Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female genital mutilation. Now American Academy of Pediatrics approved.

Default Female genital mutilation. Now American Academy of Pediatrics approved.

Genital Cutting Advocated By American Academy Of Pediatrics

After years of condemning the practice, the American Academy of Pediatrics has rewritten their policy on female genital mutilation, advocating for state laws to allow doctors to give a "ritual nick" to girls' genitalia.
    The policy statement, titled Ritual Genital Cutting of Female Minors, was issued on April 26, 2010 (ironically, this was also the same date that congress passed new laws making it illegal to take a girl outside U.S. borders for the purpose of FGM). In their release, the AAP suggested that doctors be allowed to cut or prick girl's clitorises. The 2010 statement has also revised the way the AAP refers to FGM; in 1998, they called it "female genital mutilation," but now they are terming it "female genital cutting (FGC) or ritual genital cutting." This, apparently, is the politically correct way of describing the forced removal of a woman's sexual organs:
    "Mutilation" is an inflammatory term that tends to foreclose communication and that fails to respect the experience of the many women who have had their genitals altered and who do not perceive themselves as "mutilated." It is paradoxical to recommend "culturally sensitive counseling" while using culturally insensitive language. "Female genital cutting" is a neutral, descriptive term.
    Equality Now points out that "neutral and descriptive" is not what we need. We need terms that convey the pain and violence of the procedure, that accurately reflect the prejudices and misogyny behind the practice. A statement from the human rights organization perfectly encapsulates all that is wrong with the APP's revised policy:
    FGM is a form of gender-based violence and discrimination that is performed on girls to control their sexuality in womanhood, guarantee their acceptance into a particular community, and safeguard their virginity until marriage. Taina Bien-Aime, Equality Now's Executive Director explains, "Encouraging pediatricians to perform FGM under the notion of 'cultural sensitivity' shows a shocking lack of understanding of a girl's fundamental right to bodily integrity and equality. The AAP should promote awareness-raising within FGM-practicing immigrant communities about the harms of the practice, instead of endorsing an internationally recognized human rights violation against girls and women."
    Also weighing in on the controversial topic is Andrew Sullivan, who fully supports Equality Now's position. However, he adds something new to the debate: the issue of male genital mutilation (MGM). Although he admits FGM is "far, far worse," he mentions his displeasure in the fact that many activists who condemn FGM do not display the same concern over MGM. He writes,
    MGM is an indefensible denial of core human integrity and autonomy - and yet its widespread acceptance has helped make "female genital cutting" more acceptable. If men or women wish to mutilate their own genitals as adults, that it their choice. But forcing this onto infants, male and female, even if it is just a cut or a nick, is a form of barbarism.
    Sullivan makes an interesting argument - especially considering the nature of the AAP's statement. They do not advocate the complete removal of the clitoris, but rather a "ritual nick," language that could also be used to describe male circumcision. Perhaps it is time we stopped bowing to tradition and quit messing with the genitalia of our children - maybe we should, as Sullivan suggests, let people decide for themselves what they want their sex organs to look like.
    Genital Cutting Advocated By American Academy Of Pediatrics - Doctors genital mutilation - Jezebel
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Omfgjfcwtf
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Isn't it Indonesia that has this practice? How the hell did it make its way all the way over there?

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Dude, google is your friend.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I am beyond angry and disgusted at this point. When people compare male circumcision to FGM I just lose my shit. It's fine to oppose male circ. on its own principles, but FGM is done for completely different political and social reasons and has a dramatically different set of consequences for the girls forced to endure it. Not to mention that it's done on fully awake girls about 8 yrs of age or so and mostly under very unsanitary conditions.

Jesus. I swear it feels like we are moving backwards more every day. That's what happens when we let 'feminism' get a bad label and when women start believing that everything is hunkydory now and there is no need for feminism anymore.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Dude, google is your friend.
    I'm talking about the "nicking"/cutting, where they don't actually remove the genitalia. Not the kind of FGM practiced in parts of Africa and the Middle East.

ugh. retarded. and yes, i know 'pricking' isn't the same as the other, more invasive forms of FGM but it's still completely useless and wrong.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

"Mutilation" is an inflammatory term that tends to foreclose communication and that fails to respect the experience of the many women who have had their genitals altered and who do not perceive themselves as "mutilated.
    Mutilation is what it is. Call it by it's true name you fucking politically correct pandering cowards.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Jesus christ are they fucking kidding me?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Ladies, is it just me, or does it seem recently our gender is being reverted back to the stone ages?

I am starting to feel threatened by recent events. Our rights as women are being eroded everyday, politically and socially, even in the USA. Is this the legacy we leave our daughters?

Does religion have this much effect on everyone? Or are men feeling threatened?

At times I am glad I am older, cause things are not looking good for our younger women.

I think there is a certain segment of the population that is very much trying to turn back the clock. I don't know how large that segment is but they're loud and pushy and will do anything to get what they want. And a lot of politicians are pandering to them, so that our rights are being chipped away, little by little. It all reminds me of Handmaid's Tale. I swear it's going to get worse before it gets better, mainly because people seem kind of apathetic about what's happening. I too am glad I'm a bit older. This shit would drive me mad as a young woman.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I am not believing this. Flatly not.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This is fucking disgusting. I have no other words for it.

I think I'm going to write a letter to them. I think we all should.

--Sinclair Lewis

This makes me sick. Soon,women will be being dragged around by their hair again we are reverting so far backward. This shit has got to stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information