Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescott, Arizona elementary school to 'whiten' image of child in mural

Default Prescott, Arizona elementary school to 'whiten' image of child in mural

Prescott, Ariz., elementary school to 'whiten' image of child in mural - Yahoo! News

Artists Pamela J. Smith and R.E. Wall, also the project's director, sit in front of their “Go on Green” mural on Wednesday outside Miller Valley Elementary School in Prescott.

An artist's decision to prominently feature a non-white child on an elementary-school mural in Prescott, Ariz., sparked so much controversy that school administrators asked him to "lighten" the child's face after a city councilman launched a campaign against the mural, according to the Arizona Republic.

The Prescott episode isn't likely to help Arizona's growing reputation as a battleground of racial and ethnic confrontation, as the state faces a widespread boycott campaign over its harsh new immigration law.

The mural, which was funded by a state grant, features the faces of four actual students at the school and is intended to promote biking and other environmentally sustainable modes of transportation. The most prominent face on it belongs to a Latino student.

Steve Blair didn't like that. Blair, local city councilman and talk-radio host, inveighed against the mural on his show last month, according to the New York Daily News:

"I am not a racist individual," Blair said on a radio show last month, "but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's President of the United States today and based upon the history of this community, when I grew up we had four black families — who I have been very good friends with for years — to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?' "

Good question, to which there are two answers: 1) The boy in question is of Latino heritage (but it's hard to tell them all apart sometimes, right?), and 2) because the boy in question is of Latino heritage. It is suspicious, though, seeing as how only 42 percent of Arizonans aren't white.

R.E. Wall, a Prescott artist who worked on the mural along with several other members of the city's Downtown Mural Project, told the Republic that local residents driving by the mural as they were painting it — sometimes with children helping — shouted ethnic slurs. Wall claimed the school's principal asked him to make the child's skin tone lighter in response to the pushback. The principal acknowledged receiving three complaints about the child's race but insisted that the lightening was an "artistic" decision.

The important thing to remember here is that Steve Blair is not a racist individual and that he has been very good friends with Prescott's four black
    families for years. Blair didn't immediately return a phone call from Yahoo! News.

More at: Altered mural fuels racial debate in Prescott

What the fuck is wrong with people in Arizona? And to think we are labeled racists here in the south. Looks like the people around here are light years ahead of these fuckers.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

good god
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

What's wrong with AZ?
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Here's more on the story:

Arizona Elementary School Will Whiten The Faces Of Its Own Students On A Mural Because Some Racists Yelled At It Ken Layne at Wonkette, this is just the worst story in the world:

An Arizona elementary school mural featuring the faces of kids who attend the school has been the subject of constant daytime drive-by racist screaming, from adults, as well as a radio talk-show campaign (by an actual city councilman, who has an AM talk-radio show) to remove the black student's face, and now the school principal has ordered the faces of the Latino and Black students to be changed to Caucasian skin.
    F'ing hell. Read the rest of the details here. And here's Richard Lawson's reaction, at Gawker.

What can I say about this? We are talking about a bunch of mentally deranged adults, who have terrorized an elementary school, for daring to paint a mural featuring the faces of black and Latino children -- actual black and Latino children who live in Arizona. And we're also talking about a group of adults who have decided to send a stirring message to their students and the world: when a bunch of mentally deranged adults -- and we are not talking about people who are particularly threatening, this is a bunch of utterly gutless mopes, yelling racial slurs from their cars, egged on by some pinhead city councilman cowering behind a radio microphone -- threaten a bunch of children, the best thing to do is to accede to their psychotic, racist "demands."

Seriously, educators of Prescott, Arizona, when some creep demands you whiten the faces of your own students on a mural, the correct response is to say, "No, we will not be doing anything of the sort."

This story really should be blasted, far and wide. You cable news producers need to get this story in the mix with a quickness. And let me be clear to you all: there are no "two sides to this story." This is not something you need to have a panel discussion about. CNN, I don't want to see you plumbing the depths of your counterintuition on your website, or lending credence to the notion that the gutless mopes in their cars, shrieking racial slurs at the images of children have an interesting point of view that we should "hear out" because of the need to be "balanced." This is your moment to decry, condemn, and brutalize these evil people.

Blast them to hell, or go jump in the Gulf of Mexico.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"Councilman Blair defended his comments Friday. "To me it wasn't about race, they made it about race…. If I've offended anybody out there I apologize to them, because we have a lot of cultures in Prescott.""

"Councilman Blair was fired from his radio show, due to his comments about the mural."
    Painters Asked to Give Boy in Mural Lighter Skin
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Well, alrighty then, Mr. Councilman. I love it when you elected officials do these types of things and then go "if I have offended anybody..."
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

oh for god's sake what the fuck is wrong with people?
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Silver Member

And some people continue to roll their eyes whenever racism is brought up. This country's running on a treadmill.

Elite Member

If I've offended anybody out there I apologize to them, because we have a lot of cultures in Prescott.""
    Ding! Ding! An "IF" apology.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

I live in this hell called Arizona. It would be simpler to ask "What is RIGHT about Arizona"? Quite simply, NOTHING. I have 2 years to save up enough money to get the hell outta here. It's so ass backwards and I don't EVER see it getting any better

I've tried to disassociate myself from all of the shit going on down here in order to save my sanity. I just keep repeating to myself "Two more years...you can do it...you can do it.."
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Wow, I am pretty shocked. I was more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding their new law as I lived in another highly affected area in California. However there is no possible excuse in the world to cover this. This is racist and an awful representation of a people in a horrible state.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Their new law was crafted by people with ties to white power groups. The entire thing is racism cloaked in semi-legitimacy.

Pretty sure the native americans who inhabited arizona would like their land back from the white invader.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes, the natives had it before the Mexicans and before the Europeans.....but come on, those people don't really count.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

well, according to some "experts" obviously none of "those people" even exist anymore.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information