Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Lieberman: strip terrorist suspects of citizenship

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Joe Lieberman: strip terrorist suspects of citizenship

In arguing against the reading of Miranda rights to terrorism suspects or affording them other constitutional protections, opponents of civil liberties run up against a powerful argument when dealing with American citizens.

Joe Lieberman has a creative solution: Take away their citizenship. "If you've joined an enemy of the United States in attacking the United States and trying to kill Americans, I think you should sacrifice your rights of citizenship," Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, told reporters Tuesday.

Lieberman argued that if an act of terrorism was coordinated with a group designated as a terrorist organization, then an American involved with such a group would lose citizenship and the constitutional protections that come with it. "It just seems to me if you're attacking your fellow Americans in an act of war, you lose the rights that come with citizenship," he said.

Lieberman said that the revocation of citizenship would not be automatic and there would be a right to go to court and to appeal the decision.

Since the arrest of Faisal Shahzad, a suspect in the attempted Times Square bombing, some Republicans have been arguing that, despite his status as a citizen, he should not be read Miranda rights.Faisal Shahzad Arrest: Lieberman Proposes Taking Away Citizenship Of Suspected Terrorists
    This might work on naturalized citizens but what about those who got it at birth? Are they going to end up the men/women with no country, forever sailing on a ship at sea? And since he's saying do this to suspects does that mean they lose the presumption of innocence? Because last time I checked you're innocent until proven guilty in the States. This makes no sense at all.

I really hate Lieberman. I wonder what sort of brain disease he has that made him turn out to be such a turd.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

If you are a citizen and take up arms against the US, or offer aid & comfort to it's enemies, you can be charged with treason, which is punishible by death or life in prison if you are convicted.

The stripping of your citizenship would be the least of your worries.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^Good point. I think Old Joe just wants to get some attention. And I'm guessing he wasn't thinking about the Oklahoma bomber when he spewed this shit.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

This stripping them of citizenship is just a smokescreen to do away with reading terrorists Miranda rights. Lieberman and the GOP act as if reading Miranda Rights to terrorists, who are being arrested in connection to a crime, is the worst thing in the world.

Somehow, I doubt this stripping people of citizenship would apply to the right-wing domestic terrorists, though.

We stripped McVeigh of his citizenship by executing him. That worked pretty well.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

But he died an American citizen and is buried on American soil.

--Sinclair Lewis

^ No he didn't die an American citizen. I was being a wiseass above, but McVeigh actually renounced his citizenship in 1993 long before he blew up the Murrah building.

Anyway, if you're dead, you're a citizen of nowhere.

Did he renounce? So how did he manage to stay in the States if he wasn't a citizen? I assume he wasn't a citizen of any other country. Must read up on this.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    But he died an American citizen and is buried on American soil.
    Exactly. McVeigh wasn't stripped of his U.S. citizenship & he was read his Miranda Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Did he renounce? So how did he manage to stay in the States if he wasn't a citizen? I assume he wasn't a citizen of any other country. Must read up on this.
    BTW he's not buried on American soil. Congress passed special legislation to bar McVeigh from being buried in any military cemetery, and he was cremated.

Lots of citizens have renounced, you don't have to leave America for good. Lots of the militia crazies have renounced.

The Straight Dope: How do I go about renouncing my U.S. citizenship?

W.E.B. Du Bois, Maria Callas, Bobby Fisher, Barbara Hutton, Shere Hite, T.S. Elliot, just to name a few that renounced US citizenship.

Anyway, Lieberman is an idiot. You can't do anything to suspected terrorists - except lock them up in Guantanamo Bay.

So if they renounce how do they stay in the states? Wouldn't that make them illegals?

--Sinclair Lewis

^ You can become a stateless person, and still live here. It's pretty complicated for them, as they lose governmental protection and you can't leave the US because you couldn't get back in. Of course, to the militia crazies that wouldn't matter. The really nuts ones live off the grid on those compounds.

For others, they become citizens of other countries, and then they are limited by how many days they can spend in the US per year. Wealthy people sometimes do it for tax purposes (sort of like the British tax exiles of the 70's)

I don't know which pisses me off more, Lieberman suggesting SUSPECTS be stripped of citizenship or the dumbass teabagging mob who think it's a great idea.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Exactly. McVeigh wasn't stripped of his U.S. citizenship & he was read his Miranda Rights.
    McVeigh was white. That's the difference.

Lieberman remains a self-righteous thug.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Suspects are read Miranda rights specifically because they are suspected rather than convicted. This idiot is a disgrace to America, he'd literally destroy an American citizen on unproven allegations. If America doesn't have justice, it is isn't America anymore -- Lieberman's the one acting treasonous if you ask me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information