Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor refuses to treat Obama supporters

Default Doctor refuses to treat Obama supporters

Florida urologist Jack Cassell posted a sign on his office door reading, "If you voted for Obama ... seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your health care begin right now, not in four years."
    Cassell, a registered Republican, quickly backpedaled in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, but said he's perfectly happy to lose business over the sign. "I'm not turning anybody away, that would be unethical," he told the Sentinel. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."
    Patients who continue past the sign on Cassell's door find a waiting room stacked with Republican pamphlets opposing health care reform, underneath a sign reading, "This is what the morons in Washington have done to your health care. Take one, read it and vote out anyone who voted for it."
    Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) told the Sentinel he was "disgusted" by Cassell's behavior.
    "Maybe he thinks the Hippocratic Oath says, 'Do no good'," Grayson said. "If this is the face of the right wing in America, it's the face of cruelty. ... Why don't they change the name of the Republican Party to the Sore Loser Party?"
    UPDATE: MyFoxOrlando.com has posted an on-camera interview with Dr. Cassell. Here are a few key clips:
    Dr. Cassell responds to charges that his sign is unethical, and says "this bill wants you to die sooner."

Jack Cassell: Doctor Refuses To Treat Obama Supporters

Piece. of. shit.

Olbermann was just talking about this story tonight. Since when did the Hippocratic Oath include people having to share your political ideology? And, of course, he's from Florida.

I wonder if he'd be perfectly happy to lose his license, which is what should happen.

Elite Member

Well, at least he's blatant about it so you can avoid him.

He's entitled to his opinions, of course, but every doctor should put patients first.

Strip that bastard of his licence. Hippocratic Oath, SOB.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I don't know, I just find this wrong. Sure, he's entitled to his opinion, but I think it's wrong coming from a person who's in the position to dole out care. I mean, what if he sees an Obama sticker on a patients car and treats them badly because of it?

Elite Member

Well, it's interesting because I had a discussion online with some others a couple of years ago about whether it makes a difference if your doctor has opposing political views to yours.

My feeling then was that (a) most of the time I have no idea what my doctors' views are, and they don't know mine, and (b) doctors and other healthcare providers wind up treating people that they might 'have problems with' on a daily basis. Think about the people who work in ERs who are providing care to substance abusers and maybe even criminals--they might not 'approve' of the patient but they provide care anyway. If they stopped to do the calculus on every individual's worth, the life choices they've made, etc., they would never get anything done. Most doctors learn to put their emotions aside, for better or for worse, anyway.

Maybe I give doctors too much credit, but that's the way I always saw it. I think this doctor is an outlier and an asshole in a league by himself. I hope he doesn't become some kind of hero or embolden others when he is actually an example of what a doctor shouldn't be. He's also an example of how churlish, juvenile, and petty some members of his party are, and a reminder of how much civility we have lost in our society.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

A medical Joe the Plumber in the making.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

I think he should lose his license. A doctor should treat everyone regardless of ideology.

Too bad the clip of Anderson Cooper interviewing this jerk on AC360 isn't online yet.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

So, will Dr Douchebag question each patient while they're hooked up to a lie detector??? Sounds like he went into medicine to make money and not to help people .

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    (b) doctors and other healthcare providers wind up treating people that they might 'have problems with' on a daily basis. Think about the people who work in ERs who are providing care to substance abusers and maybe even criminals--they might not 'approve' of the patient but they provide care anyway. If they stopped to do the calculus on every individual's worth, the life choices they've made, etc., they would never get anything done. Most doctors learn to put their emotions aside, for better or for worse, anyway.
    That reminds me of the ER episode where Benton says he missed his mother's birthday party because he had to save someone with "die n***** die" tattoed on his chest. I think many doctors have to make that call on a daily basis and if this POS is using someone's political opinions over a bill who's mechanics haven't even been worked out yet to decide who is worthy, he needs to find another profession.

I wonder how many Medicare patients this guy treats. You know, since the government needs to keep its hands off our healthcare and stuff.

Elite Member

^^
    You reminded me of the Grey's Anatomy episode where Bailey operateed on the guy with the swastik tattoo, and did so at the risk of her marriage.

I don't agree with his message but I believe that everyone has a right to have their opinion.

He stays within the lines a blurred as they may be. He is not refusing to treat people he is suggesting that people who do not agree with him seek care some where else. We see this with other specialties. There are many OB/GYNs who tell patients if they want OCP (oral contraceptives) they need to seek care somewhere else because they do not believe in it. It happens in all areas, they just are not placing signs on their doors. They say it to the patients face to face and it does not get reported.

Please don't flame me.

Elite Member

^^When I was 21 I went to my mother's OB/Gyn, had an exam, and then she refused to prescribe me birth control pills because she didn't believe unmarried women should be sexually active. I had to go get another exam at Planned Parenthood so I could get my pills. That doctor bitch should've been more up front about her beliefs before making me go through the pain of 2 pap smears.

^^ That's just ridiculous. If OB/GYNs don't want to prescribe birth control, maybe they should switch specialties.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information