Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meth and hooker loving preacher Ted Haggard to make big announcement

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Meth and hooker loving preacher Ted Haggard to make big announcement

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Former megachurch pastor Ted Haggard has called a news conference to make an unspecified announcement.
    The announcement from the evangelical pastor who fell from grace amid a sex scandal is planned Wednesday at Haggard's Colorado Springs home, three weeks after Haggard said he had filed incorporation papers for a new church.
    Haggard has said he and his wife incorporated the church for accounting purposes but predicted they would return to some type of ministry one day.
    Haggard resigned as senior pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church and as president of the National Association of Evangelicals in 2006 after a male prostitute alleged Haggard paid him for sex over three years. Haggard confessed to "sexual immorality."
    The Haggards held two prayer meetings at their home last year.The Associated Press: Ex-pastor Ted Haggard plans announcement in Colo.

Let the speculation begin...
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

dead yet
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I say he's going to go out ala Budd Dwyer, live on film.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    I say he's going to go out ala Budd Dwyer, live on film.
    He's probably just going to announce a new "church". But that would be all kinds of AWESOME!
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

The straight has worn off.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

After watching the documentary on Haggard, the possibilities for this announcement are endless.

I just read that he may be doing a reality show.

^^Bloody hell. It'll involve him helping others pray the gay away, no doubt.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Is that this Wednesday, as in today? What time??
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

no, he's not coming out of the closet, he's just starting a new church.

Disgraced Pastor Ted Haggard Says New Church Will Welcome Everyone

1 hour ago

Ted Haggard, disgraced founder of the Evangelical New Life Church, is embarking on a new life of his own. Haggard announced today that he and his family will start a new church in Colorado Springs, Colo., with what he says will be an egalitarian bent:
    The Saint James Church which will be open to everyone, Republicans and Democrats, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike.

Haggard, once an outspoken opponent of gay marriage, resigned as the head of his 14,000-member megachurch and as president of the National Association of Evangelicals in 2006 when male prostitute Mike Jones said that the pastor had been paying him for sex for the last three years and had bought methamphetamines from him.

Haggard, a 53-year-old married father of five, also confessed to having had an inappropriate sexual relationship with Grant Haas, a 20-year-old male volunteer, in 2006. Earlier this year, Haggard said he had discovered in therapy that he had been abused by a man when he was a child and that therapy has cured him of his gay "compulsions."

At the press conference today, the reborn pastor said the new church would be dedicated to helping "other people go through the difficult times in their lives."
    Filed Under: Surge Desk
    Tagged: evangelical, new life church, saint james church, sex scandal, Ted Haggard

Disgraced Pastor Ted Haggard Says New Church Will Welcome Everyone
    Ted Haggard Is Back: Gay Sex, Drug Scandal Can't Keep Evangelical Leader Down

2 hours ago

6 Comments Say Something »

Print Text Size
    EmailMore

David Gibson
    Columnist
    Author Bio »
    Contact Author »
    Subscribe :

Christianity is all about second acts, and disgraced evangelical leader Ted Haggard is the latest conservative Christian to exploit that role to the hilt.

Haggard announced Wednesday that he is starting a new church in the same town -- Colorado Springs -- that he left in disgrace in 2006 following a gay sex and drugs scandal.

Until then Haggard was renowned as founder of Colorado Spring's huge New Life Church, head of the National Association of Evangelicals, and one of the nation's most prominent Christian crusaders for conservative values. But his campaign against a gay marriage initiative prompted a male prostitute to announce that he and Haggard had hooked up a number of times and also used meth. Haggard and his family dropped out of sight for two years -- he now says he is "a heterosexual with issues" -- but gradually returned to preaching at churches around the country.

Last November Haggard and his wife, Gayle, held two prayer meetings at their home in Colorado Springs, drawing more than 100 people each time to their living room. Subsequent assemblies were held in the barn on their property.

On April 29, Haggard and his wife incorporated a new church, called St. James, at their home address. Haggard insisted it was for accounting purposes -- in January, Gayle released a memoir, "Why I Stayed," and is also a sought-after speaker. But he also told the Colorado Springs Gazette that he could see St. James becoming another full-scale church with membership roll and choir.

"Sometime, somewhere we will do some type of ministry," Haggard said.

What type of ministry it will be is going to be a topic of debate. The name of the church, Haggard says, connects to the Epistle of St. James in the New Testament, and the famous passage that "faith without works is dead."

For an evangelical leader who was know as one of the bigger scolds in American Christianity, yet was found to have feet of clay, the bible passage could resonate -- or fall flat.

"Locally it is being called 'Second Church of the Hypocrite'." a commenter at the Christianity Today web site wrote.

Just as problematic could be the reaction of the leadership of Haggard's neighbors at the New Life megachurch. Haggard's scandal devastated and infuriated many in the church, which has suffered a drop in membership and donations. Haggard and New Life negotiated a severance package stipulating that Haggard would undergo counseling with a team of Christian leaders and that he would leave the area and not start a rival church.

But Haggard left the counseling arrangement before New Life said he was done, and they barred him from a future ministerial role there. Haggard was at one time reportedly selling insurance as he worked toward a degree in counseling, and he also began asking the public for donations to support him and his family.

In June 2008, when the conditions of the severance package expired, Haggard and his family moved back to Colorado Springs.

Last year the couple launched what some call a "repentance tour," appearing on Oprah Winfrey's show, with Larry King, and on Good Morning America and other national broadcasts -- even "Divorce Court."

Haggard also appeared in an HBO documentary about the scandal titled "The Trials of Ted Haggard," by Alexandra Pelosi, daughter of the Speaker of the House.
    Filed Under: Religion, Gay Rights, Disputations, Conservatives
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Who funds this crap?
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

So now he's tax-exempt? Pass the plate.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Fuck this asshole.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Look at Jim Baker. He and his wife have a television show. These guys have a following, sickening
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

So are they going to accept gays?

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information