Thread: No joke! South Carolina now requires 'subversives' to register, pay 5 bucks

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default No joke! South Carolina now requires 'subversives' to register, pay 5 bucks

I have to say, South Carolina's legislators are amazing geniuses. Faced with what I gather to be a concern that various groups of Americans might be plotting to overthrow the U.S. government, South Carolina has drawn a line in the sand and declared: "Is that so? Well, that will cost you a five dollar filing fee!"

Raw Story has more:

The state's "Subversive Activities Registration Act," passed last year and now officially on the books, states that "every member of a subversive organization, or an organization subject to foreign control, every foreign agent and every person who advocates, teaches, advises or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States ... shall register with the Secretary of State."
    This law applies to any "corporation, society, association, camp, group, bund, political party, assembly, body or organization, composed of two or more persons, which directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States [or] of this State."

And, hey, if you subversives wouldn't mind, why not share the details of your plot to overthrow the United States with the state?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you to pay five dollars to pay state administrative costs.South Carolina To Root Out 'Subversives', Make Them Pay Five Dollars
    I'm thinking this is a way of legally labeling anyone at all a subversive and chucking their butts in jail should they not have registered. Scary times.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I was worried that SC couldn't hit a new level absurd, damn I'm glad that I was wrong.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

it's like something out of a comedy skit, except it's not. it's real.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think they're trying to beat back Ohio and Florida in the crazy state stakes. I bet Palin will jump on this one as a great idea and make it part of her platform in 2012.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Maybe we should have let them secede?

There's always time for that.

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information