Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma's new abortion laws: docs can withhold info, patients must watch ultrasound

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Oklahoma's new abortion laws: docs can withhold info, patients must watch ultrasound

Amazing that the party allegedly for less government intrusion in our lives finds no problem spearheading this kind of heinous legislation:

Oklahoma just passed the country's strictest law on pre-abortion ultrasounds, along with another law that basically allows doctors to lie to pregnant women.

According to James McKiley Jr. of the Times, the Oklahoma legislature voted today to overturn vetoes of both laws. The first, a similar form of which was struck down by Oklahoma courts last year, requires "a doctor or technician to set up the monitor where the woman can see it and describe the heart, limbs and organs of the fetus. No exceptions are made for rape and incest victims." This is already invasive — Dionne Scott of the Center for Reproductive Rights calls it "the most extreme ultrasound requirement in the country."

The second law, however, is even more disturbing. Basically, it protects doctors from being sued if they decide not to tell patients that their fetus has birth defects. Writes McKinley, "The intent of the bill is to prevent parents from later suing doctors who withhold information to try to influence them against having an abortion."

Just take a minute to digest that. In Oklahoma, it's now legal to keep health information from patients in order to make their reproductive decisions for them. Of course, the doctors who perform prenatal tests won't be raising the children born to the prospective parents they treat. And yet those doctors can have a say — through subterfuge — in whether those parents choose to give birth or not. Now that this has passed, it's tempting to wonder what information Oklahoma doctors will get to lie about next. Perhaps they could tell teen girls that condoms spread AIDS. Or maybe just convince women that they're not actually pregnant until it's too late for an abortion. The possibilities are endless!

All in the deluded notion that somehow they are saving innocent potential babies, they are forcing actual living, breathing American citizens to submit without choice an invasive procedure before she can exercise her legal right to determine what she wants to do with her body. And no exception for rape or incest. It's victimizing those women all over again.

The Center for Reproductive Rights promises a fight.

“It is extremely disappointing that the Oklahoma legislature insists on passing a law that is so clearly unconstitutional and so detrimental to women in the state,” said Stephanie Toti, staff attorney in the U.S. Legal Program of the Center for Reproductive Rights. “The state has already spent the last two years defending this abortion restriction and several others—without success. Another round in the courts won’t change our strong constitutional claims against the law, it will only waste more of Oklahoma taxpayers’ time and money.”

The Center argues that the ultrasound requirement profoundly intrudes upon a patient’s privacy and is the most extreme ultrasound law in the country. The law forces a woman to hear information that she may not want to hear and that may not be relevant to her medical care. It also dangerously discounts her abilities to make healthy decisions about her own life by forcing her to hear information when she's objected. In addition, the statute interferes with the doctor-patient relationship—potentially damaging it—by compelling doctors to deliver unwanted speech.

If you are as outraged by this as I am, you can donate to CRR to help them fight.Crooks and Liars
    Are they serious? Withholding medical information? Making the prospective mother watch an ultrasound? No exceptions for rape and incest victims? Are they insane?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Essentially.... "Women are stupid, incapable of making decisions about their own lives and we know what's best for them."
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Insane

They don't mind the intrusion when they're the ones in charge.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

This is absolutely awful. Also, I'm almost positive that yesterday I read something that said Florida is now trying to do the same thing. I just can't believe they can make something like this legal.

So much for not doing medically unnecessary tests so as not to drive up health care costs.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

How is this not legalizing malpractice to say docotrs cannot be sued for misrepresenting health info and deceiivng patients about care?
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next, they'll make it legal for doctors to hide ectopic pregnancies from patients.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    So much for not doing medically unnecessary tests so as not to drive up health care costs.
    Everyone has an ultrasound before abortion is performed. I remember the girl at planned parenthood asked (I guess they have to? IDK) "Do you want me to tell you if you are carrying multiples?" I said "No" They also have the screen turned away from the patient. I would hope that anyone who has made the appointment for an abortion has already made up their mind and would not be swayed by fuzzy images; it would be worse I guess if they were forcing a woman to look at level 3 & 4 ultrasounds.

It is ridiculous that a doctor would be able to get away with not telling a patient of any problems seen in an ultrasound, that is just so fucked... and it was totally an episode of law & order.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Well if Obama does it, it can't be wrong.

*drools*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well if Obama does it, it can't be wrong.

*drools*
    wut?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

The part about withholding medical info is even more heinous and mind-boggling than the we-are-gonna-make-you-look-at-the-fetus part. How can anyone ethical deliberately hide the fact that a fetus is damaged and will be born disabled? That is beyond despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    wut?
    lobotomy
    'tis the only explanation.

or possibly sarcasm
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Remind me to never, under any circumstance, go to Oklahoma. After that Sally Kern bullshit over a year ago, I think it's safe to say that that state is all but lost.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Essentially.... "Women are stupid, incapable of making decisions about their own lives and we know what's best for them."
    Pretty much. Women need everyone else to look out for them; otherwise, they might make a mistake that they'll regret later! We can't allow them to live their own lives for better or worse, now could we??
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information