Thread: Gay activist soldier reports for active duty

Elite Member

Default Gay activist soldier reports for active duty

This is the beginning of the end for DADT.

TUSTIN Gay activist and Tustin native Lt. Dan Choi is training for a possible deployment to Afghanistan.
    The soldier, who is awaiting a final decision on being discharged from the military, announced that he was gay on an episode of the Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC last year.

In order to stay in the U.S. Army National Guard, Choi said, he would have had to deny the statement.
    "All you can do is say, 'That's not me,' or that I was lying, or say that I said that at the time but I apologize and I'm not gay," Choi said. "The first thing I said was, 'I'm gay and I have a boyfriend, not a girlfriend. You don't get in trouble for lying, only for telling the truth."
    Choi returned to four-day training with his unit this past weekend. His unit is up for potential deployment to Afghanistan and trains regularly once a month. Choi said he's been substituting the regular trainings by doing office work. His commander, he said, has always been supportive.
    Gay soldier calls Army training "invigorating" | choi, national, army - News - The Orange County Register

I don't blame him. Such a simple thing. I hope he will be well received and everyone will be wondering what the years of fuss was about.
    As long as he doesn't try to bedazzle his combat helmet, he should do fine.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I was in the military for 8 years, and I knew several gay/lesbians. First of all they were some of the best friends I ever had, and if I ever had to crawl in foxhole during combat, there isn't one of them I wouldn't want next to me. It's about honor, duty, and service, not sexual preference.

Unfortunately it seems like he's almost hanging by a thread in terms of being ultimately released by the military.

It sort of sounds like he's resigned himself to as such. Article mentions he's doing office work instead of doing training at his unit.

Elite Member

Thread Information