Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LGBT protesters annoy Barack Obama during speech by calling for equality. Boo hoo.

Thumbs up LGBT protesters annoy Barack Obama during speech by calling for equality. Boo hoo.

From the White House pool report - doesn't sound like Obama was loving it by the second time the GetEQUAL protesters interrupted him. There's just going to be more of this until the White House gets off the dime and starts making DADT repeal happen this year.

These are the same folks who worked with Lt Dan Choi when he handcuffed himself to the White House gates a month ago. Looks like they're serious about holding the President's feet to the fire.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell!”

THE PRESIDENT: We are going to do that. Hey, hold on a second, hold on a second. We are going to do that.

AUDIENCE: Yes, we can! Yes, we can! Yes, we can! Yes, we can!

THE PRESIDENT: Here we go. All right -- guys, guys, all right. I agree, I agree, I agree. (Applause.) Now --

AUDIENCE MEMBER: (Inaudible.)

THE PRESIDENT: No, no, no, no, listen. What the young man was talking about was we need to -- we need to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don't Tell,” which I agree with and which we have begun to do. (Applause.) But let me say this: When you’ve got an ally like Barbara Boxer and you’ve got an ally like me who are standing for the same thing, then you don't know exactly why you’ve got to holler, because we already hear you, all right? (Applause.) I mean, it would have made more sense to holler that at the people who oppose it. (Applause.)

AUDIENCE MEMBER: It’s time for equality for all Americans!

THE PRESIDENT: I’m sorry, do you want to come up here? (Applause.) You know, the -- all right, because can I just say, once again, Barbara and I are supportive of repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” so I don't know why you’re hollering.

Now, the problems that we have here put a further strain on folks in this state, forcing painful choices about where to spend and where to save. And the challenges folks have been facing here --

AUDIENCE MEMBER: (Inaudible.)

AUDIENCE: Yes, we can! Yes, we can! Yes, we can! Yes, we can!

THE PRESIDENT: Barbara -- I just -- everybody, I just wanted to confirm -- I just wanted to confirm -- I just checked with Barbara, so if anybody else is thinking about starting a chant, Barbara didn’t even vote for “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in the first place, so you know she’s going to be in favor of repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” (Applause.)
    Video of Obama being interrupted by DADT protesters.

Obama told the protesters "we already hear ya." Cute, but not true. Barney Frank has tried to get the White House for one month now to say that it wants DADT repealed this year. Frank has received silence in response. The President very clearly doesn't hear us. Watch 5:37 into the video, Obama is pissed. This worked folks. His entire speech got disrupted.

AMERICAblog Gay: DADT protesters repeatedly interrupt Obama speech at Boxer fundraiser
    Last edited by Grimmlok; April 19th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

"we are going to...."
    "we are going to...."
    People need more than words. They can't & shouldn't be pacified by these empty promises anymore.

Boo frickety hoo, he got annoyed by some protesters. Sucks to be him. Meanwhile, how many hundreds or thousands have been witch hunted and have had their lives destroyed by DADT?

Suck it, Democrat liars.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So you think that he, without any input from Congress, can just change this law?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Butt, Barney Frank can't even get an answer out of him as to what he IS doing to push this issue, and his flunkies have recently been going around saying "We're not doing this".

On top of that his DOJ has been defending the "constitutionality" of second class citizen apartheid with DADT and DOMA when it is under no obligation to.

Just like with health care, he says one thing and then does nothing to push it. He does not use his position to do much of anything unless he wants to be directly involved.

This isn't a "magic wand" argument, nor is he some powerless figurehead who is unable to move legislation. He seems to do perfectly fine when the issue before him is something he is concerned about.

Frankly, there are many things he could be doing, from the subtle to the gross.. even executive orders, which he has no problems parceling out for similar legal situations WHEN THEY ARE IMPORTANT TO HIM. He also has no problems either personally twisting, or sending out Rahm and his bitchboys to twist, the arms of progressives and liberals when he deems them an impediment to the direction he wishes to go. He is NOT without recourse.

The whole "he can't do anything" argument has been tossed out by constitutional lawyers MONTHS AGO. He has an arsenal at his disposal, every president does.

