Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Details of Sarah Palin's Speaking Contract Revealed

Default Details of Sarah Palin's Speaking Contract Revealed

Sarah Palin Speaking Contract: 'Rider' Demands First-Class Travel, Pre-Screened Questions, Bendable Straws

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Sarah Palin will get first-class airfare for two and three rooms at a luxury hotel when she gives a speech in June for a university foundation.

And organizers better not forget to stock her lectern with two water bottles and bendable straws.

The details of Palin's contract [PDF] with the California State University, Stanislaus Foundation were contained in five pages of the document retrieved from a campus trash bin by students who heard administrators might be shredding documents related to the speech.

Pre-Screened Questions

'"SATELLITE EVENTS: Customer agrees to provide a 2-way satellite broadcast. For Q&A, the questions are to be collected from the audience in advance, pre-screened and a designated representative (by Customer and approved by Speaker via WSB) shall ask questions directly of the speaker to avoid delay time with a roving microphone in the audience."

First-Class commercial airfare

"COMMERCIAL AIR: Customer shall be responsible for roundtrip, first class commercial air travel for two between Anchorage, Alaska and event city and full, unrestricted roundtrip coach airfare for two between event city and the lower 48 US States. At the Speaker's discretion, the departure/return city may vary for the first class airfare."

.. Or a private jet
    "The private aircraft MUST BE a Lear 60 or larger (as defined by interior cabin space) for West Coast Events; or, a Hawker 800 or larger (as defined by interior cabin space) for East Coast Events and both are subject to the Speaker's approval. The Speaker reserves the right to change the flight plans at any time."

SUVs
    "Customer agrees to provide the Speaker and traveling party with ground transportation in both originating city and event city. Transportation will be by SUV(s) from a professionally licensed and insured car service. lf SUV(s) are not available, black town cars may be substituted. WSB wrll arrange all of the Speaker's ground transportation. Only representatives of the Speaker or WSB are to meet the Speaker at the arriving/departing airport. In addition, for those events that do not take place at the hotel where the Speaker and traveling party are slaying, the cars and drivers will need to wait at the venue for the duration of the program."

No Autographs
    "AUTOGRAPHS: Unless agreed to at the firm invitation stage, Customer shall not permit or assist in the request for autographs while the Speaker is on-site."

Extracurricular Activities
    "PRIVATE BUSINESS: The Speaker reserves the right to participate in private business including but not limited to book or political events during their visit. For any other event which is subject to media coverage, the Customer will be advised of such event. For international events, the Speaker also reserves the right to visit privately with the host government's Head of State, Head of Government, Ministerial-level officials, the U.S. Embassy and others as necessary. The Speaker reserves the right to accept the invitation of host government to overnight at an official residence."

Presentation: 'comfortable, but appropriate, lighting'

"Presentation: Customer to provide a tall, wooden lectern with lip and fixed microphone in addition to a hand-held microphone. An overhead light, either from the ceiling above the lectern or a spotlight, directed at the Speaker's notes on the lectern is required along with a back-up lighting system for the lectern. Lighting should be at a comfortable, but appropriate, production- level for the Speaker to be able to see the full audience from the lectern/stage without interference. A spotlight directly on the Speaker should be avoided."

Bendable Straws:
    '"Unopened bottled still water (2 bottles) and bendable straws are to be placed in or near the wooden lectern. A representative of WSB or the Speaker's party will open the water at an appropriate time prior to the Speaker's participation in the program. No Plexiglas or thin lecterns please. If Speaker is seated on-stage at a table customer to ensure that the table is skirted."

Security of 'the highest order'
    "SECURITY: Due to the Speaker's professional endeavors and high profile, arrangements of the highest order are necessary for the maintenance of the Speaker's security and the security of the audience. Customer agrees to provide security arrangements as deemed necessary by WSB and the Speaker."

Sarah Palin Speaking Contract: 'Rider' Demands First-Class Travel, Pre-Screened Questions, Bendable Straws

What a piece of work. She's taking 'em for all their worth, and basically getting a completely free political and book tour.

And at her thinking that any foreign 'Heads of State' would invite her on an overnight visit. And she's apparently too high 'n might to open her own bottles of water.

You know, I actually don't think any of these demands are out of line... it's not like she asked for rose scented hankies near the lectern or a bowl of green gummy bears. She's a fucking moron, but doesn't appear to be a diva.

Palin never ceases to amaze me. Not shocked about the pre-screened questions. Wouldn't want anyone to go all Katie Couric on her again.

A private jet & bendable straws? Really?

