Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elderly gay couple separated, home auctioned by CA county, resulting in death

Angry Elderly gay couple separated, home auctioned by CA county, resulting in death

This is what happens when you're old, gay and have no rights whatsoever.

Clay and his partner of 20 years, Harold, lived in California. Clay and Harold made diligent efforts to protect their legal rights, and had their legal paperwork in place--wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all naming each other. Harold was 88 years old and in frail medical condition, but still living at home with Clay, 77, who was in good health.

One evening, Harold fell down the front steps of their home and was taken to the hospital. Based on their medical directives alone, Clay should have been consulted in Harold's care from the first moment. Tragically, county and health care workers instead refused to allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital. The county then ultimately went one step further by isolating the couple from each other, placing the men in separate nursing homes.

Ignoring Clay's significant role in Harold's life, the county continued to treat Harold like he had no family and went to court seeking the power to make financial decisions on his behalf. Outrageously, the county represented to the judge that Clay was merely Harold's "roommate." The court denied their efforts, but did grant the county limited access to one of Harold's bank accounts to pay for his care.

What happened next is even more chilling.

Without authority, without determining the value of Clay and Harold's possessions accumulated over the course of their 20 years together or making any effort to determine which items belonged to whom, the county took everything Harold and Clay owned and auctioned off all of their belongings. Adding further insult to grave injury, the county removed Clay from his home and confined him to a nursing home against his will. The county workers then terminated Clay and Harold's lease and surrendered the home they had shared for many years to the landlord.

Three months after he was hospitalized, Harold died in the nursing home. Because of the county's actions, Clay missed the final months he should have had with his partner of 20 years. Compounding this tragedy, Clay has literally nothing left of the home he had shared with Harold or the life he was living up until the day that Harold fell, because he has been unable to recover any of his property. The only memento Clay has is a photo album that Harold painstakingly put together for Clay during the last three months of his life.

With the help of a dedicated and persistent court-appointed attorney, Anne Dennis of Santa Rosa, Clay was finally released from the nursing home. Ms. Dennis, along with Stephen O'Neill and Margaret Flynn of Tarkington, O'Neill, Barrack & Chong, now represent Clay in a lawsuit against the county, the auction company, and the nursing home, with technical assistance from NCLR. A trial date has been set for July 16, 2010 in the Superior Court for the County of Sonoma.

Sonoma County CA separates elderly gay couple and sells their home | The Bilerico Project)
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That's an appalling story. If I were licensed in Cali, I would certainly volunteer my time to Clay's case.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

This is just sickening.

This is so horrible-there is no excuse for this outrage. Something had better be done.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That is heart breaking. I almost cried.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

See, this is why everyone should be able to get married..pieces of paper don't mean shit to the ignorant! How can you treat two human beings like this, let alone two elderly people and still have a conscious... Sorry bastards!
    I Bleed Purple-Baltimore and Proud!

That's terrible, I bet they hope he dies before the case comes up.

So sad.

Utterly disgusting!! I hope he wins the suit and the settlement is so huge, it bankrupts the damn county.

Without authority, without determining the value of Clay and Harold's possessions accumulated over the course of their 20 years together or making any effort to determine which items belonged to whom, the county took everything Harold and Clay owned and auctioned off all of their belongings. Adding further insult to grave injury, the county removed Clay from his home and confined him to a nursing home against his will. The county workers then terminated Clay and Harold's lease and surrendered the home they had shared for many years to the landlord.
    You mean to tell me they're allowed to kick someone out of their house and hold them up in a nursing home AGAINST THEIR WILL!? A governing body can tear innocent people's lives and ransack their property like that and not give a shit? God damn it I've read alot of stuff that makes me angry on here but this is the worst, fucking stupid country we live in. I hate it!

I hope this man does everything he can to put these SOBs through hell for messing with his life and his departed partner. Just unbelievable.

Heartbreaking and infuriating.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

This is just wrong.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

How can people behave in such a cruel way? How?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Sue them for all their worth!

In case anyone's interested, I found a Facebook group for this Justice for Clay Greene and Harold of Sonoma County, CA | Facebook
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

This is maddening!! It's absolutely disgusting to treat people this way!

^it should be criminal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information