His unwillingness to tackle these issues, much like actual health reform, is pretty plain for all to see. He tosses out some crumb to whatever group is pissed at him, some scrap that is meant to appease them but in reality means absolutely nothing.. it's usually done (in the case of gays) on Faggot Fridays.. he tosses the scrap to absolutely no fanfare on Friday afternoons because news dumped on friday afternoons garners VERY little attention and is forgotten by that monday, never carried by any media of importance.

That pattern was established BY HIM. So is the pattern of saying lofty things, and doing another.. or abandoning an issue and then scrambling around to rescue it at the last minute, or scrambling around at the last minute, like the health care debate, to redirect it onto paths that do not interfere with his corporate welfare schemes and backroom deals.

So you'll pardon me if the whole "he can't do anything" argument holds absolutely ZERO water with me and the gays anymore. Hell, the latinos caught on early and they're even MORE pissed at him.

He is perfectly able and willing to do quite a bit when it suits him.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    So you think that he, without any input from Congress, can just change this law?
    This.

I agree with their agenda, but the LGBT group isn't handling this the right way. Shouting out Obama only helps the right. And yes, Grim, there is a wide difference between Obama and the right.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Yes, more straight people to paternalistically tell the gays the "right" way to push for their rights, despite a number of decades playing nice and getting nowhere. That's what people need.

Pray tell, what do the hets have to say to minority groups about the "correct" way to get rights they had from birth and never had to fight for? Please, enlighten the gays. Heck, enlighten the latinos too.

There is very little difference between Obama and the right. I can make a list of horrors he's continuing (or even making worse) for you, if you like. Actually, it's been done here about a hundred times but amazingly, they tend to be ignored or overlooked by his most ardent cheerleaders in favor of deflection.

Nevermind that I just outlined what Obama was NOT doing vs. what he COULD be doing, and the hideous reality of what he IS doing. Nope, that didn't get even a glance did it.

Whynot just take a glance at Glenn Greenwald's column over at Salon, he takes on this administration with no holds barred, all the lies and nonsense, on a daily basis. He does it better than I can, and it'll open your eyes.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It's not about the right or wrong way. The thing is, Obama has quite a bit on his plate right now: two wars, a legendary economic crisis, gun nuts running around doing crazy shit, trying to get some sort of health care program in place, economic reform, etc. I understand this is an important issue but it's one that will take an enormous amount of hand-holding and I imagine he's biding his time and doing it when it's right. I don't doubt he'll do it but I don't think it will happen tomorrow.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

It's not about the right or wrong way. The thing is, Obama has quite a bit on his plate right now: two wars, a legendary economic crisis, gun nuts running around doing crazy shit, trying to get some sort of health care program in place, economic reform, etc. I understand this is an important issue but it's one that will take an enormous amount of hand-holding and I imagine he's biding his time and doing it when it's right. I don't doubt he'll do it but I don't think it will happen tomorrow.
    that's my motherfucking favorite!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

With an executive order the President could suspend all discharges under DADT until Congress takes up the matter and passes a law.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^That would be more than he's done so far. It doesn't even look like he's trying.

LOL the "too much on his plate" argument, gimme a break

The magic wand, the too much on his plate, the "powerless president"... am i missing any failed arguments from 10 months ago?

Butt, whatever needs to happen has to happen by midterms because the dems will lose 1 or both houses. That's a very short time from now. Given that, Obama's flunkies are signalling that no more "controversial" legislation will be dealt with between now and then the chances of any real LGBT advancement happening is vanishingly small. In the case of DADT, the "study" they're doing now will stretch beyond midterms.. the military is delaying till the ability to change anything is gone.

How do you propose that "waiting" will solve anything?

When he's running for re-election, he'll use the repealing of DADT AGAIN....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Yup.

"Give me more votes and more money and maybe i'll get around to your issue."

The Dems have been stringing gays along for the last few decades

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    With an executive order the President could suspend all discharges under DADT until Congress takes up the matter and passes a law.

No, he can't. DADT is already in the law, and would require an act of Congress to change it.

More On ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ And Executive Orders - Law Blog - WSJ
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information