Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 85% of US troops in Iraq think they're there to pay back Saddam for 9/11

Thumbs down 85% of US troops in Iraq think they're there to pay back Saddam for 9/11

It must be nice to be programmed like a robot and told what to think. How liberating.

SALON.com - Sports Illustrated has a weekly feature in which it identifies a "Sign that the Apocalypse is Upon Us." We can't have one of those here in War Room -- it would be stealing, and we'd never be able to limit ourselves to just one sign a week, anyway.

Take this week. Please.

We thought surely we saw the sign of the fiery end when we checked out the results of a poll of U.S. troops serving in Iraq: Eighty-five percent of them, apparently, believe that a major reason for the U.S. mission there is "to retaliate for Saddam's role in the 9/11 attacks."

But when it comes to predictors of our untimely demise, the poll of U.S. troops just might have to take a back seat to a new poll of the good folks back home. The McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum conducted a random poll of 1,000 American adults to test their knowledge of the First Amendment. The thingy at the beginning of the Bill of Rights? The one that talks about free speech and stuff? The good news is, 69 percent of the respondents knew that much.

What else does the First Amendment protect?

Unprompted, 24 percent of the respondents managed to say freedom of religion. Eleven percent said freedom of the press -- the same percentage that claimed, incorrectly, that the First Amendment protects the right to bear arms. Ten percent got freedom of assembly, and a whopping 1 percent managed to remember the right to petition the government for redress of grievances.

Truth be told, that one always gets us, too.

But it's not like Americans are ignorami or anything: While only 28 percent of those polled could name two or more rights protected by the First Amendment, 41 percent could name two out of three "American Idol" judges, and 52 percent could name two or more characters from "The Simpsons."

Aside from the end-of-the-world aspect of it all, we're not sure what it all means -- except that maybe Democrats who hope to win back the White House ought to spend a little less time on the separation of powers and the unitary executive and a little more on power ballads and fart jokes.

It's the doughnuts, stupid.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: 85% of US troops in Iraq think they're there to pay back Saddam for 9/11

they even forgot the "main reason" they were sent there: WMDs! but i would be confused if i were them, each day Bush changes the excuses of the invasion of Iraq.

Default Re: 85% of US troops in Iraq think they're there to pay back Saddam for 9/11

True, but you'd think they'd read some news once in awhile.. sheesh

Well ok, anything but FOX news.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

really? i dont think any news channel could explain why Bush invaded Iraq?

They're not putting their lives on the line for their country, theyre putting it on the line for corporate greed. I've never read a more lazy, or stock phrase than "they're putting their lives on the line for their country". He can do better than that, surely. Did he read it off an enlistment pamphlet?

Even your husband, the former marine, isn't that dense. How are any of them putting their lives on the line for their country, when their country wasn't BEING THREATENED AT ALL?

Answer that, or get your jarhead husband to.

I doubt you will though, he's probably one of the 85% that thinks Saddam caused 9/11 with you smiling like a stepford wife right alongside.

But really, it's multiple choice.. are they putting their lives on the line for their country because...

1)Saddam had WMD's, even armed with plutonium from Niger and launched with aluminum tubes which turned out to be first a lie, then a fabrication?

2) Cuz Saddam was a madman, even though the US funded and armed him during his madness until he stopped obeying the administration, and then all of a sudden turned into the enemy when he tried to annex Kuwait, to control oil prices?

2) A altruistic, humanitarian mission in which a hundred thousand civilians have been killed, the land poisoned, in an age where nobody spends 500 billion on a nice gesture?

He can pick any of those, since those were the reasons given by Bush and his cabal of neocon fuckwits, or he can choose "none of the above" and opt for the more intelligent and true answer of "Oh shit, Bush IS there for something other than the reasons he's stated that have turned out to be complete lies."

