Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthem Blue Cross to hike rates 39% in California in giant spasm of stupid

Thumbs down Anthem Blue Cross to hike rates 39% in California in giant spasm of stupid

Reporting from Sacramento - Executives from California health insurance giant Anthem Blue Cross, under fire for scheduled rate hikes of up to 39%, insisted Tuesday that their premiums were fair and legal, and they told lawmakers they expected that the increases would go forward.

Appearing before the state Assembly's health committee, the officials said that they believed rate increases for individual health insurance policies, delayed until May 1 while being reviewed by the Department of Insurance, would survive scrutiny by regulators

The testimony came as members of the committee lashed out at Anthem for its proposed rate hikes and its corporate profit a day before the rate controversy moves to Washington, where a congressional subcommittee holds a hearing Wednesday.

At issue are steep premium increases for many of Anthem's 800,000 California customers who buy policies for themselves because they do not have insurance through employers.

The increases, which had been scheduled to take effect March 1, were delayed while independent actuaries, hired by California's insurance commissioner, review whether they are justified under state law.

Since word of rate increases in late January, the hikes and the profit of Anthem's parent company, WellPoint Inc., have come under attack by customers, insurance brokers, consumer advocates, regulators, lawmakers and the Obama administration.

President Obama on Monday proposed an expansion of federal authority to regulate health insurance rate increases such as Anthem's as part of his national healthcare reform package.

In Sacramento, Anthem's president, Leslie Margolin, told the committee that much of the public frustration over the rate hikes was misdirected and should be aimed at the nation's healthcare system.

"This debate and this inquiry cannot and should not be just about the insurance industry or the delivery system or regulators or legislators or customers or brokers," Margolin said.

"We have wasted precious time and precious resources doing battle with each other," she added. "We must come together collaboratively and strategically to address the distressing symptoms of our troubled system -- rising premiums, for example -- and to address the fundamental underlying causes of our collective failure."

The health committee's chairman, Assemblyman Dave Jones (D-Sacramento), called the Anthem hikes "astonishing" as he renewed his call for the state to regulate health insurance rates the way it limits increases for auto and property insurance.

"Are you planning to go forward with the rate increases?" Jones asked executives from Anthem and Wellpoint during Tuesday's hearing in Sacramento.

James Oatman, WellPoint's vice president and general manager of individual business, responded: "We believe the rate increase we have applied for is consistent with all the laws of the state of California. We are advocating that those rates are appropriate rates."

The California Department of Insurance will allow Anthem's rate increases only if outside actuaries certify that the company spends at least 70% of its premiums on medical claims, as required by state law, a department spokesman said. That review should be finished by mid-April. Anthem officials have said they meet the standard.

If the spending falls below the 70% level, "we will exercise our full regulatory authority to force them to lower their rates," department spokesman Darrel Ng said. "Our rule is to ensure they follow state law. The company has been consistent with asserting that its rates are legal."

Oatman testified with Anthem President Margolin. Both defended Anthem's profit margin during an often-testy hearing, saying it was 2.5% to 5%, a figure they said put it in line with other insurers.

A Times analysis of Anthem's financial reports to regulators showed Anthem has transferred more than $4.2 billion in dividends to WellPoint since 2004. "How much profit is enough?" Jones asked the executives.

"We have no interest in profit beyond the range I have described to you," Margolin responded. "Profits in the range of 2.5% to 5% are reasonable profits. They are appropriate profits. They are profits that we have as . . . a responsibility to keep a viable business surviving."

Jones was unmoved by her testimony. "Have you no shame?" he said.

Anthem began notifying policyholders in January of the proposed rate hikes. The company told customers at the time that it might also depart from its typical practice of increasing premiums annually and instead do so more often.

Anthem is not the only insurer across the country to raise rates by double digits, but its increases have caused a national furor over insurance costs. Critics have roundly condemned the increases, saying they vastly exceed the rise of national healthcare spending.

Indianapolis-based WellPoint, which has taken the lead defending the rates, said that less than a quarter of those affected would see increases of 35% to 39%. The average will be about 25%, while some policyholders will see rates drop by as much as 20%, company executives said.

WellPoint has argued that the higher premiums reflect soaring medical costs and the changing pool of individual policyholders. Younger and healthier customers are forgoing insurance in the tough economy, leaving older and sicker people with greater health needs to share the cost of individual coverage, the company said.

Anthem Blue Cross plans to go ahead with rate hikes in California - latimes.com
    The entire state is broke, tent cities are sprouting up all over, and these people are going to jack up their rates by almost half?

What are they trying to do, wring the last few dollars out of people and then shut down?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I know someone with a GHI Emblem Health plan who has a $11,000 annual deductible. 11,000!

This is turning into a horror movie.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That is insanely ridiculous.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I have Anthem Blue Cross through my employer and my share alone is $426 a month!!! That's for a family of three. We have no choice of HMO or PPO - only PPO is offered.

It's ridiculous, but I can only imagine how much health insurance would be if I didn't have a job.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I had Aetna and just for myself was nothing but to add my son was $300 a month additional.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Elite Member

Insane.

All this shit just gets better every day. Congrats to Anthem Blue Cross on raising the bar of greed.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Yep, our plan as non-health-care-havers is to never get sick.

*eyes Canada covetously* Vancouver looks like a nice place to live *side eye*

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Gobsmackingly stupid.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

And I bet the govt. in Sacramento will do absolutely nothing about it, just like every other state government.

Elite Member

^^
    This really has to be done at the federal level. I hope Congress starts showing some backbone.

Screw Blue Cross. BCBS of NC is doing the same on this side of the US. I'm not sure that health care is what needs reforming. What needs reforming are the insurance and pharmaceutical industries. It'll never happen though. They pretty much own our government along with a few other big businesses.

I get cheap insurance through my work, but the catch is - not one single provider in my county will accept it. The company is known for fighting tooth and nail to not have to pay claims so pretty much no one will take their insurance, or even accept new patients with that insurance. I pay out of network if I have to go, but that is better than having to pay entire out of pocket expenses.

Bronze Member

Maybe this will get dumbshits to support health care reform now.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    ^^
    This really has to be done at the federal level. I hope Congress starts showing some backbone.
    It won't make a difference. Members of Congress are covered by the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBF) - the government (i.e., taxpayers) pays up to 75% of the premiums for their health insurance. Plus they get special Congressional perks, which the US taxpayers help pay for.

They get some of the best health care benefits in the country, much of which is funded by taxpayers. At the same time, they receive millions of dollars in campaign contributions from the health sector, which they earn by protecting those companies through legistation (for example, see the Medicare Reform Act of 2004, which prohibits Medicare from negotiating with drug companies for lower prices, something that other governments are allowed to do, and that the FEHBF is even allowed to do).

Why would they change a thing? Even with Congress having a strong disapproval rating in 2008, 94% of Representatives and 83% of Senators were re-elected. So, we think they suck, but we keep sending them back - because we stupidly convince ourselves that it's the "other guy" that sucks.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvin400 View Post
    Maybe this will get dumbshits to support health care reform now.
    Won't make a difference if Obama and the losercrats don't push for a public option (even though single payer is still the best answer) and don't put any caps on premium prices and force people by mandate to buy this shitty product
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information