Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin lashes out at "Family Guy"

A*O

Default Sarah Palin lashes out at "Family Guy"

Those guys do treat a fine line sometimes but hey, if it pisses off SP it's fine with me. She seems to be saying that portraying Down Syndrome people going on dates and having normal human relationships isn't OK. Hmmmmm.

Also, Bristol seems to be more annoyed about this than Sarah but then again she is Trig's mother so she's bound to be.

February 17, 2010 - 1:36PM

Former US vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is lashing out at the portrayal of a character with Down syndrome on the Fox animated comedy Family Guy.

In a Facebook posting headlined "Fox Hollywood - What a Disappointment," the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and current Fox News contributor said Sunday night's episode felt like "another kick in the gut."

Palin's youngest son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

The episode features the character Chris falling for a girl with Down syndrome. On a date, he asks what her parents do.

She replies: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska."

Palin resigned as Alaska governor last summer.

Palin's oldest daughter, Bristol, also was quoted on her mother's Facebook page, calling the show's writers "heartless jerks."

"When you're the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent," she is quoted as saying.

"If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed," Bristol Palin added in the Monday posting. "All they proved is that they're heartless jerks."

Palin wrote that she'd asked her daughter what she thought of the show and Bristol's reply was "a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question: When is enough enough?"

This isn't the first time Palin has spoken out over an attack, real or perceived, on her family. Last year, she condemned a joke David Letterman made about her daughter, for which he later apologised.

A Family Guy publicist didn't immediately return an email seeking comment.

AP
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

I think they are more upset with them being portrayed negatively, not Trig.

Palin might be dumber than Dan Quayle. At least he went after a fictional person (Murphy Brown) and not a cartoon character.

But...it was SATIRE!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Wait, what about the "McCain/Palin 08" button on the nazi uniform Stewie finds? That the Palins let go?

I guess to them, portraying a character with DS having a normal life can't be good because then they can't be exploited for political gain.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Sarah's just mad because the corky girl on the Family Guy is smarter than her "normal" daughters.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

They go way over the line but that's the humor in the show. It's an equal opportunity offender.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Notice she clarifies that it's Fox Hollywood she's pissed at, not Faux News, which is the gravy train she's currently riding.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

This gives me hope that South Park will one day make fun of Sarah Palin.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

I didn't see the episode, so what am I missing here? A character falls for a girl that has Down's Syndrome. What's so insulting about that? Or they're insulted that the character is an amalgamation of one of their children - again what's so insulting about that?

If that's it, these people are just looking for something to get hacked off about.

This she's upset about? She wasn't upset that a Nazi was wearing a McCain/Palin button in an earlier episode?

She does know this is a cartoon, right?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

People, if we can't laugh about the rough times in our lives, we're doomed.

Family Guy makes fun of every race, creed, religion and disability. But that's not important as long as the Sarah Palin Victim Tour can continue with Bristol riding shotgun.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I like Family Guy and South Park just fine (a lot, actually). I only take issue with people who would normally be offended or pissed about a special needs person being the butt of a joke , but turn a blind eye when it is directed at someone they don't like. I just find it hard ot take those people seriously when they talk about their 'values'. Your values don't mean anything if you change them depending on who is being affected. We all do this to some extent (for example, don't care if a rapist gets raped in prison) but it doesn't make me feel good about myself.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information