Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery swirls around George W. Bush 'Miss Me Yet?' billboard

Cool Mystery swirls around George W. Bush 'Miss Me Yet?' billboard

Mystery swirls around George W. Bush 'Miss me yet?' billboard - Yahoo! News

For all of the wonderful things life in the Internet age provides us, there are some notable drawbacks. One of them is that email and popular social media tools like Twitter and Facebook provide powerful launching pads for unchecked rumors and popular myths. Often these rumors and myths are proven false by websites like Snopes.com and FactCheck.org, but not this time.

The Internet has been abuzz with rumors that if you drive down Interstate 35 near the town of Wyoming, Minnesota, you'll see a billboard bearing the image of a smiling George W. Bush accompanied by the question "Miss me yet?"

Many initially thought the picture was a hoax created through Photoshop. But now multiple people have confirmed its existence. The mystery surrounding the billboard quickly morphed from a "Fact or Fiction?" story into a genuine "Whodunit?" Who paid for the ad, and what was their motivation? Are they Obama supporters sarcastically hoping to remind disgruntled liberals about how things were under Bush, or are they Bush supporters sincerely hoping to remind voters of the past administration?

To get some answers, Yahoo! News tracked down Mary McNamara, the general manager at the Minneapolis office of Schubert & Hoey Outdoor Advertising, the company which owns and leases out the billboard space.

"The ad was purchased by a group of small business owners who wish to remain anonymous," McNamara said. However, McNamara did offer this political bombshell: "Some of the people in the group who paid for this were Obama supporters."
    McNamara told us that the message the group hoped to convey was one of "Hope and change, where is it?" She went on to say that she has yet to receive any negative feedback about the ad, which has been up for about a month, and added that some have even contacted her office offering to donate money to keep it up.
    However, not everyone is buying McNamara's portrayal of the group's ideological makeup. Cindy Erickson, the chairwoman of the Democratic Party in Chisago County, where the billboard is located, suspects the ad's funders are conservative activists posing as Obama supporters.
    "I don't have any idea who did it, but my thought was that they're Tea Party people," she said. "Regardless, it's been the subject of many conversations around here."
    While Minnesota has long been a blue state, Chisago is part of a Republican-leaning string of suburban counties surrounding Minneapolis and St. Paul, and Obama lost the 2008 vote in Chisago by 10%. But Erickson argued that local Democrats who voted for him are content with the job the president is doing. She added that if the intent of the ad was to reflect poorly on Obama, then it's failed to deliver its message.

"I think most people have interpreted their message to be 'If you think it's bad now, don't forget how bad it used to be,'" she said. "It's just a goofy photo of him. It's goofy."

Yahoo! News' attempts to get a comment on the billboard from George W. Bush's representatives were unsuccessful.

Obama supporters? Yeah, okay. I haven't seen, or heard, one Obama supporter say they miss Dubya, no matter how pissed they are with some of Obama's policy decisions. I've heard a lot of Obama supporters say they're pissed that Obama asked Dubya for help with Haiti fundraising.

Seems more like teabaggers or PUMAs are behind the billboard.

It does make me giggle. Can't help it!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

bwahahahahahaha

yeah, i don't think anybody misses Der Chimpenfuhrer
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^I know I sure as hell don't. I couldn't wait for him to get his monkey ass out of office,so I definitely do not want him back in.

Elite Member

At least Bush is keeping relatvely quiet, unlike Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post

it's because he couldn't wait to get out of office - over looking bad bank loans was a ticking time bomb....... still the billboard is funny

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    That's the one good thing we can say about Dubya.

This made me laugh too and I kinda do miss him because of the crazy stuff like choking on a pretzel! LOL. I could picture that.

I think I see my new avatar.

Haha, people are so creative!! And spot on.

These are great!

Sad part is, in one of the polls that went with an article about this, a vast majority - like 60 or 70 percentile - said "hell yeah, i miss him!". Again, just one poll, but still...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information