Of course, ff he picks any of the reasons above then he's just as stupid as the 85% of the grunts on the ground who bought the bullshit spoonfed to them by Bush and his idiotic "mission accomplished" retard landing on an aircraft carrier nonsense.

There is just too much going on with the Bushes and Sadam.

Ol Rumsfeld and Saddam were totally business fucking.. they were so thick with money it's disgusting. Hell, there's even that pic of Ol Rummy shaking the hand of his ally, ol Saddam back in 1984.

Funny how that all of a sudden he's 'evil' when he threatened US oil interests. Anybody ever wonder why the Saudi's joined the US in the first gulf war? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. Bush and the house of Saud have many entangled oil interests that go back 50 years...

Soldiers don't go to war, rthinking they're doing it for corporate greed BECAUSE THEY'RE PROGRAMMED with all the jingoistic, rah rah im dying for my country stuff that all soldiers get pumped into their heads.

Yeah, they're dying out there. And for what?

CORPORATE GREED. OIL.

So because these soldiers apparently can't think for themselves or pick up a newspaper, and toe the party line of "We're dying for our freedoms!", I'm supposed to shut up and not say anything?

Get real. If the soldiers think they're there to get blown away for their county, then they aren't very bright to begin with or are programmed. Nobody in their right mind, short of those who have been fed total misinformation (like BushCo has been pumping out for 5 years, and verifiably FALSE unfo), would think they're dying for their country over there. It's especially galling when the government itself has been uncovering plots of corporate greed, information about how there was almost NO post-combat planning or strategies to deal with an insurgency, nor enough body armor to go around for the soldier who are "dying for their country".

Give me a break. People still defend this war, and its retarded instigator??

p.s. I note you didn't answer the multiple choice question. Nice avoidance, considering those are the reasons your Chimp in chief gave for invading Iraq. What's the matter, the situation on the ground not reinforcing your little neocon fantasy?

p.s.s. If your husband makes more money than I do, but it still a complete mental incompetent, what's the point? He can't even answer a multiple choice question! Neither can you, which especially hilarious when those are the only choices available, given by your Chimp in chief.

Okay let's not get personal here guys.

I know a guy whose an off-duty marine and he said that most of the guys he was stationed with did'nt have a clear reason as for why they were in IRaq. Some thought that Sadam was responsible for 9/11, some thought it was for WMDs, and others thought that it was for Iraqi independence. The problem here is that our own troops do not have clear reasons for being in Iraq since our so-called president keeps changing reasons for being there.

Also, he said that at his base, some of the marines would get their TV news from the American news netorks, meaning that they were getting biased news coverage. And lastly he also said that there were some war-hawk guys in his platoon that were ignorant. Remeber this guy was in IRaq to see all this.

I'm not saying that the troops are monsters or ignorant or anything. Despite my anti-war stance, I support our troops because there the ones that are being fighting the damn war and risking their lives. It's not their fault that they are working under a corrupt adminsitration with government leaders that could care-less about the lives. Just look at how the gov tried to hide those flag-draped caskets.

And in terms of politics, just like in the US, there are troops that are Democrats, Republicans, Independents, etc. I don't think their being brainwashed per say, I think they are being lied too and used.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    How dare you presume what my husband thinks and call me a Stepford wife. You have no idea what you're talking about. Soldiers don't go to war, my fat lazy armchair critic, thinking they are doing it for corporate greed. They are the bravest people in our country, putting their lives on the line for our country. They are dying out there, if you have noticed. Don't call them petty names, for the motives of the powers that be. It's stupid, disrespectful and disgusting.

P.S. If my husband is so dense, why does he make more money than you ever will? Yeah, I said it.

Plus, he does his own laundry and ironing, and fixes everything in the house, and has a rockin bod, thanks to his military training, which was over 20 years ago. I ain't no Stepford wife.

It sounds to me like you and Grimm are in agreement. He knows US soldiers, and MANY OTHERS WHO ARE JUST GETTING CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE who did not volunteer to fight anyone, are dying there. His point is that it is for all the wrong reasons.

