Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama kills at White House Correspondent's Dinner

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Obama kills at White House Correspondent's Dinner

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama shared some words of wisdom on Saturday, saying there a few things in life harder to find and more important to keep than love.

"Well, love and a birth certificate," Obama quipped at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, poking fun at those who question his place of birth. "I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth." Obama was born in Hawaii, but birthers question whether he was born overseas.

Obama also jabbed Jay Leno, the comedian headlining the dinner. Obama dinged Leno as "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine."

He said he was glad he spoke before the "The Tonight Show" host, "because we have all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno." Comic Conan O'Brien left NBC after his stint hosting "The Tonight Show" following Leno didn't work out.

He took aim at his own administration too, cracking jokes about Vice President Joe Biden and his chief of staff Rahm Emanuel.

Republicans were also the victims of many Obama punch lines. The president noted Sen. John McCain's claim this year that he was not identified as a maverick. "We know what happens in Arizona when you don't have an ID. ... Adios amigos," Obama quipped, referring to a new law in Arizona that targets illegal immigration.

He wasn't hesitant to mention the attention-hungry couple who crashed his state dinner last fall. "Odds are that the Salahis are here. There haven't been people that were more unwelcome at a party since Charlie Crist," he said about the Florida governor who decided to defect from the Republican party.

Story continues below

Although his poll numbers are down, Obama said he hears he's popular on Twitter and Facebook. "Or as Sarah Palin call it, socialized media," he said.

WATCH Obama's speech:

Leno picked up on the Palin joke to take a dig at Obama, saying the president isn't as aloof as some critics say he is. "He loves to socialize – health care, car companies," Leno said, naming a few industries in which the Obama administration has intervened.
    Obama also acknowledged the problems facing the Gulf coast after the disastrous BP oil spill. He plans to go to the Gulf Coast Sunday for a firsthand assessment on efforts to contain the massive oil spill from an offshore drilling rig.

Among the 3,000 guests on hand included Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn, comedian Chevy Chase, actor Alec Baldwin, comedian Bill Maher, actress Michelle Pfeiffer, actor Dennis Quaid, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, GOP Chairman Michael Steele, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, White House senior adviser David Axelrod, the Jonas brothers and another teen heartthrob, pop star Justin Bieber.

Hollywood heavyweights Michel Douglas, Steven Spielberg were seen chatting with Emmanuel.

At the dinner, the White House Correspondents' Association introduced students who received college scholarships.

Honored at the dinner were several journalists:

_Ben Feller of The Associated Press and Jake Tapper of ABC News, for winning the Merriman Smith Award for presidential coverage under deadline pressure. Feller won for his coverage of Obama's unexpected late-night visit to Dover Air Force Base to honor fallen soldiers. Tapper won for his story that revealed tax problems of former Sen. Tom Daschle, D-S.D.

_Mark Knoller, of CBS News, for winning the Aldo Beckman award for sustained excellence in White House coverage. Knoller won for his work covering the White House for more than 35 years and in using multiple platforms to report.

_Suzanne Bohan and Sandy Kleffman, of the Contra Costa (Calif.) Times, for winning the Edgar A. Poe Award for excellence in coverage of news of national or regional significance. They were cited for a four-part series entitled, "Shortened Lives: Where You Live Matters."

The White House Correspondents' Association was formed in 1914 as a liaison between the press and the president. Every president since Calvin Coolidge has attended the dinner.
    The whole thing is at the link. I can't seem to find it on youtube. He was hilarious.

Obama Kills At White House Correspondents Dinner
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

He said he was glad he spoke before the "The Tonight Show" host, "because we have all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno."
    The president noted Sen. John McCain's claim this year that he was not identified as a maverick. "We know what happens in Arizona when you don't have an ID. ... Adios amigos,"
    "Odds are that the Salahis are here. There haven't been people that were more unwelcome at a party since Charlie Crist,"
    Now those were some good zingers.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It's worth watching. He was in fine form.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

he was funnier than Leno was.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Better put a full name in the title Butt- given what happened with you and the mods(who I so dearly love and respect (end/suckup) in the High School Forum... I see an infraction coming!!!

*'Obama" and 'Kill" next to another might not be the best 'wording' in a sentence either..maybe why so many 'guests' showing up?..tinfoil hat on. *
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

I wonder who writes his jokes? I liked the one about Sarah Palin and socialized media.

If he doesn't get re-elected - I see a future in stand-up comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    he was funnier than Leno was.
    Leno was lame.

I laughed my ass off last night. It was great and both of the Obamas looked like they had great fun. And - no Salahis.... that I could detect. Still wondering though how goddamn Kim Kardashian wangled an invite to this thing.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^She blew Joe Biden

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hope this thing posts

[youtube]aYsGwLWqWI4[/youtube]
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Good writers
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

it was funny. he's no bill clinton when it comes to smoothness of delivery but he was good.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Jay Leno, on the other hand, is getting eviscerated. And rightly so!

Jay Leno BOMBS At White House Correspondents Dinner

If you like your jokes covered in bland gravy with a side of telegraphed punchlines, then Jay Leno's White House Correspondents Dinner was a feast for the funny bone. But if "mother-in-law jokes" aren't your thing, then Leno's performance may have left you wondering why the meal stopped after the appetizers.

Following Obama's impressively killer set, Leno seemed fidgety, over-reliant on his note-cards, and rushed, as he doled out 20 minutes of tame one-liners. All could've been forgiven if the material was strong. And it's not that they were groaners, but the majority of jokes felt uninspired and expected:

"Michelle Obama has made child obesity one of her causes...She has started a more intense program. It's called 'Leave No Child With A Bigger Behind.'"

Oh Jay!

Debunking the thought that Obama was "cold" or "aloof," Leno joked that he'd never noticed that:

"He loves to socialize. Health care, car companies."

Nailed it!

Even Palin jokes, always a crowd pleaser, were met with a less than enthusiastic response. But that could've been because you could see the punchline coming from a mile away: "There's talk now that this oil slick could end up being bigger than that huge disaster they had up in Alaska." Here it comes..."Really? Bigger than Sarah Palin?"

Leno relied on cut-aways to "Tonight Show"-style bits ("Cash For Flunkers!" Heyo!) that seemed out of context without side-kick Kevin Eubanks lapping it up and the excited tourists in the front waiting to be high-fived.

All in all, the performance was standard Leno. Safe and inoffensive. And there's nothing wrong with that -- but it comes on the heels of Stephen Colbert and Wanda Sykes, comics who ruffled some feathers on their way to memorable speeches. Even Obama came out and took some risks with his material.

After a joke that was met with a mediocre response, Leno remarked that the crowd was "a tough room." Perhaps. But that may be because the bar has been raised so high that breaking out the arsenal of "McCain is old" jokes just won't cut it.
    Jay Leno BOMBS At White House Correspondents Dinner (VIDEO)

He said he was glad he spoke before the "The Tonight Show" host, "because we have all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno."
    Seriously who picked Leno? I bet 90% of the room was Team Conan anyway. Love that even the President called him out.

Yeah, The Prez stole the show.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information