Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill

Default Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill

Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill - Yahoo! News

PHOENIX – Gov. Jan Brewer ignored criticism from President Barack Obama on Friday and signed into law a bill supporters said would take handcuffs off police in dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's busiest gateway for human and drug smuggling from Mexico.

With hundreds of protesters outside the state Capitol shouting that the bill would lead to civil rights abuses, Brewer said critics were "overreacting" and that she wouldn't tolerate racial profiling.

"We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act," Brewer said after signing the law. "But decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation."

Earlier Friday, Obama called the Arizona bill "misguided" and instructed the Justice Department to examine it to see if it's legal. He also said the federal government must enact immigration reform at the national level — or leave the door open to "irresponsibility by others."

"That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," Obama said.

The legislation, sent to the Republican governor by the GOP-led Legislature, makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It also requires local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants; allows lawsuits against government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws; and makes it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for day labor or knowingly transport them.

The law sends "a clear message that Arizona is unfriendly to undocumented aliens," said Peter Spiro, a Temple University law professor and author of the book "Beyond Citizenship: American Identity After Globalization."

Brewer signed the bill in a state auditorium about a mile from the Capitol complex where some 2,000 demonstrators booed county Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox when she announced that "the governor did not listen to our prayers."

"It's going to change our lives," said Emilio Almodovar, a 13-year-old American citizen from Phoenix. "We can't walk to school any more. We can't be in the streets anymore without the pigs thinking we're illegal immigrants."

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund said it plans a legal challenge to the law, arguing it "launches Arizona into a spiral of pervasive fear, community distrust, increased crime and costly litigation, with nationwide repercussions."

Mexico has warned the proposal could affect cross-border relations. On Thursday, Mexico's Senate unanimously passed a resolution urging Brewer to veto the law.

"Police in Arizona already treat migrants worse than animals," said Francisco Loureiro, an activist who runs a migrant shelter in the border town of Nogales, Mexico. "There is already a hunt for migrants, and now it will be open season under the cover of a law."

The bill will take effect in late July or early August, and Brewer ordered the state's law enforcement licensing agency to develop a training course on how to implement it without violating civil rights.

"We must enforce the law evenly, and without regard to skin color, accent, or social status," she said. "We must prove the alarmists and the cynics wrong."

Brewer, who faces a tough election battle and growing anger in the state over illegal immigrants, said the law "protects every Arizona citizen."

Anti-immigrant anger has swelled in the past month, after rancher Rob Krentz was found dead on his land north of Douglas, near the Mexico border. Authorities believe he was fatally shot by an illegal immigrant possibly connected to a drug smuggling cartel.

Arizona has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants, and its harsh, remote desert serves as the corridor for the majority of illegal immigrants and drugs moving north into the U.S. from Mexico.

U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva, a Democrat, said he closed his Arizona offices at noon Friday after his staff in Yuma and Tucson were flooded with calls this week, some from people threatening violent acts and shouting racial slurs. He called on businesses and groups looking for convention and meeting locations to boycott Arizona.

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."

Anti-immigrant anger has swelled in the past month, after rancher Rob Krentz was found dead on his land north of Douglas, near the Mexico border. Authorities believe he was fatally shot by an illegal immigrant possibly connected to a drug smuggling cartel.

Arizona has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants, and its harsh, remote desert serves as the corridor for the majority of illegal immigrants and drugs moving north into the U.S. from Mexico.

U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva, a Democrat, said he closed his Arizona offices at noon Friday after his staff in Yuma and Tucson were flooded with calls this week, some from people threatening violent acts and shouting racial slurs. He called on businesses and groups looking for convention and meeting locations to boycott Arizona.

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."

"It's going to change our lives," said Emilio Almodovar, a 13-year-old American citizen from Phoenix. "We can't walk to school any more. We can't be in the streets anymore without the pigs thinking we're illegal immigrants."
    Disrespectful little shit. Hope "the pigs" ARE up in his ass every day from now on.

Maybe he's disrespectful because they've earned it. So many WTF stories of police actions already come out of Arizona.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Gold Member

Good news for the residents of Arizona.

The open borders lunatics crying about the rights of illegal aliens need to STFU.