I don't know your husband, and I have no doubt he is smart, but what does making a lot of money have to do with intelligence? This board wouldn't even be in existence if that were true of all the gazillionaire celebs we like to bash.

You are not a Stepford wife.

And don't forget all the paid-for good "news" about Iraq that the U.S. govt. is shovelling out in huge doses. Problem is, it doesn't jibe with the reality on the ground or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority

I know a guy whose an off-duty marine and he said that most of the guys he was stationed with did'nt have a clear reason as for why they were in IRaq. Some thought that Sadam was responsible for 9/11, some thought it was for WMDs, and others thought that it was for Iraqi independence. The problem here is that our own troops do not have clear reasons for being in Iraq since our so-called president keeps changing reasons for being there.

Also, he said that at his base, some of the marines would get their TV news from the American news netorks, meaning that they were getting biased news coverage. And lastly he also said that there were some war-hawk guys in his platoon that were ignorant. Remeber this guy was in IRaq to see all this.

I'm not saying that the troops are monsters or ignorant or anything. Despite my anti-war stance, I support our troops because there the ones that are being fighting the damn war and risking their lives. It's not their fault that they are working under a corrupt adminsitration with government leaders that could care-less about the lives. Just look at how the gov tried to hide those flag-draped caskets.

And in terms of politics, just like in the US, there are troops that are Democrats, Republicans, Independents, etc. I don't think their being brainwashed per say, I think they are being lied too and used.

They're there because of lies.

They continue to fight and die because of lies.

They are not dying for their country, their country was not threatened, nor was it attacked by Iraq.

They are dying for corporate greed.

The 85% need to really learn WHY they are out there.

The sad part is the 85% that think they're doing something for their country are doing so because Bush lied to them, fed them misinformation, or they're personally too stupid to find out the truth.

... Or like many a good neocon, they prefer the lies to reality despite the lies having been disproved over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority

I totally agree with you.

The fact is whether these troops are brainwashed, decieved, ignorants or whatever reason they are there, they are fighting the wrong war and have created revenge-seeking generation in Iraq and God knows how this mess will be fixed.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix
    Just so you know, Mushy, I wrote this because I dated a marine and one of my SO's good friends was a marine and both told me this...straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
    Hopefully I didn't offend you.
    don't they drown you in marine training, and then break your hand? or maybe that's navy seals

but i read how they do this thing where the superiors hurt you and then comfort you....so you develop this weird platonic bond with them.

remember 1984 when winston is being tortured by o'brien? he knows that o'brien is the one pulling the switch causing the pain but he's also the one that stops it.

A soldier has moral obligation to question the motives hehind each war, he is going there to kill and perhaps get killed, if he is ONLY risking his life then no problem because he brought that upon himself but what about killing innocent civilians? Yes in every war innocent dies but some wars are inevitable like in regions with ethnic cleansing or when a country get attacked so in this case its self-defense war.

I know in most cases this doesnt happen, but rather soldier will comply with his leader's orders without questioning. Hence when a person thinks of him as a robot -let alone killer, ignorant or evil depending on his acts- he should not get upset because his blind compliance led others to portray him that way.

Perhaps some of the soldiers are enjoying their jobs a little too much. It's a bit too easy to blame everything on someone else -- that's what the Nazis did. Remember, their mantra was that they were only following orders. At what point does personal accountability and morality kick in?

And no, I'm not comparing American soldiers to Nazis, but I am talking about a similar "follow orders blindly" mentality. I am aware that there is a chain of command, but torture -- which is widespread and condoned by those at the top of the U.S. military -- is dangerously close to methods used by despots.

No one was drafted into this war, so it isn't exactly the same as people being forced to go against their will. Although I am aware that many in the reserves have been sent to Iraq two to three times, which from a lot of reputable sources, isn't making most of them ecstatic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information