Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tick off an ally, US to vote on Armenian genocide

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default How to tick off an ally, US to vote on Armenian genocide

BBC News - US committee to vote on Armenian 'genocide' measure

US committee to vote on Armenian 'genocide' measure

Turkey and Armenia normalised relations last year

A US Congressional committee is debating a resolution to label as genocide the killing of Armenians by Turkish forces during World War I. The non-binding resolution is fiercely opposed by Turkey, a key US ally.
    US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton advised the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs to hold off the vote, a White House spokesman said.
    She said the resolution would harm reconciliation talks between Turkey and Armenia, the spokesman added.
    In 2007, a similar resolution passed the committee stage, but was shelved before a House vote after pressure from the George W Bush administration.
    Turkey has warned of consequences for US-Turkey ties if it is passed.
    During the campaign President Barack Obama promised to brand the mass killings genocide.
    'Too important'
    On Thursday committee chairman Howard Berman urged fellow members of the committee to endorse the resolution despite the White House warnings.

Q&A: Armenian genocide dispute

"I believe that Turkey values its relationship with the United States at least as much as we value our relations with Turkey," he said.
    The Turks, he added, "fundamentally agree that the US-Turkish alliance is simply too important to get side-tracked by a non-binding resolution passed by the House of Representatives".
    Even if the committee approves the resolution, it is unclear whether it will go forward to a vote in the House of Representatives.
    A Turkish parliamentary delegation has gone to Washington to try to persuade committee members not to approve the resolution.
    It calls on Mr Obama to ensure that US foreign policy reflects an understanding of the "genocide" and to label the World War I killings as such in his annual statement on the issue.
    Nationalist sentiment is intense in Turkey and, if the resolution passes, there will be an emotional reaction, even by those who have been arguing for reconciliation with Armenia, says the BBC's Jonathan Head in Istanbul.
    In October last year, Turkey and Armenia signed a historic accord normalising relations between them after a century of hostility.
    Armenia wants Turkey to recognise the killings as an act of genocide, but successive Turkish governments have refused to do so.
    Hundreds of thousands of Armenians died in 1915, when they were deported en masse from eastern Anatolia by the Ottoman Empire. They were killed by troops or died from starvation and disease.
    Armenians have campaigned for the killings to be recognised internationally as genocide - and more than 20 countries have done so.
    Turkish officials accept that atrocities were committed but argue they were part of the war and that there was no systematic attempt to destroy the Christian Armenian people.

This happened during WW1 can't we play nice and fagetabout it? We will need Turkeys airspace and we don't have that many friends left in the middle east.

...... *slaps you*

Seriously?

*slaps you again*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    This happened during WW1 can't we play nice and fagetabout it? We will need Turkeys airspace and we don't have that many friends left in the middle east.

You're kidding right?

This is a long standing disgrace, and the fact that we are afraid to call something what it really is makes it worse.

When Hitler put his plan into effect for the Holocaust, he was told the world would be against him, and he justified it with 'Who today remembers the Armenians?"

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Now that I think about it, the holocaust wasn't that bad either. It's probably time to move on from that as well.

it's genocide. turkey is in deep denial about this and they even go so far as to censor and threaten anyone who dares express a dissenting opinion. the rest of the civilised world agrees it is genocide and if the US suddenly came and said that it wasn't, they would be ridiculing themselves in the eyes of the world.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I hear the native americans really wanted to abandon their land.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It is genocide and should be labeled genocide. If the Turks still want to get pissy about something they did back in 1915, then that's on them.

But I love how the Congress waits decades after the fact to condemn certain things only when the political climate is just right. That apology for slavery still warms my heart.

It's ridiculous that the Turks still insist on denying this genocide.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I am only going to recognize this resolution when we have ANOTHER nonbinding resolution labeling Mongolia's conquest of the Khwarezmid empire as genocide. I mean, there was literally not even a f*cking farm animal left when Genghis Khan got through with them.

Forget the article, I'm horrified by the "a Ally" in the title.

That has got to be one of the most retarded things I've ever read on this board, and that's saying something. And I normally hate the word retarded, but there's no other word to describe the profound and myopic ignorance of this comment.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Is it true that System of a Down is now refusing to do any tour dates in Georgia?

The Armenian massacres were one of the first true genocides of the modern world(even though the word(genocide) was not invented until 1944).

The condemnation should have officially happened a long time ago. The Turks just need to suck it up, admit what happened, apologize, possibly give reparations, and move on. Turkey will do none of these things of course.

The fact that it happened nearly 100 years ago should enable the Turks to at least say 'that was then, this is now' and all when apologizing. But it won't happen.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus!

well thanks for calling me retarded....

if nothing else at least I got a rise out of you.

We need Turkey, we don't have that many friends in the middle east and even this retard knows that.

We need Turkey......
    And cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes and stuffing. God, I'm Hungary!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information