Ugh, isn't this common sense? It's already a crime to be an illegal alien, all this bill does is say that we're finally going to enforce it. I wish they would do this here in California, it would relieve so much financial burden. It seems like a "duh" moment for me, especially punishing employers who employ illegal aliens. My husband is forced to show his documentation in some cases, it's not that big of a deal and he doesn't cry "racial profiling." Put your big boy/girl panties on. I especially loved "the pigs" comment. In any other country, they would kick you out if you illegally crossed the border. When I lived in Egypt, unless people were applying for asylum from Sudan, it was against the law to be illegal and you were automatically deported, no questions asked. They took it seriously, they didn't want it to drain their economy even more. Here, it seems like we've coddled people who are committing an illegal act. I have no problem with immigration (I married a - legal - immigrant) but do it the right way. Also, when my husband came here legally, he was forced to receive a shitload of vaccinations so he didn't put anyone at risk with any diseases being passed over the border. It was almost laughable because people from Mexico stream across daily, and yet no one cares about their vaccination records, so it seems completely redundant. And I'm sick to death of people pulling the "racist" card. I'm against any illegal immigrants, period. It just seems like in California, the vast amount of illegal immigrants come from Mexico, that's why they're highlighted more than the others. It's easier to be illegal from Mexico, since all other countries have to go through extensive paperwork to be released into the U.S. by plane. It's just TOO easy, and no one seems to give a flying fuck these days.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post

The open borders lunatics crying about the rights of illegal aliens need to STFU.
    What about the rights of citizens? This bill gives the police blanket authority to harrass anyone regardless of citizenship. Of course, this is racial profiling, and it's wrong and against the principles of the Constitution.

Earlier Friday, Obama called the Arizona bill "misguided" and instructed the Justice Department to examine it to see if it's legal.
    I hope that the Justice dept. follows through.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

yeah i really doubt the pigs will be stopping blonde, blue eyed people and asking to see their papers...
    whatever your stance on illegals, i don't want to live in a place where the police can just stop you any time and ask to see your papers for no reason. can't wait for the first stories about asthmatic children being tazed in the head for not whipping out their ID fast enough - you know it's coming.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Of course it is. I don't know what is more discouraging, this stupid bill or the American citizens who think this is acceptable.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Disrespectful little shit. Hope "the pigs" ARE up in his ass every day from now on.
    Oh please. Cops continually act like assholes and then get their knickers in a twist when people call them an asshole. Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post

Yeah, thsi should work out well: cops randomly stopping anyone they want for any arbitrary reason and hey, maybe it will be because the person being stopped has brown skin and apparently having brown skin is now a reason for you to have to prove you're American or in America legally. Awesome new law!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah i really doubt the pigs will be stopping blonde, blue eyed people and asking to see their papers...
    whatever your stance on illegals, i don't want to live in a place where the police can just stop you any time and ask to see your papers for no reason. can't wait for the first stories about asthmatic children being tazed in the head for not whipping out their ID fast enough - you know it's coming.
    Bingo.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Maybe he's disrespectful because they've earned it. So many WTF stories of police actions already come out of Arizona.
    Sorry. I think children should have respect for people who put their lives on the line every day for them. That includes the military, fireman, and cops. Some of them may individually be assholes, but to paint every one of them with such a vulgar name disgusts me. I guess I'm super conservative that way.

People relate to their own experiences. If you're being constantly stopped, harassed, tazed & treated as if you have to prove you're not up to something I'm guessing respect is a little hard to come by.

As far as "putting their lives on the line everyday" they signed up for that job willingly. It's fine to appreciate that but don't we all? It isn't even safe to open your door anymore & then we have to worry about some gung ho bunch of cops with a no knock warrant kicking in the wrong door. We have to hope they figure it out before someone gets tazed, beaten, killed or a family pet dies. They're not all bad, but the apparent unwillingness to properly weed them out or punish the bad ones doesn't do them any favors.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

i love calling cops 'pigs'.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

can't wait for the first stories about asthmatic children being tazed in the head for not whipping out their ID fast enough - you know it's coming.
    Yeah, but you know we'll all do the "I'm going to hell, but I had to laugh" when we see that video.

I wish Florida would follow. Im beginning to feel like a minortity sourrounded by spanish speaking people everywhere I go. Just coming in from the beach and they were all around us with their spanish music blaring. Fine if they are here legally but we have MANY migrant workers here that probly are not
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I wish Florida would follow. Im beginning to feel like a minortity sourrounded by spanish speaking people everywhere I go. Just coming in from the beach and they were all around us with their spanish music blaring. Fine if they are here legally but we have MANY migrant workers here that probly are not
    believe me, the vast majority of latinos in florida are there legally. so you will feel like a minority 'surrounded' by latinos no matter what laws get passed.
    and if it's not latino culture that bothers you but illegal workers, why even bring up feeling surrounded and like a minority, and spanish music blaring?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information