Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Medical Leave Act Extended to Include Gay Couples

Elite Member

Default Family Medical Leave Act Extended to Include Gay Couples

The US Department of Labor updated regulations of the Family and Medical Leave Act yesterday so that lesbian and gay employees are now able to take unpaid family and medical leave to care for newborn or sick children. The updated regulations clarify the definition of son or daughter, stating that "an employee who assumes the role of caring for a child receives parental rights to family leave regardless of the legal or biological relationship," according to a Department of Labor press release.

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) allows employees who work for a company of 50 or more people to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to care for a newborn, spouse, or sick child, according to the New York Times. Previously, FMLA privileges only extended to heterosexual couples.
    Feminist Wire Daily Newsbriefs: U.S. and Global News Coverage
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

It's a start at least.

Much needed and I am glad to see this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

As usual with Obama, it's a crock.

The new policy will not cover partners or same-sex spouses. Only newborns and children, including the children of partners. So while this policy will be important to the few people that it covers, it will cover only a few people. The benefits won't go to any couples that are legally married, or if the kids are legally or biologically theirs. People are actually going to be penalized for having legally recognized marriages and families, since it conflicts with DOMA.

The New York Times story explains that the STATUTE ALREADY SAYS leave extends to people who are serving "in loco parentis" vis-a-vis a child. What, was there some sort of unwritten gay exception to the in loco parentis doctrine?

Also this is just another worthless crumb, not a law, and can be overturned when President Inept turns over the White House keys to a Repug in '12.

It's so fucking stupid. All these tiny, worthless scraps would be INCLUDED in all the rights granted if President Fierce and the Losercrats would stop dancing around DOMA, DADT, and ENDA. This shit is NOT enough, it's NOT 1993, and scraps are NOT going to satisfy anybody.

They've got till november to kill those 3 big items (which will never happen) and then they won't have enough votes to do anything.. not that they're doing anything now, but they will be literally UNABLE compared to now, where they're just UNWILLING.

God it makes me so MAD.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

^^
    It's a start, and it's not such a small start. Sounds like you'd rather curse Obama than work toward progress.

It's a fucking crumb, and i'm calling it what it is. How do you "work toward progress".. so it's not even progress now, but we're working UP to progress? Sounds like you'd rather defend your BFF than face reality, but why not: not like you have anything on the line, is it. You have all your rights.

Honey, the time is past for a "start". It's been "start"ing for decades now. Gays aren't satisfied with just a "start" anymore. Nor are they satisfied with words, crumbs, or anything else other than ACTUAL action/movement/accomplishment on equality.

Some snippets from a strongly worded article from Richard Socarides on the Wall Street Journal, of all places, on Obama's lacklustre gay rights record:

President Obama celebrated Gay Pride Month earlier this week by telling guests at a White House reception that he still favors full equality for gays and lesbians. But despite a steady trickle of small steps Mr. Obama has taken to promote gay rights, on the big issues he is a disappointment.

First and most obviously, Mr. Obama has not made good on his campaign promise to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell, allowing the military to continue stalling. Despite his earlier assertion that leadership was the only thing required to abolish this long-discredited policy, the administration's efforts have been lackluster.

Earlier this year, the president's staff indicated privately that they would prefer to wait until after the midterm elections to move forward. Only after it became clear that Congress was going to act without him—and after he was heckled twice at fund raisers by the activist group GetEQUAL—did Mr. Obama step in, and then with a Pentagon-inspired "compromise."

Attorney General Eric Holder and the Department of Justice not only have chosen to aggressively defend the constitutionality of that law, which bars recognition of same-sex marriages, but Justice Department lawyers actually cite it affirmatively to deny federal employee benefits like health insurance to same-sex couples. Where is the Civil Rights Division, which Mr. Holder has called the "crown jewel" of his department?

The absence of a position from the Justice Department in favor of expanding civil rights is as shocking as the absence of a coherent White House policy on gay issues. There is no senior policy person at the White House whose primary responsibility is gay rights. And there is no gay person in Mr. Obama's inner circle of advisers. That matters when trying to get attention for issues in an already overcrowded agenda, and the result is obvious.

In a telling development, the most significant and aggressive legal effort to promote gay equality today is being led by a conservative, former U.S. Solicitor General Ted Olson. In federal court in San Francisco, together with co-counsel David Boies, he is prosecuting the most comprehensive and sophisticated legal attack on antigay marriage laws in history.

As that case unfolded—the decision will come later this summer—we learned last month that former First Lady Laura Bush supports gay marriage. Add her to the growing list that includes Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Dick Cheney, and Cindy and Meghan McCain.

When Mr. Olson's case reaches the U.S. Supreme Court in a year or more from now, will Mr. Obama be one of the few left on the wrong side of history? What a bitter irony that would be.

Richard Socarides: Obama is Missing in Action on Gay Rights - WSJ.com
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Amen! I'm sick of this notion that we should be happy with what we get. You know what? I'll be happy when I'm treated like every other fucking citizen of this country. I'll be happy when I'm treated as a human being and not as some filthy creature who should either be hated or pitied. Hell yes is a crumb, and it's tiny and not enough and we are HUNGRY for equality. You bet your ass we're going to fight until we're full.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

I guess I was lucky then that ten years ago my company(Nationwide Insurance) went along with the FMLA as if it did apply to Gay couples.

Something is wrong when big corporations are ten years ahead of the Federal Government.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

It's a crumb to placate people.

Elite Member

At least it's movement in the right direction. The GOP would move to outlaw the same sex marriages already passed by Massachusetts and other states.

"at least you can ride the bus, even though you have to sit in the back of it."

"at least you can get some water, even if it's from a separate fountain"

"at least you can eat in a restaurant, even though it's segragated."

Don't make me fucking puke.

Elite Member

You keep pushing for the next step forward, but you don't spit in the eyes of those that are helping you.

Helping by doling out crumbs, instead of a full meal, which can all be undone by an executive order of the next president because they aren't acts of congress?

That isn't helping. That's placating. Realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Helping by doling out crumbs, instead of a full meal, which can all be undone by an executive order of the next president because they aren't acts of congress?

That isn't helping. That's placating. Realize it.
    Grimm-it could have not happened or been a step backward. Is it good enough? No way. But slowly, one crumb at a time it can change the deep rooted mindset of hatred. They see this isn't so bad, so move a little further. It is slow. We know that, but bit by bit walls come down. And no-this is not fair. but as the old Texas saying goes-there ain't no fair but the State Fair.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information