Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FACT CHECK: President Barack Obama left blanks in oil spill speech

Default FACT CHECK: President Barack Obama left blanks in oil spill speech

FACT CHECK: Obama left blanks in oil spill speech - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON In assuring Americans that BP won't control the compensation fund for Gulf oil spill recovery, President Barack Obama failed to mention that the government won't control it, either.

That means it's anyone's guess whether the government can, in fact, make BP pay all costs related to the spill.

Obama aimed high in his prime-time Oval Office address Tuesday night perhaps higher than the facts support and history teaches as he vowed to restore livelihoods and nature from the still-unfolding calamity in the Gulf of Mexico.

A look at some of his statements and how they compare with those facts:

OBAMA: "We will make BP pay for the damage their company has caused and we will do whatever's necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy. ... Tomorrow, I will meet with the chairman of BP and inform him that he is to set aside whatever resources are required to compensate the workers and business owners who have been harmed as a result of his company's recklessness. And this fund will not be controlled by BP. In order to ensure that all legitimate claims are paid out in a fair and timely manner, the account must and will be administered by an independent, third party."

THE FACTS: An independent arbiter is no more bound to the government's wishes than an oil company's. In that sense, there is no certainty BP will be forced to make the Gulf economy whole again or that taxpayers are off the hook for the myriad costs associated with the spill or cleanup. The government can certainly press for that, using legislative and legal tools. But there are no guarantees and the past is not reassuring.

It took 20 years to sort through liability after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska, and in the end, punitive damages were slashed by the courts to about $500 million from $2.5 billion. Many people who had lost their livelihoods in the spill died without ever seeing a check.

___

OBAMA: "In the coming days and weeks, these efforts should capture up to 90 percent of the oil leaking out of the well."

THE FACTS: BP and the administration contend that if all goes as planned, they should be able to contain nearly 90 percent of the worst-case oil flow. But that's a big "if." So far, little has gone as planned in the various remedies attempted to shut off or contain the flow. Possibly as much as 60,000 barrels a day is escaping. BP would need to nearly triple its recovery rate to reach the target.

___

OBAMA: Temporary measures will capture leaking oil "until the company finishes drilling a relief well later in the summer that is expected to stop the leak completely."

THE FACTS: That's the hope, but experts say the relief well runs the same risks that caused the original well to blow out. It potentially could create a worse spill if engineers were to accidentally damage the existing well or tear a hole in the undersea oil reservoir.

___

OBAMA: "From the very beginning of this crisis, the federal government has been in charge of the largest environmental cleanup effort in our nation's history."

THE FACTS: Early on, the government established a command center and put Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen in charge of coordinating the overall spill response. But officials also repeatedly have emphasized that BP was "responsible" and they have relied heavily on BP in making decisions from hiring cleanup workers to what oil dispersing chemicals to use. Local officials in the Gulf region have complained that often they don't know who's in charge the government or BP.

___

OBAMA: "We have approved the construction of new barrier islands in Louisiana to try and stop the oil before it reaches the shore."

THE FACTS: Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and local officials pleaded for weeks with the Army Corps of Engineers and the spill response command for permission to build about 40 miles of sand berms along the barrier islands.

State officials applied for an emergency permit to build the berms May 11, but as days went by Jindal became increasingly angry at federal inaction. The White House finally agreed to a portion of the berm plan on June 2. BP then agreed to pay for the project.

The corps was worried that in some cases such a move would alter tides and drive oil into new areas and produce more harm than good.

___

OBAMA: "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs, but for the sake of their safety and for the sake of the entire region, we need to know the facts before we allow deepwater drilling to continue."

THE FACTS: Obama issued a six-month moratorium on new permits for deepwater drilling but production continues from existing deepwater wells.

nevermind that right after Deepwater deep-sixed, 108 new deepwater drilling permits were issues.. the latest was june 10

There's no fucking moratorium
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Even the sychophants at MSNBC weren't fans of this bullshit speech:

Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann and Howard Fineman react to President Obama's Oval Office Address on the oil spill. Here are the highlights of what the trio said:

Olbermann: "It was a great speech if you were on another planet for the last 57 days."

Matthews compared Obama to Carter.

Olbermann: "Nothing specific at all was said."

Matthews: "No direction."

Howard Fineman: "He wasn't specific enough."

