Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DADT Vote Coming This Week

Default DADT Vote Coming This Week

It looks like the "Don't ask, don't tell" compromise drawn up by activists, the White House, and Congress yesterday is officially going forward. According to the deal, Congress will vote this week to (hopefully!) repeal the policy, but the Pentagon is not required to act until they've finished their year-long review, in December.

This is something of a rebuke to Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who begged Congress not to do anything until the end of the year. But Rep. Patrick Murphy says he has the votes in the House and, in the Senate, Joe Lieberman and Carl Levin seem confident enough to try to move on it this week.

Along with the rest of the usual suspects, John McCain is already whining about it. (We're sure his wife and daughter are thrilled with him for deciding to add gay service-members to the list of people he's betraying in his quest to not just go home and retire.) But a majority of Americans -- even a majority of Republicans! -- supports allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military. Apparently Congress is only supposed to LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE when the people want them to end imaginary tax hikes and stop redistributing money to black people and whatnot.

In addition to allowing the Pentagon to delay repeal until their study is complete, the legislation seems to give them leeway to put off repeal indefinitely. (But they wouldn't do that, right?)

So if you're a closeted LGBT service-member, just hold on tight for another year or so. (Unless a bunch of "moderate" Democrats sink this compromise because they're scared! In that case, continue Not Telling indefinitely.)

"Don't ask, don't tell" repeal vote coming this week - War Room - Salon.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

In addition to allowing the Pentagon to delay repeal until their study is complete, the legislation seems to give them leeway to put off repeal indefinitely.

Nice!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

*snort*

yeah, a "compromise" on equality. it's not a freaking compromise at all, it's a joke.

This has already been torn apart by the LGBT community, despite the gay orgs thinking it's wonderful.

it's a total load of shit
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This is BULLSHIT! We must demand FULL EQUALITY!

The repeal language should include:

1. Timeline with firm implementation date, no later than six months after the conclusion of the study in December 2010.

2. Non-discrimination language be included to protect LGBT members from discrimination based on sexual orientation.

3. Stop-Loss halt on all discharges under the current DADT law, and return of previously discharged troops.

4. No separate barracks or facilities for gays. This proposed homophobic segregation is not acceptable, and is just as discriminatory as putting blacks in separate quarters and units. The existing Military Code of Conduct should be adequate, and possibly cited in the DADT repeal bill. Separate is not equal.

-Tommy News

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

DADT is a Congressional action and must be undone through Congress. At the moment there are probably enough votes in the House but there are not enough in the Senate. I believe it is at least two short. So to send it through Congress without the votes is asking for it to be upheld. I don't agree with it being delayed but I'm not sure what the alternative would be.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

^^
    This.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

You guys aren't actually reading what it's about. It's basically a lie. Do your research, beckies.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    You guys aren't actually reading what it's about. It's basically a lie. Do your research, beckies.
    Thank you, Grim.

It's a big hunking steam of shit. No bogus "study"/stall tactic. FULL EQUALITY, nothing less.

Think about it: a study on whether gays can integrate with straight people? DISGUSTING. How would you like it if you or someone you know was fired because they were gay? THAT'S what they need a 4.4 MILLION study for. That's one BIG WASTE of tax payer dollars.

Those who don't give a shit about gay rights will at least give a shit about the 4.4 million, trust me.

Don't be fooled by this "progress" people. Call your senators and don't stop till this BS is repealed.

Nevermind that the "study" is already stacked against the gays.. far right anti gay hate groups are being consulted, the soldier interviews are specifically taking place at the most conservative and right leaning bases, and the outfit involved in doing this (this costs about 5 million btw) has right wing think-tank ties.

So what happens if and when this compromise goes through? Well, first of all this new legislation has no timeline. Nor does it have non-discrimination provisions which would have guaranteed that the new rules wouldn't be similar to the old rules. Secondly, all power to decide if the gays get to serve openly resides with the Pentagon, the executive will have abdicated that. In the end it won't matter much anyway if the study comes back citing "unforseen difficulties" or something more blatant, like "gays will hurt unit cohesion".. by midterms the losercrats won't have enough votes to wipe their own ass, and certainly won't have enough to pass any DADT repeal if they even bother.

The study is a stall tactic and a last ditch "no go" effort in case the Dems scrape by with enough votes to repeal DADT. It's a plan B.

Obama can then say "whelp, we tried!" so he carries the illusion of doing something while actively fighting against it, like usual. Just like health "reform".

Also, an interesting tidbit:

Implementation wouldn't take place until after a Defense Department study assessing its impact is completed, the chairman explained, and military and defense leaders get to weigh in on the findings.

...Mullen called the "certification trigger" provided in the proposed amendment critical.

"The language in there right now preserves my prerogative - and I believe, my responsibility - to give the best military advice," he said.

"That trigger is to certify whether we should move ahead with that change, even if the law were to repeal it," he told a reporter following the session.
    Whether? WHETHER? If the law changes, you follow orders you little tinpot piece of shit.

See, this is the shit I'm talking about. Plans B, C and D if, by some miracle, this repeal thing actually happens which is a long shot, to NOT do it.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; May 27th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I see they are slapping lipstick on a pig again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well, according to all reports there aren't enough votes in the Senate so what research are you talking about? I don't think anyone disagrees that it should be repealed but you need the Congressional votes to do it. Get those and you're golden.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

This "compromise" doesn't do anything of the sort, so tell me what the purpose of it is.

Hit By Ban Bus!

..because even if they get the votes the Pentagon is outright saying they may not move ahead with it and apparently there is nothing in the 'law' to force them.

I agree that the compromise isn't the best solution but again, I'm not sure what the alternative is.

--Sinclair Lewis

There appears to be no alternative because the fix is in.

The President won't be in charge of DADT under this "compromise." It gives Mullen and Gates the statutory power to veto whatever the President wants.

Now, why would any President agree to allow his subordinates to veto him? Answer: A President who wants his subordinates to veto him and take the heat for keeping DADT in place for years and years.

All that's left is mass civil disobedience

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information