Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul defends criticism of Civil Rights act. But isn't racist. Really.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Rand Paul defends criticism of Civil Rights act. But isn't racist. Really.

Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul believes that the federal government blurred the lines between public and private property when it passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and made it illegal for private businesses to discriminate on the basis of race.

Paul explained his views on "The Rachel Maddow Show" Wednesday, just one day after wholloping his opponent in Kentucky's Republican primary.

Maddow focused on the Tea Party-backed candidate's civil rights stance after he publicly criticized parts of the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Paul told Maddow that he agrees with most parts of the Civil Rights Act, except for one (Title II), that made it a crime for private businesses to discriminate against customers on the basis of race. Paul explained that had he been in office during debate of bill, he would have tried to change the legislation. He said that it stifled first amendment rights:
    Maddow: Do you think that a private business has a right to say that 'We don't serve black people?'
    Paul: I'm not in favor of any discrimination of any form. I would never belong to any club that excluded anybody for race. We still do have private clubs in America that can discriminate based on race. Butdo discriminate.

But I think what's important in this debate is not getting into any specific "gotcha" on this, but asking the question 'What about freedom of speech?' Should we limit speech from people we find abhorrent. Should we limit racists from speaking. I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that's one of the things that freedom requires is that
    we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn't mean we approve of it...

Paul argued that Maddow's questions weren't practical, but were instead abstract. She asked Paul to tell that to protesters who were beaten in their struggle for equal rights:
    Maddow:... Howabout desegregating lunch counters?
    Paul: Well what it gets into then is if you decide that restaurants are publicly owned and not privately owned, then do you say that you should have the right to bring your gun into a restaurant even though the owner of the restaurant says 'well no, we don't want to have guns in here' the bar says 'we don't want to have guns in here because people might drink and start fighting and shoot each-other.' Does the owner of the restaurant own his restaurant? Or does the government own his restaurant? These are important philosophical debates but not a very practical discussion...
    Story continues below

Maddow: Well, it was pretty practical to the people who had the life nearly beaten out of them trying to desegregate Walgreen's lunch counters despite these esoteric debates about what it means about ownership. This is not a hypothetical Dr. Paul.

Paul will face Democratic Senate candidate and Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway in the general election to replace Republican Sen. Jim Bunning on November 2, 2010.Rand Paul On 'Maddow' Defends Criticism Of Civil Rights Act, Says He Would Have Worked To Change Bill (VIDEO)

I really don't even know what to say anymore. Basically he's saying that a private business owner could conceivably refuse to serve President Obama, solely due to his skin colour. Well done Kentucky! You must be so proud!

You can hear the filthy words here, at about 5.20 in.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3O2rBz9gwo[/YOUTUBE]

This guy is so full of shit that he doesn't believe in racism. He's just couching it in terms that make it sound slightly less scary.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

What an asshole.

He should do well in Kentucky, though. It's full of racists and has one of the highest rates of mental illness in the U.S.

I really want to believe this bigoted assclown doesn't stand a chance. But at the same time....
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

He doesn't believe in discimination of any form, but he thinks it was wrong to make it illegal for private businesses to discriminate. Yeah, okay. That's a contradiction right there, but why am I not surprised. Just more proof of what the Tea Party is really all about.

The gun analogy is particularly stupid. Comparing an inanimate object to human beings? Nice. Here's a thought: you can choose whether or not to carry a gun. You can't choose your ethnicity. This is sounding an awful lot like people will be wearing stars soon.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Based on comments his dad has made about all black men being criminals, clearly the froot loop hasn't fallen too far from the box.

But he's not racist! He says so!

--Sinclair Lewis

A lot of libertarianism is sticking up for people’s rights to be obnoxious, rude, ignorant, even discriminatory, as long as it doesn’t cause physical harm to someone else.

Some people are uncomfortable with that but that’s where the rubber meets the road in terms of supporting individual rights.

It's easy to stand up for someone’s right to walk around with a sign that says “I like nice people and fun things.” It’s much trickier to defend someone with a sign that says “I hate _____" but that’s what you have to do if you want to be consistent about individual rights.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

They can stick up for all the individual rights they want but this is still bullshit and racist. If they want to go for individual rights then they should start backing pedos and the like since it's their individual right to want to fuck kids.

--Sinclair Lewis

Fucking kids and being a racist are not equal. One is a thought process- even if it's wrong, and one is an action.

Wanting to fuck kids isn't a crime either- sick, but not a crime. It's only acting on it that is criminal.

Should we limit speech from people we find abhorrent. Should we limit racists from speaking. I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that's one of the things that freedom requires is that
    we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn't mean we approve of it...
    I completely agree with this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Actually, barring a person due to their colour or religion is an act and that's what he's supporting. He can couch it in all the nicey-nice terms he wants, he's still a straight-up racist who is trying to turn back the clock. People can be as racist as they want--no one can stop their words or thoughts--but when that infringes on the freedom of others then it's a problem.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    People can be as racist as they want--no one can stop their words or thoughts--but when that infringes on the freedom of others then it's a problem.
    Of course. But if it doesn't, no matter how repellent we find it, they aren't committing a crime.

Agree. But still think this mofo is one racist asshole.

--Sinclair Lewis

But his wife makes a great fish stick.

Is she ginger?

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information