Olbermann: "I don't think he aimed low, I don't think he aimed at all. It's startling."

Howard Fineman: Obama should be acting like a "commander-in-chief."

Matthews: Ludicrous that he keeps saying [Secretary of Energy] Chu has a Nobel prize. "I'll barf if he does it one more time."

Matthews: "A lot of meritocracy, a lot of blue ribbon talk."

Matthews: "I don't sense executive command."

Video at link

RealClearPolitics - Video - MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command"

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Good address by Obama. But I'm curious as to how he's going to actually make BP set aside money. If he can pull that off, it'd be a nice trick. But I won't get my hopes up that it's going to happen.

How in the name of hell was that a good address
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Okay, I'll take the bait...

Grim, I told you last year that I wasn't going to waste anymore time having pointless fights with you about Obama and I meant it. Nothing's changed.

I don't really care that you don't like Obama. But I don't want to talk about Obama 24/7, let alone argue about him 24/7. And I'm not going to do either with you or anyone else. Understood? Good. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Grim, you're still stuck on this 24/7 'failbama' kick, which is cool. But I'm not getting into another tiresome debate about Obama with you, because it's a waste of time. So, if that's what you're looking for, it's not happening.

And the Dems as a party, not just Obama, are taking a hit in the polls because of both his & their clusterfuck handling of healthcare reform and the economy not recovering fast enough.
    P-Day: Sarah Palin one year later

So you don't want to talk about Obama, and yet comment in an Obama thread, and then decline to talk about Obama after talking about Obama?

LOL

Whatever.

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalallalalala
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Yeah kingcap that's a pretty bullshit move. Come in, defend your idiot president, then refuse to answer Grimm's completely valid question because you have your widdle biddle feewings hurt.

During the election, I had people shoving Obama in my face every day. Telling me I was fucking stupid if I was going to vote for anybody else. Sainting his lying, cheating ass over a bunch of empty promises and looking down on me for not buying them. Now all this happens, and the same assholes who sucked his cock during the election are either making excuses, avoiding debate, or just keeping quiet. It's not right.

I love that Grimm's so pissed off about this, seeing as how he's Canadian and isn't obligated to care as much as us American folk. So either put on your big girl panties and discuss the fucking topic this thread is about, or go somewhere else and talk about something else. Dammit.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Let me be clear though: McGeezer and Caribou BitchBarbie weren't any kind of alternative. Things would have been much the same, or a little worse...but with more mockery and facepalming.

Hillary is the same corporate shill type as Obama, I can't imagine things being much better under her either.

The entire 2 party, corporately owned system is rotted to the core and needs to go.

Oh I agree with you on that. Though I do think McCain would've handled the oil spill better. (I also think my cat would've handled it better, so take that as you will.) I just hate that attitude that was swirling around the election, it was this arrogant, pompous bullshit of "well Obama is clearly the saviour and if you don't vote for him you hate America and the planet and freedom and hope!!! Hillbilly!!!" and now that he's not the second coming of Christ like they thought they "don't want to debate anymore" and it makes me mad. That's all.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Let me be clear though: McGeezer and Caribou BitchBarbie weren't any kind of alternative. Things would have been much the same, or a little worse...but with more mockery and facepalming.

Hillary is the same corporate shill type as Obama, I can't imagine things being much better under her either.

The entire 2 party, corporately owned system is rotted to the core and needs to go.
    agreed. obama was the better choice but ... here we are, not so much better off than we were 2,3,4 years ago... gee, I thought we'd get some change...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

The thing with Obama is that he said all the right things. He did. He said the right things the right way, came along at the right time, and plugged into the zeitgeist. I don't fault people for believing in what he said, because what he said was what needed to happen.

Unfortunately he's done a 180 on pretty much everything, which is the problem. Almost none of it happened. A false bill of goods people were sold.

If he had just done what he said he would, he would have gone down as one of the most important Presidents EVER. He had the most political capital of anybody in the last 50 years.

Sure, but why would anybody believe him? There was evidence in his voting record as senator that contradicted the stuff he was saying during his campaign, and he always came across as a total politician to me. I just don't understand why everybody thought he would be the guy who really meant it this time, serious!!1 when it was pretty obvious he was blowing smoke up everybody's ass. I guess because people wanted to believe it so much?

After 8 years of Bush, people were desperate for actual hope. He preyed on that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information