Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rep. Joe Barton Apologizes to BP

Default Rep. Joe Barton Apologizes to BP

Well, that was fast. Barely 10 minutes into Thursday's landmark congressional testimony — where BP CEO Tony Hayward and other leading companyexecutives are revisiting the Gulf Coast oil spill before a subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee — the first controversial statement has entered the record.
    And no, it didn't come from the gaffe-prone BP brass.

Instead, GOP Rep. Joe Barton of Texas — the ranking member on the House Energy Committee — made a decisive splash in his opening remarks. A staunch conservative who has a long record of backing oil industry interests, Barton apologized to BP CEO Tony Hayward for the "shakedown" the Obama White House pulled on the company. (Barton has received more than $1.5 million in campaign donations from the oil industry, according to Open Secrets, a nonpartisan watchdog group.)

"I'm not speaking for anybody in the House of Representatives but myself," Barton explained, "but I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday. I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown. In this case a $20 billion shakedown."

Wrapping up, Barton said: "I apologize. I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, is subject to some sort of political pressure that is, again, in my words — amounts to a shakedown, so I apologize."

— Brett Michael Dykes is a national affairs writer for Yahoo! News.
    Rep. Barton apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown' - Yahoo! News
    Video at link..

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

A staunch conservative who has a long record of backing oil industry interests, Barton apologized to BP CEO Tony Hayward for the "shakedown" the Obama White House pulled on the company. (Barton has received more than $1.5 million in campaign donations from the oil industry, according to Open Secrets, a nonpartisan watchdog group.)
    Omg I hope someone sucker punches him. What a loser. Man that's outrageous. I have to write a hate letter to someone.

BRB

ETA: Here's his contact info: Joe Barton Congressman - 6th District of Texas

Wrapping up, Barton said: "I apologize. I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, is subject to some sort of political pressure that is, again, in my words — amounts to a shakedown, so I apologize."

I trust, he knows the solution to this: gtfo...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Wrapping up, Barton said: "I apologize. I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, is subject to some sort of political pressure that is, again, in my words amounts to a shakedown, so I apologize."
    So, he admits that BP is to blame for the oil spill, but thinks it's wrong to make them cough up the cash to compensate the people who are hurt by the spill that they created. This guy's Texas oil mentality is front and center. Who does he think he is? J.R. Ewing?

No, he's a goddamn traitor.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The idiot was the chief architect of the Cheney Oil Act, which deregulated the oil industry. He also gets the majority of his campaign donations from the industry. Did anyone expect him NOT to get out the knee pads when the chairman of BP walked into the room?

Here's what he had to say back in 2004 about drilling:

With Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex) stealing the spotlight from the debate over oil spill liability by offering an apology to BP CEO Tony Hayward for the administration's push for a $20 billion escrow fund, a Democrat on the Hill sends over a 2004 remark from the Texas Republican touting the safety and virtues of offshore drilling

"Offshore drilling and production platforms are so technologically advanced that one platform on the surface of the water can handle production from several different wells several miles apart, house a myriad of technologically advanced computer systems, employ scores of personnel, generate electricity, enable people to face and conquer the adversities of living in the middle of the ocean, and do so 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; all without so much as losing a gum wrapper over the side of the platform. It is truly amazing," Barton said, at an opening for a Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing on April 29, 2004.

Barton, of course, was wrong. Though, in fairness, he would expand on his devotion to offshore drilling by encouraging the development of better technologies as oil companies expanded even further offshore.

"Who would have ever imagined that a driller would have to string together 5,000 feet of pipe just to get to the dirt?" he said. "Drilling at such depths will present a whole host of impediments to production that must be resolved through technology. American ingenuity will find the solutions."

But the point the House aide was trying to make -- one that certainly is relevant in light of Barton's apology to Hayward -- is that this is a lawmaker deeply biased in Big Oils' favor. Indeed, good government groups were quick to point out on Thursday morning the $1.4 million in contributions that Barton has received through the course of his career from the oil and gas industry as a whole.

"It's amazing that Rep. Barton would stand up for a multinational corporation that has wrecked the livelihoods of so many people along the Gulf Coast," said David Donnelly, campaign manager for the Campaign for Fair Elections. "Comments like this make all Americans question whether Congress represents them or the special interests funding their campaigns."http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/17/joe-barton-bp-apologist-i_n_615874.html
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"....Barton then went to Pol Pot's grave site to apologize for interfering with Cambodia's personnel management.

^^^ And then went to the Gulag survivors and scolded them for not working hard enough.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"Offshore drilling and production platforms are so technologically advanced
    Yup. And all of that technology was great when it prevented the spill. Oh wait...

But I bet not a single gum wrapper made it's way into the Gulf. Now THAT'S technology and ingenuity combined.

--Sinclair Lewis

Wonder how it feels to be bought and paid for.

- Mark Twain

I want to know who brings the Crisco when they meet.

--Sinclair Lewis

Sounds like Barton has a lifetime supply.

- Mark Twain

He sweats it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh, look, he's apologizing for apologizing. The man doesn't even have the balls to stand up to his corporate ball sucking.

In a very forced announcement, Rep. Joe Barton apologizes for apologizing earlier to Tony Hayward over Obama's BP "shakedown." And, in a separate release, he says, "I retract my apology to BP." Dear God. Tony Hayward looks so confused.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPemp87J8Pw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information