Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama backs immunity for Pope against sexual assault lawsuits

Unhappy Obama backs immunity for Pope against sexual assault lawsuits

This oughta send his popularity through the roof

The Obama administration in a brief to the Supreme Court has backed the Vatican's claim of immunity from lawsuits arising from cases of sexual abuse by priests in the United States.

The Supreme Court is considering an appeal by the Vatican of an appellate court ruling that lifted its immunity in the case of an alleged pedophile priest from Oregon.

In a filing on Friday, the solicitor general's office argued that the Ninth Circuit court of appeals erred in allowing the lawsuit brought by a man who claims he was sexually abused in the 1960s by the Oregon priest.

The unnamed plaintiff, who cited the Holy See and several other parties as defendants, argued the Vatican should be held responsible for transferring the priest to Oregon and letting him serve there despite previous accusations he had abused children in Chicago and in Ireland.

The solicitor general's office, which defends the position of President Barack Obama's administration before the Supreme Court, said the Ninth Circuit improperly found the case to be an exception to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, a 1976 federal law that sets limits on when other countries can face lawsuits in US courts.

"Although the decision does not conflict with any decision of another court of appeals, the Court may wish to grant the petition, vacate the judgement of the court of appeals and remand to that court for further consideration".

The case, which was filed in 2002, does not directly address questions raised in a separate lawsuit in Kentucky alleging that US bishops are employees of the Holy See.

But the Vatican plans to argue that Catholic dioceses are run as separate entities from the Holy See, and that the only authority that the pontiff has over bishops around the world is a religious one, according to Jeffrey Lena, the Vatican's US attorney.

In recent months, large-scale pedophilia scandals have rocked the Roman Catholic Church in a number of countries, including Austria, Ireland, Pope Benedict XVI's native Germany and the United States.

Senior clerics have been accused of protecting the priests involved by moving them to other parishes -- where they sometimes offended again -- instead of handing them over to civil authorities for prosecution.

The pope, who has himself faced allegations implicating him in the scandal, has repeatedly said priests and religious workers guilty of child abuse should answer for their crimes in courts of law.

Obama admin. backs Vatican’s claim of immunity to sexual abuse lawsuits | Raw Story
    LOL holy fuck, what an assclown
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Seriously? Not one comment? LOL

this is huge!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Dude, you know so many go on mental ignore when Obama's in the wrong. Fingers in the ears- lalalalala

They save the anger for the really important stuff, like Palin's speaking fees.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; May 26th, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

or any article about a "repug"... Obama don't got no magic wand, ya'll know! His plate! It's so full!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Jeez I get more embarrassed every day that I voted for this guy. This is crazy.

SVZ

How is this....whaaat the fuuuuuck...Obama...C'MON!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Damn! Obama is now a brazen pedophile apologist! I wondered how low can he go...

Pretty low, he's trying to scrap social security and is in talks to "alter" miranda rights so you don't get ANY rights till the pigs are done with you... and it doesn't matter how long that might be.

Elite Member

OMG. Unbelievable.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Pretty low, he's trying to scrap social security and is in talks to "alter" miranda rights so you don't get ANY rights till the pigs are done with you... and it doesn't matter how long that might be.
    Yep, he's making it so they can rape us with impunity six ways from Sunday, starting at birth.

oh goody! finally getting some change!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

sickening
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Huh. This is one case but it could have a devastating impact on others. I wonder what the reasoning was behind it. Anyone know where to find the brief?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I recall hearing on NPR or somewhere else months ago that it's a diplomatic immunity issue. It's nothing special that the Obama administration is doing.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Seriously? Not one comment? LOL

this is huge!

I think a lot of us who voted for this fake piece of shit are so skullfucked from the whiplash of his every idiotic move that there isn't anything new to say.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information