Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13 Myth Busting Facts About American History

As far as I know, just Chris Brown.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

what the hell is heinsight
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    that still doesn't change the fact that it was not the US who single-handedly defeated the nazis and liberated europe, as they would have you believe and as they've been teaching children for years.
    No, but clearly, the Soviet Union made its bed and was lying in it.

By the way, I also think it was better to be a country that was liberated by, and occupied by the U.S. after the defeat of Germany, than one that was liberated and occupied by the Soviet Union. It took a lot of those countries an extra 40-50 years to actually become liberated from their liberators.

The Sovs battle abilities are sometimes bit overstated as well. Take the battle of Raate Road against the Finns. 10,000 Finns faced 25,000 Sovs. Casualties for the USSR were close to 10,000, the Finns less than 500. The whole Suomussalmi campaign resulted in the greatly superior in numbers Sov forces getting their asses handed to them by the Finns.

Again, WW2 was a cumulative victory for the Allies. Each ally played their part.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The Sovs battle abilities are sometimes bit overstated as well. Take the battle of Raate Road against the Finns. 10,000 Finns faced 25,000 Sovs. Casualties for the USSR were close to 10,000, the Finns less than 500. The whole Suomussalmi campaign resulted in the greatly superior in numbers Sov forces getting their asses handed to them by the Finns.

Again, WW2 was a cumulative victory for the Allies. Each ally played their part.
    "America provided the money, Britain provided the time and Russia provided the bodies."

Can't remember where I read that.

anyway, my brother's high school students refuse to admit that the USSR was ever an ally of the USA until he makes it a test essay. It's so ingrained in our culture that Russia was The Enemy, that sometimes a student will jump up and call him a commie for teaching the facts.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    "America provided the money, Britain provided the time and Russia provided the bodies."

Can't remember where I read that.

anyway, my brother's high school students refuse to admit that the USSR was ever an ally of the USA until he makes it a test essay. It's so ingrained in our culture that Russia was The Enemy, that sometimes a student will jump up and call him a commie for teaching the facts.

I have to ask where this is. And wtf with calling your brother a commie- no one in HS now was even alive when the USSR existed- do they even know what communism is?

I'm so glad I was in school when I was, and not now. Between the idiot teachers, school boards, and asshole students like your brother's I might be forced to pull a Columbine.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Y

3. Myth: Thomas Edison got his start in science because he came from a wealthy, educated family.

Truth: If the 15-year old Edison hadn’t saved a boy from a runaway train, his life could have turned out pretty differently.

To understand why Thomas Edison is such a nerd hero, all you have to do is skim his patents. The man invented the lightbulb, the phonograph, electric railroads, underwater search lights, a trick for camouflaging navy ships, and over a thousand other important things. But none of that would have happened, if Thomas Edison hadn’t saved a child’s life first.
    Edison invented the first lightbulb but Lewis Latimer invented the one that was used. He also completed the drawing for the patent for the telephone. An African American, Latimer worked for Alexander Graham Bell, not as a servant but as a paid assistant.

http://www.blackinventor.com/pages/lewislatimer.html
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

^ so he helped Bell steal the telephone patent from Meucci?

^ so he helped Bell steal the telephone patent from Meucci?
    Is that what you read on the link? Or will you provide a link to Meucci?
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

I didn't know about the Alamo as well as a few others.

^ Meucci Vs Bell in regard to the telephone is a long standing historical debate. One of the most litigated cases in US history.

The US now acknowledges that Meucci invented it, the Canadian government says otherwise.

Bell did not invent telephone, US rules | World news | The Guardian

Canadian Parliamentary Motion on Alexander Graham Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Antonio Meucci Vs Alexander Graham Bell

Telephone: Meucci and Bell

Elite Member

I have to ask where this is. And wtf with calling your brother a commie- no one in HS now was even alive when the USSR existed- do they even know what communism is?

I'm so glad I was in school when I was, and not now. Between the idiot teachers, school boards, and asshole students like your brother's I might be forced to pull a Columbine.
    The South. The accusation of being a commie still resonates with a lot of people around here. No, the kids have no idea what communism is, but it's still used as a label (they can't quite decide around here if Obama is a commie or a Muslim.) I wasn't surprised to see Red Dawn as one of the most frequently rented DVDs from Netflix in a zip code close by.

He teaches in public school with an advanced curriculum. He's had good kids and bad kids and kids who threatened him who were expelled.

I can't say my educational experience was any better, though.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I knew about every one of those except possibly the 13 colony thing. None of that was eye-opening, truthfully.

Elite Member

The only real difference was FDRís willingness to distribute relief aid directly to ordinary Americans, which alleviated suffering but did little to end the downturn
    Bull. Absolute bull.

In FDR's first four years, GDP grew at a very high rate (nearly 10% a year) and unemployment went down by a full ten percentage points (25% to 14%).
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

How can Columbus discover anything that was already there? AND other people had been coming and going long before?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information