Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obama gets ripped a new one for doing NOTHING about the oil spill

Lightbulb Obama gets ripped a new one for doing NOTHING about the oil spill

Democratic strategist James Carville and MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews, two reliable supporters of President Barack Obama, have issued withering critiques of the administration's handling of the Gulf oil spill.

Carville, the famously outspoken Louisianian who was a chief political aide to Bill and Hillary Clinton, told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday that the administration's response to the spill has been "lackadaisical" and that Obama was "naive" to trust BP to manage the massive clean-up effort.

"I think they actually believe that BP has some kind of a good motivation here," he said. "They're naive! BP is trying to save money, save everything they can... They won't tell us anything, and oddly enough, the government seems to be going along with it! Somebody has got to, like shake them and say, 'These people don't wish you well! They're going to take you down!'"

Carville also accused the White House of going along with what he called the "let BP handle it" strategy.

"I'm as good a Democrat as most people, and I think this administration has done some good things. They are risking everything by this 'go along with BP' strategy they have that seems like, lackadaisical on this, and Doug is right, they seem like they're inconvenienced by this, this is some giant thing getting in their way and somehow or another, if you let BP handle it, it'll all go away. It's not going away. It's growing out there. It is a disaster of the first magnitude, and they've got to go to Plan B."

Likewise, Chris Matthews argued during a "Tonight Show" appearance that the President was to "acting a little like a Vatican Observer."

"The President scares me," he said. "When is he actually going to do something? And I worry; I know he doesn't want to take ownership of it. I know politics. He said the minute he says, 'I'm in charge,' he takes the blame, but somebody has to. It's in our interest."

The Obama administration has thus far avoided the political backlash that President George W. Bush faced in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, in part by comprehensively documenting its actions in the Gulf and staying on message ("Fully engaged since Day One...").

But crude oil has now been erupting into the Gulf of Mexico for over a month, and the sense that the Obama administration is treating the spill as an urgent national emergency has diminished even as the impact of the disaster has magnified. Not until yesterday, critics note, a full 30 days after the oil rig explosion, did federal officials establish a technical team to measure the full extent of the spill.

Until now, the vast bulk of clean-up responsibilities have been left to BP, which isn't much closer to capping the oil leak now than it was weeks ago. The oil has already affected nearly 50 miles of sensitive marshlands on the Louisiana coastline, according to estimates by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, and federal authorities have increased the no-fishing zone to 45,728 square miles in the Gulf of Mexico.

BP has consistently downplayed the severity of the spill despite growing evidence that suggests otherwise, and their strategy to clean up the spill has involved the use of a toxic chemical dispersant that EPA officials warn may cause lasting damage to coastal ecosystems.

The EPA has now given BP 24 hours to begin using a less toxic dispersant, but Carville says the government's primary failure was trusting BP to handle the clean-up in the first place.

"Right now I wouldn't trust BP to do anything," he said. "And nobody does."

James Carville Takes On Obama On Oil Spill: He's 'Risking Everything' With 'Go Along With BP Strategy'
    I'm sorry, does this retard do ANYTHING? Jesus christ, this thing could become a serious global disaster and President Absent is sitting on his hands and, like usual, letting everybody else do the work.

Oil Spill - Let BP fix it.

Financial Crisis - Let the former Goldman cronies fix it.

Iraq & Afghanistan - Let Gates fix it.

Pakistan - let Blackwater fix it.

Healthcare - let pro-industry special interests fix it behind closed doors.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He has truly done nothing about this at all.

Nothing.

