Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congressman warns of energy bill killing old southern people

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Congressman warns of energy bill killing old southern people

Georgia Rep. Paul Broun is concerned about an energy bill killing old people in hot states. What happens when Floridians and Georgians turn up their thermostats in summer, to save on bills? Waves of death, says this esteemed "medical doctor."

Here's what Broun — who comically suggested that all old people would die under any sort of health care reform, too, which he compared to the "Great War of Yankee Aggression" — had to say on the House floor Wednesday night regarding even the whiff of a clean energy bill:

BROUN: A lot of old people in Georgia and Florida and all out throughout the southeast and the southwest are dependent on air conditioning just to live. And if their electricity bills go sky high, as the energy tax is gonna make it happen, if that ever passes there are a lot of people that can't afford to run their air conditioning any more and a lot of people are gonna have a hard time with hyperthermia is what I call it - what we call it in medicine as a medical doctor - which means that their body temperature's gonna go up, they're gonna have dehydration, and people are gonna have a lot of problems. And it's gonna have a greater impact on our health care system and people are gonna die because of that. But it's gonna kill jobs too.
    Oh right, jobs too. But more importantly: constant human death.

Is there really a point in responding to the particulars of what he's saying? Old people dying en masse across the American South because they might, might have to turn up their thermostats from 68 to 71 in summer, to save cash — assuming they don't just stop buying as much other shit to offset the costs of saving their lives? The federal government will never require old people in the South — especially permanent swing-state Florida — to do anything. This is pretty much a rule.

Anyway, Broun's comments should be in a Sarah Palin viral Facebook note shortly.Congressman Warns of Energy Bill Killing Overheated Southern Old People
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUk3apFnpHQ&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Ok, first, can I start with a disclaimer that says I am not posting this to piss on the south, I'm posting this to point out the stupidity of a particular congressman?

Now, to the subject at hand: what the hell did people do before air conditioning? Here's an idea! Build your houses like people in hot climates build them: Ever been to the south of Spain? Morocco? thick, cooling walls of stone, small windows that are high up, all built around a courtyard and bloody hell, CLOSE THE FUCKING CURTAINS.

And really, Scarlett helped Melanie birth a damned baby (with NO help from Prissy) in the middle of not only a heat wave but with the Yankees burning down Atlanta. You southern types are made of tough stuff.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Syd

Well, the old poor people aren't building houses, they are living in old poorly insulated homes. It gets hot as fuck here and they can't afford the electricity, so they don't raise the thermostat. They turn the A/C off.

What did they do before A/C? Same thing they do now. Many die. This man is telling the truth. Maybe exaggerating a little, but it happens more than you probably realize.

I don't know wtf the author of this article is going on about, this congressman is right. I know that every heatwave that hit the midwest when I was growing up the elderly would die in droves. There are lots of charities that set up cooling stations and give out free fans and window air conditioners, but still a lot of the elderly wouldn't use them because they knew they couldn't pay the electric bill.

And even trying to compare this to how things were "in the olden days" is just ridiculous when the average temperatures are higher than they were 50 years ago.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

But again, A/C is a fairly modern convenience. Why aren't they dropping like flies in various countries where temperatures are far higher? I understand that the assholes that slap up crap housing aren't thinking about the weather but wouldn't this be just another wake up call to build housing that is appropriate to the climate? I lived in Oz and the house I lived in would have been hell without A/C, mainly because they built the whole thing with massive windows to 'catch the sun', which was a nightmare due to the sun being one hell of a burning fucker 80% of the time. I sympathize somewhat with the situation but bloody hell, build to suit the climate. Seriouslyl, go to the south of Spain or to even Northern Africa. THere are no huge windows, there are thick stone walls, high windows and no A/C...strangely, the olds don't die from the heat. It's bad plannning and at the end of the day more money (never mind the environment) will be saved by re-configuring the houses.

I ahve to day that it's the kidn of stuff that drives me nuts. People braying on about the heat but not doing the simplest things to combat it.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Wasn't it just like 2002 or 2003 when something like 75,000 Europeans died in a heatwave?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yeah, northern europeans don't usually need AC most of the time so most of them don't have it.

Problem with florida is not only the heat but the humidity. It's not a dry heat like a lot of spain or the middle east. It's a damp bitch down there a lot of the time.

Then you have to factor in construction for hurricanes...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Never have 70 thousand Europeans died in a heat wave. The last massive heat wave in central Europe was in, I think, 2002. I was in Paris at the tiem and yes, it was bloody hot and a few olds did. But it was also an aberation. I'm just saying that if you live in an area where it is regularly hot as hell build decent shelter. It makes sense to do this. Amd I'm sorry all the olds who move down from New England and move into houses with big windows to 'let hte light in' are suffereing but damn, use your head.

