their hand over their heart during the National Anthem than most whose families go back generations.

A*O

Migrants with Permanent Residency can live in Australia indefinitely without becoming citizens and many do, usually Brits. They can apply to become citizens with attendant rights and privileges, mainly the right to vote and get an Aussie passport, after 3 years but it's not mandatory. I think it should be. When I hear a whinging Pom (not a myth, they exist) bitching about this country I always ask if they became a citizen when they moved here 30 years ago and the answer is always "no".
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    You shouldn't mess around with the Constitution to take away rights from people.

Let the 14th amendment stand as it is.
    I agree. There is no need to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This is more about "anchor babies" which IS a problem IMO.
    I do not think this is so much of a problem that it should require an amendment to the Constitution. This has been a part of America since the beginning, why change it now? It is just a thinly veiled attempt to be racist, basically IMO.

We are a nation of immigrants. It is our history-and the diversity we possess derives from it, and helps to make us a better nation.

It is the same old thing..when the Irish came, there were cries of Europe 'vomiting it's refuse on our shores'..then it was the Eastern Europeans and the Jews..same thing..

On the West coast a in the late 1800's it was the Chinese..deport them they are taking over and taking away the 'lesser' occupations of some women and boys..

It is always the same damn thing..racism.

I used to be concerned about assimiliation...as in this area(and particularly where I used to live) there is a growing hispanic community. It has grown to be about 50,000 at least. But once children are born here..and live here..they are Americans. No matter what language they speak at home (early immigrants often only spoke, say, German or Yiddish, Greek or Italian..first generation. But the new generation, raised here..are Americans..they are NOT going to want to go to Mexico even if their cultural heritage is there...they identify as Americans.

This whole 'changing the constitution is simply about racism-as this whole immigration thing has always been.

Would it matter if it were Western Europeans sneaking in to have babies and then try to get citizenship/live here because of the anchor babies? Of course not.

This is just racism, pure and simple-as it has always been with this issue.

JMHO.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I think the term "anchor babies" is hateful and disgusting. It is never said or meant in a nice way, its very origin is xenophobic and hateful. There is no positive way to spin that phrase and to add to its offensiveness we're slapping a label on an entire group of people that had no willful part in their existence as an "anchor baby."
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

A*O

But you have to acknowledge that some illegal immigrants, irrespective of their race, ensure their children are born in the US in order to give the rest of the family the right to stay. I don't think it needs a constitutional amendment either but I don't think it's fair that the system as it stands can be so easily and cynically manipulated.

Pretending there is no such thing as "anchor babies" (or whatever else you want to call it), is like pretending people don't get married for green cards. It happens.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I don't care, the kids had nothing to do with it. I'll also extend that train of thought to kids that get brought here illegally at an early age and come to know the US as their home and culture, call them anchor minors.
    Posted from my iPhone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information