As long as Halliburton has seats in the US congress, the oil companies will continue to do whatever they damn well please.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Beyond over him and his smooth talking
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Playing devil's advocate here...what should the government be doing? I don't know very much about the energy industry and this is an appalling global disaster, I just don't know what the government can be doing. Looking for some education here, not being a POTUS fantard.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

There has to be way to make sure safty measures are in place, just like in the coalmines. There has to be something in place BEFORE these things occur or operations should be suspended until they comply
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I agree, but that's those dastardly regulations that Congress won't pass and more bureaucracy to enforce them...bigger government, more spending, talking points talking points talking points. I will be happy when this puts BP out of business because their safety controls are apalling. The market DOESN'T take care of safety concerns, the market doesn't produce responsible businesses. The market produces companies like Wal-mart that treat their employees like crap, stomp on any competition and continues to get bigger and make more money because people are not willing to spend .40 more on toilet paper to support a locally owned business. The market produces companies like BP who gamble on safety and the environment so they can artificually raise gas prices all so they can announce record profits and pay dividends.

/mini-manifesto.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I am pissed off and embarrassed that I actually supported the move for more offshore drilling in that other thread...and then this happens.

It is a fucking disgrace and they should throw the book at BP and make the top company executives(and shareholders) go down to Mississippi and Louisiana and clean those marshes and beaches by hand!

The government should make BP FIND a solution, and make them pay for every cent of clean up, and if they do not pay up, confiscate every single bit of BP assets they can get their hands on and seize every single acre of property on US soil that BP owns.

To not have any real plan for this kind of disaster is criminal negligence by BP, and not having the proper oversight to make sure that the oil companies can handle stuff like this is a disgrace to the US government and a major failure of the government to do it's major job and main priority-to protect the people and the land of the United States.

and Obama needs to fucking come down hard on them.

(my mini-rant over)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I agree, but that's those dastardly regulations that Congress won't pass and more bureaucracy to enforce them...bigger government, more spending, talking points talking points talking points. I will be happy when this puts BP out of business because their safety controls are apalling. The market DOESN'T take care of safety concerns, the market doesn't produce responsible businesses. The market produces companies like Wal-mart that treat their employees like crap, stomp on any competition and continues to get bigger and make more money because people are not willing to spend .40 more on toilet paper to support a locally owned business. The market produces companies like BP who gamble on safety and the environment so they can artificually raise gas prices all so they can announce record profits and pay dividends.

/mini-manifesto.
    Thank you!
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

A*O

If we could put a man on the moon 40 YEARS ago then surely some brainiac can come up with a way to plug a broken oil pipe?

Obama is very good at talking the talk but the inertia on this and practically every other issue he's "tackled" is alarming. Is he just a natural ditherer? Hope not because one day he might have to make a snap decision that could have catastrophic consequences if he doesn't get it right.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I'm surprised that they didn't try to clean it up with kitty litter.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If we could put a man on the moon 40 YEARS ago then surely some brainiac can come up with a way to plug a broken oil pipe?
    There are plenty of good ideas, but BP isn't listening.

Also there was a rig collapse in Europe recently I believe, and the fail-safes WORKED and there's no oil rig.

A guy watching Spillcam noted today that the area around the pipe just collapsed and even more is leaking (don't know if this is true though).

Honestly I think the government should just take control of the clean-up and disaster management and just send BP the bill. They've been cutting corners, and seeing how they can make profits or beneficial agreements with other companies they have interests in.

I still do not understand why Obama cannot just have the whole area declared a natural disaster area and have things tended to from there.

According to the Oil Pollution Act of 1990, BP is going to be liable for a heck of a lot as near as I can quite humbly infer...

Oil Pollution Act Overview | Emergency Management | US EPA

§1002(a) Provides that the responsible party for a vessel or facility from which oil is discharged, or which poses a substantial threat of a discharge, is liable for: (1) certain specified damages resulting from the discharged oil; and (2) removal costs incurred in a manner consistent with the National Contingency Plan (NCP).
    This whole thing has been hard for me to figure out. It is far out to think that this spill is still just going and going and going.

On the local late night news of my town yesterday, the broadcaster said that BP might have things tended to by "...before Tuesday..." and the chick rolled her eyes after saying it!

I still blame Bush. That fucker. LOL.

They should drop all the BP CEO's and other fuckheads right into the oil, see how THEY like it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information