--Sinclair Lewis

Orly?

Thank golbal warming ;i guess, since in the thousand of years prior it wasn't such an issues. Sure people died but it was never like this. But tell that to the deniers. And to be honest, I was living in Europe at the time and it was more hundreds than thousands. I will check your source. I don't really see where the argument is, actually. If you live in a hot climate, build accordingly. If you do't build accordingly you will suffer and perhaps die. It ain't rock science.

--Sinclair Lewis

This really is a problem and many elderly people die every year due to the heat. They are on fixed incomes and can't afford the electric bills so they don't use fans or a/c's then they die. Better housing would be a good idea but really where are these people supposed to come up with the money for that? It's usually the poor that's on a very small fixed income that die.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Oh,hush your mouth! Around here (we are talking Texas merciless heat here) the ELECTRIC companies tell you not to set the thermostat under 78 dgrees. If you use 78 and have a fan on, the wind chill will make it feel almost 10 degrees cooler. Here is the main problem, but no one listens!! Housing contractors. They do not make our houses energy efficient. We ALL pay for that. When I moved to Alaska in February, I took every warm thing I could find. Not needed. Their houses are so air tight, no electricity is wasted.Huge difference.
    But look at the mega-millions of houses already built. An exposed brick wall is just a brick oven here. Vines would help. But I digress.
    No one should use the old 72 degree thing. Wasteful. If you use 78, use a fan and you will not die. Neither will the planet. Oh-and you will have more cash. Keep yourself cool-not the whole house.

Shedevil! I was not talking to you,Precious Pet. Here, elderly get help with electric bills, so do not have to cut off.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

In US heat waves in the North, alot of the elderly deaths happen in inner city areas, because older people are in poorly ventilated houses(often closed up completely because they are afraid of crime, windows shut and barred, etc.) with no air conditioning. Even if they have it, they will not use it-too expensive. A good example is what happened in Chicago in 1995 I believe-over 500 dead in that city alone.

And regarding the article, what about the thousands of older people in poorly ventilated housing up north who will get pneumonia and die due to having to LOWER their thermostats when it is fifteen degrees below zero in the winter?

I can see the need for subsidies for energy bills for elderly people(or any people with a low income) but this guy is ridiculous. I guess 'Yankee' old people dying of the cold in winter must be ok. How stupid to make this a 'North vs South' issue when it really is not.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    In US heat waves in the North, alot of the elderly deaths happen in inner city areas, because older people are in poorly ventilated houses(often closed up completely because they are afraid of crime, windows shut and barred, etc.) with no air conditioning. Even if they have it, they will not use it-too expensive. A good example is what happened in Chicago in 1995 I believe-over 500 dead in that city alone.

And regarding the article, what about the thousands of older people in poorly ventilated housing up north who will get pneumonia and die due to having to LOWER their thermostats when it is fifteen degrees below zero in the winter?

I can see the need for subsidies for energy bills for elderly people(or any people with a low income) but this guy is ridiculous. I guess 'Yankee' old people dying of the cold in winter must be ok. How stupid to make this a 'North vs South' issue when it really is not.
    That is the sad part-it is an elderly issue. Soj-do they have a place on your bill where you can contrubute an extra dollar on your light bill?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Orly?
    You can find all sorts of numbers.

European heatwave caused 35,000 deaths - 10 October 2003 - New Scientist
    "France suffered the worst losses, with 14,802 people dying from causes attributable to the blistering heat. This is "more than 19 times the death toll from the SARS epidemic worldwide", notes the EPI.

August 2003 was the hottest August on record in the northern hemisphere. But projections by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predict more erratic weather, the EPI notes. By the end of this century, the average world temperature is projected to climb by 1.4 to 5.8C.

"Though heat waves rarely are given adequate attention, they claim more lives each year than floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes combined," warns the EPI. "Heat waves are a silent killer, mostly affecting the elderly, the very young, or the chronically ill."

The searing August heat claimed about 7000 lives in Germany, nearly 4200 lives in both Spain and Italy. Over 2000 people died in the UK, with the country recording is first ever temperature over 100 Fahrenheit on 10th August."
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    But look at the mega-millions of houses already built. An exposed brick wall is just a brick oven here. Vines would help. But I digress.

All the owners of the ugly Persian Palaces around here, cut down the old trees immediately, leaving the sides and black roofs exposed. They don't want the bother of leaves in the fall.

It's been 92+ for 2 weeks. Barely any rain, since we've created an artificial desert of black surfaces that radiates heat upward and the storm clouds pass over too high.

Mention at a town hall meeting that cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Seattle and Portland are subsidizing roof top gardens and tree planting. Why? Because they need the rain. Oh but The South can't possibly impinge on developers or the rich. It's un-American!
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information