For international events, the Speaker also reserves the right to visit privately with the host government's Head of State, Head of Government, Ministerial-level officials, the U.S. Embassy and others as necessary. The Speaker reserves the right to accept the invitation of host government to overnight at an official residence."
    I'm sure the heads of state are just lining up to meet the Wasilla Hillbilly & throw her a slumber party.

I use bendable straws everyday with my smoothie, I can understand that demand, straight straws are a pain.
    Private jet?...please
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

ETA- to burnttoast, no she's totally milking it and she's put in some diva stuff.

Think about it the context of her speaking at CalState. If they have only a plastic, lucite podium, and not wooden? A problem. No spotlights, to autographs, she wants them to hire a private photog to take 'personal' photos that are not to be used or distributed by anyone but Palin. They have to hire a car service, etc etc.

Pretty much flies in her face of 'the Real America' and all that BS. IDK about you guys, but I've absolutely known of towns where you couldn't find a black town car for rent within 90 miles.

Reading the actual contract, this stuff stood out too:

Her photo policy- mandating # of clicks per a timeframe?!

Requiring the sponsor to make an audio recording of the speech.

I guess with this contract, the Devil's in the details. There's A LOT of language in there that could make booking Palin to be more trouble than its worth. Specifying the kind of podium, when to open the water bottle, type of car- its just overkill.

Elite Member

Well, she definitely has an inflated opinion of herself, but she has been assisted in that view by all the people who fawn over her, and even by the liberal media who are obsessed with her.

I tend to agree with burnt toast--these demands are probably pretty standard for the echelon to which she feels she belongs. If it were HRC, or a former president, or someone of that ilk they'd be pretty standard I would think.

In fact, I think people are making too much of this whole thing. It won't alienate her from her base, that's for sure. Sarah's whole thing is that America is the land of opportunity, and she's just being...opportunistic. The average American would probably rather be rich than smart or ethical, anyway. She's the epitome of success by those standards.

I think publicly funded institutions should have to disclose how much they pay all speakers, not just her. They may well make a ton of money or get a shitload of publicity from her speaking engagement, so I imagine they can justify it.

It will be a good thing for the college's Dem club. They will get some useful life experience picketing the speech.

The straws must be bendable and flexible, otherwise it would be easy to put a stiff plastic straw up her nose when she takes a drink--very embarrassing and potentially painful. I've done it with those little cocktail straws when I was trying to look cute on a date and it is mortifying.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Ha "where the traveling party is slaying"
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I still can't get over that anyone would pay her to speak.

Elite Member

^^

It's crazy, isn't it? I read on CNN today that she's made $12 million since quitting as AK governor.

I totally understand why the GOP can't quit her, she is a money-making machine and she puts butts in the seats.

Over the next year it should be interesting to watch the strange little dance that the party will have to do with her so they can get her supporters' votes without being too closely associated with her.

BENDY STRAWS. She's so retarded she needs straws to accommodate her lack of a brain. Good lord.

Surprised she didn't request what color the bendy straws have to be.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I tend to agree with burnt toast--these demands are probably pretty standard for the echelon to which she feels she belongs. If it were HRC, or a former president, or someone of that ilk they'd be pretty standard I would think.
    But there's the rub: she's a former joke of a VP candidate, and a 1-term former Gov. who couldn't even fulfill that obligation.

HRC is a fmr First Lady, frm Senator, frm Presidential candidate, current Secretary of State.

Like, a huuuuge, yawning gap between the two ladies. They don't and shouldn't deserve the same standard. HRC, yes she is totally legit in requesting 'the highest order of security.' Palin? Her biggest personal risk is some of the dumbshits that attend her events accidentally sitting on the pistols they are packing.

i think that's why it irks me so much. its like she's appropriated all the standard stuff from a PResidential campaign's Advance team, and taken it up a few notches and decided that's what she deserves.

and most of all- is there anyone here who thinks that she won't hesitate to turn down a gig at Hometown U, just because they unfortunately have a plastic podium and a spotlight?

that's my issue. its all about the money for her. it has absolutely nothing to do with much of anything else. she makes that much clear in her contract IMO. yet she disguises herself as a 'public servant' preaching the conservative message... riiiight.

Elite Member

^^
    It's the money, but also the limelight, being the star. She doesn't want the responsibility of governing.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Funny but if these people instead took all their money and put it towards paying taxes and for health care instead of hiring this nitwit there would be anything for them to complain about.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I don't think these things are anything crazy. What is crazy to me is anyone wants to listen to her speak. That voice is all kinds of annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information