Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The battle lines are drawn:South Dakota gov signs anti-abortion bill.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default The battle lines are drawn:South Dakota gov signs anti-abortion bill.

The Associated Press
    Updated: 3:04 p.m. ET March 6, 2006

PIERRE, S.D. - Gov. Mike Rounds signed legislation Monday banning nearly all abortions in South Dakota, setting up a court fight aimed at challenging the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

The bill would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless the procedure was necessary to save the woman’s life. It would make no exception for cases of rape or incest.

Planned Parenthood, which operates the state’s only abortion clinic, in Sioux Falls, has pledged to challenge the measure in court.

Rounds issued a written statement saying he expects the law will be tied up in court for years and will not take effect unless the U.S. Supreme Court upholds it.

“In the history of the world, the true test of a civilization is how well people treat the most vulnerable and most helpless in their society. The sponsors and supporters of this bill believe that abortion is wrong because unborn children are the most vulnerable and most helpless persons in our society. I agree with them,” Rounds said in the statement.

The governor declined all media requests for interviews Monday.

The Legislature passed the bill last month after supporters argued that the recent appointment of conservative justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito have made the U.S. Supreme Court more likely to overturn Roe v. Wade.

“This is proof-positive that Gov. Rounds cares more about politics than about the health and safety of women in South Dakota,” said Sarah Stoesz, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood regional operations for Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, said in a statement Monday. “In every state, women, their families, and their doctors should be making private, personal health care decisions — not politicians.”

South Dakota’s abortion ban is to take effect July 1, but a federal judge is likely to suspend it during a legal challenge.

Abortion opponents donating money
    Rounds has said abortion opponents already are offering money to help the state pay legal bills for the anticipated court challenge. Lawmakers said an anonymous donor has pledged $1 million to defend the ban, and the Legislature set up a special account to accept donations for legal fees.

Under the new law, doctors could get up to five years in prison for performing an illegal abortion.

Rounds previously issued a technical veto of a similar bill passed two years ago because it would have wiped out all existing restrictions on abortion while the bill was tied up for years in a court challenge.

The statement he issued Monday noted that this year’s bill was written to make sure existing restrictions will be enforced during the legal battle. Current state law sets increasingly stringent restrictions on abortions as pregnancy progresses. After the 24th week, the procedure is allowed only to protect the woman’s health and safety.

About 800 abortions are performed each year in South Dakota. Planned Parenthood has said other women cross state lines to reach clinics.

AP
    Well, if abortion opponents are going to start throwing money around to win this fight, I think supporters of choice should start doing the same. Anyone know where I can sign up?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: The battle lines are drawn:South Dakota gov signs anti-abortion bill.

Before you know it, everyone in the US will be driving horses and carriages and burning witches at the stake.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: The battle lines are drawn:South Dakota gov signs anti-abortion bill.

Buttmunch: If you find out where to sign up or any info on how to fight this, can you please pass it along?? I cannot and will not sit and allow this to happen systematically through this country.....it just cannot happen. I have nieces & nephews, I have a daughter. Not to mention, a clue!
    Thanks!!

Fucking Bush...goddammit.

This one ain't him.. its your countrymen, the bumpkin retards who chew the bible with one side of their mouth and think racism is good with the other.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He certainly isn't helping though with his reject/horrible nominees to the Supreme Court! And the resurrection (no pun intended) of the Religious Sect/Nazi's...they have come out of the WOODWORK since he has been elected and he is playing to them totally--because the only reason he was elected in the first place is due to them! It's just so damn extreme!
    Doesn't need to be this way..........and yet, this is how it is.

Half your population needs to be eliminated.

MORE than half! Agreed!!

I'm against late term abortions but this sickens me. When men can give birth then they can dictate what women choose!

Oh and grim, don't be so smug. Look who YOUR majority elected

I can be smug, because we're smarter about it

We didn't elect Harper, so much as kick the Liberals out for being incompetent. We had to replace them with someone, but we voted a minority government so whomever replaced the liberals would be on a tight leash.

Harper can't do anything without parliamentary support of the 2 second biggest parties, thus he's kept in a box.

Brilliance!

A*O

Surely the ban in SD will just mean that women will travel to other states to have an abortion? Or are they going to close the borders too??
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Don't call me names!

MOM! Mushy is being MEAN AGAIN! Take away her vodka!

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    Let's all sit down and have cookies and juice, and discuss the fact that South Dakota doesn't get to make big bad laws that Daddy Constitution doesn't like. It may PRETEND, but pretending isn't reality.
    True, but it will be plenty real for the women stuck in the crossfire without the means to travel to another state for an abortion. They seem to have been lost in this debate.

I guess I'm naive but I can't help but wonder about the women who are forced to bear children of incest or rape. Even IF they are "surrounded by support," which is by no means a given, how will they, or their children fare? Unwanted children suffer at the best of times, unwanted children who result from rape or incest -- and let's not forget the myriad of health and other problems that are associated with inbreeding -- will likely suffer more than any others.

It seems an awfully cruel punishment to burden an innocent child with. Imagine even a loving parent, and that's another huge IF, as many of these unwanted children will likely end up wards of the state with mental and other problems (rape is a crime of violence and a lot of violent men have mental and other problems, including AIDS), telling their child that they were the product of rape or incest. It would take a pretty special child, not to mention parent, to overcome that.

But then, I doubt most people, especially men who WILL not be stuck with the "problem," have bothered to think through those kinds of consequences. Just let the unwanted children be born, and to hell with them, and their mothers' lives, after that.

The callousness of it sickens me. Back to the Stone Age, America.

Well the law will probably be tied up in legal wrangling till it's decided upon by the supreme court. Since it's being immediately challenged it won't go into effect till that ruling.. could be years.

Still, the fact that this is even a debate is somewhat embarrassing for a modern, progressive society that seems to want to regress 60 years.

Because the supreme court is tipped in favor of the religious whackos, and since Bush and his freaks have already shredded the constitution a number of times without anybody so much as blinking, what's to say they won't wrangle some way to do it again?

A*O

Does South Dakota have the death penalty? Just curious.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information