Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Burger King on Afghanistan base? Soldiers grumble.

Default No more Burger King on Afghanistan base? Soldiers grumble.

No more Burger King on Afghanistan base? Soldiers grumble. - Yahoo! News

Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan – The lines outside the burger and pizza joints dotting the “Boardwalk” at Kandahar Air Base remain defiantly long, despite recent reports that it may be shut down.

The air base in southern Afghanistan is NATO’s largest in the country and the main landing spot of the US troop surge. Its entertainment district – a square kilometer of fast food franchises, cafes, electronic stories, basketball courts, the occasional live rock concert, and a Thai massage parlor until it was shut down by authorities – serves some 25,000 military personnel and contractors on the outskirts of Kandahar.

“I think it’ll bring down morale,” says Sgt. Michael Masterton, a US soldier on leave from one of the frontline bases in Kandahar’s hinterland as he bites into a cheeseburger and fries at the Mamma Mia Pizzeria, an outpost of Italiana and red-and-white-checked tablecloths.

“For those of us who come down from the FOBs [forward operating bases] it gives us something to do.”

“Are people back home really upset over us being able to have a burger?” asks Col. Don Groves, head of operations at Kandahar Airport, shaking his head in disbelief. “Do they really consider that we have it easy in this war zone?

Essential goods?The Boardwalk came under scrutiny last year, when the top US commander in Afghanistan, the famously spartan Gen. Stanley McChrystal, dispatched a team here to investigate if it was essential for maintaining troop morale or if it was hampering shipments of fighting supplies such as Humvees and M-4 rifles.

The need for war materiel is set to grow in coming months, with some 5,000 additional troops and support staff due to arrive this summer to help carry out a major military campaign in Kandahar Province.

“This is a warzone, not an amusement park,” wrote Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall on a NATO blog posting in February.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupply with ammunition, food and water.”

Fast food joints at risk include Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Dairy Queen, although burgers and such will still be available at military canteens.

Not just burgers The Boardwalk’s nightly patrons and workers, however, see additional benefits of the entertainment center.

With troops from so many countries, the Boardwalk is “a gathering place where you get to meet people from other nationalities,” says Donna Perry, a Canadian contractor who enjoys watching hockey games in the evening as she munches on pizza.

When it comes to food, though, she admits, there’s little cross-cultural experimentation. At the Canadian doughnut franchise where she works, Tim Horton’s, British soldiers overwhelmingly opt for the Toffee Coffee while the French flock to the French Vanilla flavorings, she says.

The Boardwalk offers a taste of local culture, too. Small shops, which will not be closed, sell Afghan memorabilia such as “war carpets” woven with fighter-jet and Kalashnikov patterns. “Business is good. The Boardwalk’s a very nice place,” says Wali Jan, a salesman at the Afghan Toys and Gift Shop.

An Indian employee at the metal container doubling as a Burger King temporarily stops taking orders when told the place might shut down. “I came all the way from India for this job,” he says, disconsolate. “I have no idea what I would do if the order came to shut us down.”

With its scent of greasy fries and burger meat, the Boardwalk may serve another vital purpose: covering up, when the winds are right, the smell of the nearby “Poo Pond” half a mile away where the base’s human waste is disposed.

“The smell, you become used to it quite quickly,” says one British soldier who did not want to give his name.

Timmies will bring everybody together.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Well, not a bad idea at all. Why aren't these people on top rations, like veg and fruit and, you know, stuff that will keep them in fit fighting form?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Well, not a bad idea at all. Why aren't these people on top rations, like veg and fruit and, you know, stuff that will keep them in fit fighting form?
    For guys in their twenties to early thirties, in a stressful, physically demanding job, I bet they don't gain a pound eating at these places.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I don't think it's about gaining a pound or two; it's about giving them a diet that will keep them healthy.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I don't think it's about gaining a pound or two; it's about giving them a diet that will keep them healthy.
    I don't know, but there were two thoughts in my mind on this. I sort of got the idea that this place was kind of a lark for many of the soldiers -- i.e., they don't go down there every day. It's kind of like a place that many, if not most, go to every once in a while to experience something kind of "American".

The other thing is that Burger King is a lot of fats and proteins and carbs, and people out in Afghanistan probably burn through that kind of quickly. I know I did when I was in my twenties and really physically active. If you are at a desk job, though, it's definitely not a good diet.

My brother has been in out of Afghanistan 5 times now. He said the food has been very good and much better than is was in Iraq. He also said that most guys went to the "boardwalk" area just to get away from feeling like they were stuck on base.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    My brother has been in out of Afghanistan 5 times now. He said the food has been very good and much better than is was in Iraq. He also said that most guys went to the "boardwalk" area just to get away from feeling like they were stuck on base.
    That's what I've read; while I'm not saying burger king is key to a soldier's mental health I think having these little things helps.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    For guys in their twenties to early thirties, in a stressful, physically demanding job, I bet they don't gain a pound eating at these places.
    Not with all the training they do - my ex (a senior NCO) used to take the younger lads for runs around the base in Iraq at least twice a week when they were on manouvers. A couple of reasons why, nervous energy, but also to keep them fit. I'm no small chick, but he "bench pressed" me once... and I'm not telling you how much I weigh, but I was as tall as he was.... (but not as strong).
    Its totally not about a health diet - thats what the mess is for. Its about morale. These guys are out there 6-8 months at a time, where they're not on base they have no showers, live in their tanks, mail from home is sporadic, etc, etc, etc. Seriously, even knowing a little bit, we really have no concept of what its like. I used to bake every sunday & he'd get them on a tuesday, he'd sit on his tank in the desert eating flapjack (with the COs doing detours to steal them from him). He was so appreciative of the "normal" stuff from home e.g. nescafe in sachets so he could have coffee while on manouvers, chewing gum, stupid stuff we take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Sluce - I hope that he continues to come safely home. I will keep him in my thoughts & prayers.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I'd be more concerned about getting shot, than about having one of Burger King's soggy burgers. I know troops like to have a taste of home when they're in a war zone, but not having Burger King on the base isn't a big deal.

King, I'm afraid I beg to differ.

But then I was horrified when my ex told me he'd been blown up in N Ireland, he'd been to Iraq 3 times, used to get shot at regularly, etc etc etc.
    He wasn't blas about it but he did percive it as relatively "normal".
    He also used to spend 6-8 months of the year abroad. Sometimes in the Jungle (no proper mess even), sometimes in the desert, sometimes in Canada (??? don't ask). "Home" was precious.

Novice, I've got family & friends who have fought in either the first Gulf War or Iraq/Afghanistan, so I get what you're saying. But in the grand scheme of things if you're risking your life in battle, Burger King isn't that important.

No I agree its not, but it is good for moral; which I'm sure you apprciate.

True, having some comforts of home are definitely good for morale.

I hope you family & friends come home safe King, I truely do. I have a lot of admiration for the men & women who put their lves in the lne for us day-in, day-out; even if I dislike some of the politics (both euro & us) behind it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information