Thread: Bush and co. say criticizing ridiculous port deal "helps the terrorists"

Talking Bush and co. say criticizing ridiculous port deal "helps the terrorists"

Is this their catch-all phrase for any criticism?

"Democratic leaders today were admonished by the Bush administration for criticizing the cafeteria lunch menu. "Raising concerns about the very edible and delicious meatloaf entrée only emboldens the enemies of the United States and serves to further aid the terrorists who want to destroy us." said Karl Rove, who ordered the raw cookie dough starter.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 23 — Bush administration officials insisted today, in the face of deep skepticism and resentment from Democratic senators, that the deal to turn over American port operations to a Dubai company was closely studied beforehand and had raised no alarms about national security.

The officials said the United Arab Emirates, of which Dubai is a part, was a crucial ally of the United States in the war on terror, not an unreliable entity in the volatile Middle East as some have suggested.

"They do stand side by side with us in the war on terror," Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England told a session of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Mr. England said the Emirates and the United States had a military partnership under which the United States provides the Emirates with the latest American fighter aircraft and the Emirates, in turn, provide all-important logistical support for the American military.

Robert Joseph, undersecretary of State for arms control, called the Emirates "a stalwart ally" and "a long-standing friend of the United States," a rock of stability in the Mideast and a vital supporter of the United States' military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan. Moreover, he said, the Emirates were among the first to back tighter security measures for handling cargo containers.

But it was clear from the outset that Democrats would be difficult to convince, and that they were still smarting from what they consider high-handed treatment from the Bush administration.

Senator Carl Levin of Michigan, the ranking Democrat on the panel, said the White House had kept Congress in the dark about the impending deal — a deal Mr. Levin said had him "deeply troubled" because of the Emirates' "uneven history" in combating terrorism. Mr. Levin said that the Emirates had been one of the few countries to recognize the Taliban government of Afghanistan and had been a conduit for money directed to Al Qaeda terrorists.

Mr. Levin said the Clinton administration had tried repeatedly to persuade the Emirates to break off ties with the Taliban. "These efforts accomplished little before 9/11," he said. He added, "I'm glad the U.A.R. has taken some steps, apparently, afterward."

And even the committee chairman, Senator John Warner, a Virginia Republican who praised the Emirates' cooperation with the United States, said "a full and complete factual picture" was essential, and that the picture has been late in emerging. Indeed, since the furor over the impending deal first erupted, several Congressional Republicans have said they disagree with President Bush on the issue.

Democrats used the session, which Mr. Warner labeled a briefing rather than a hearing, to attack the Bush administration's approach to port security in general. They complained that, while airports have properly been given much more attention since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, seaports have not.

"We have not funded it adequately, we have not taken it seriously," said Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Democrat of New York. This negligence has been allowed to go on despite the fact that "port security is national security, and national security is port security," she said.

But a deputy homeland security secretary, Michael Jackson, disputed Senator Clinton's version of events. Since the Sept. 11 attacks, there have been "dramatic changes and improvements in port security," he said. He said that, thanks in part to the cooperation of more than 8,000 companies, cargo-screening is much tighter, and that background checks of port workers are more thorough.

Senator Clinton said she would push for a 45-day review of the transaction, under which Dubai Ports World would take over the operation of terminals at a half-dozen big United States ports from P & O Ports, a British company. (A 45-day review would have been triggered by law, had any of the dozen government agencies who reviewed the deal voiced reservations. None did.)

Mr. Levin said President Bush's threat to veto any Congressional measure to upset the deal with Dubai Ports World simply showed how "out of touch" Mr. Bush is, with the American people and with members of Congress, for whom he shows "presidential disdain."

Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, said he found it "remarkable" that the White House seemed to have been surprised by the furor over the impending port deal. "We cannot risk contracting out our national security," he said.

But public officials who support the deal with Dubai Ports World, and some experts on shipping, say that the location of a port company's headquarters is of little importance in this day of global commerce; that cargo at American ports will still be handled by American workers, and that in any event the Coast Guard and Customs agencies will retain responsibility for security. In addition, authorities on world shipping have pointed out, it is not uncommon for companies with headquarters in one country to handle port-terminal operations in another.

As for any suggestions that the impending takeover by the government-owned Dubai company had somehow glided through the Bush administration bureaucracy, Mr. England said the review "definitely was not cursory, and it definitely was not casual."

If the furor over the port deal should go on, Mr. England said, it would give enemies of the United States aid and comfort: "They want us to become distrustful, they want us to become paranoid and isolationist."

Mr. Joseph, the undersecretary of state, said the furor in Washington is being covered in the Arab media. (The importance of the United Arab Emirates to the United States' position in the region was underscored today, when Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice made a surprise visit to the country while on a trip to the Middle East.)

It seemed clear from today's session that the port deal may continue to give rise to political attacks, counterattacks and misunderstanding. In a subplot, the North Carolina Democratic Party called on Senator Elizabeth Dole, Republican of North Carolina and an Armed Services Committee member, not to take part in any deliberations of the port deal. Her husband, former Senator Bob Dole, has been retained by Dubai Ports World to help shepherd the deal through Congress.

Senator Warner had additional microphones installed so that journalists could easily question senators and other officials during breaks in the session. "This subject is entirely too important," he said, to be left to "hallway press conferences."
    Ok what? Karl Rove and his fuckpuppet Bush have been spending the last 5 years making America paranoid and isolationist, and now suddenly it's a bad thing?!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Bush and co. say criticizing ridiculous port deal "helps the terrorists"

By criticizing me you're just helping the terrorists.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Bush and co. say criticizing ridiculous port deal "helps the terrorists"

Well that just makes you un-American, a traitor and a Hitler appeaser. YOU APPEASED HITLER!

You appeased Hitler on your own, I am not responsible for Hitler appeasement by proxy!

Silver Member

The Bush admin is one of the most discriminatory against the Arab minority who lock them up in jail without CHARGES or EVIDENCE...and now they are trying to pull the card of oh my god, you people are being racist to Arabs?*lol* SHUT THE HELL UP! You only love Arab oil sheikhs with money and oil and would not give two sh*ts about the Arab people and send them to Gulags to get tortured.

And now they are saying this might upset the terrorists?No buddy, you are HELPING and providing the terrorists an easy safe way to get to you.

Just a bunch of lunatics...America take back your country.

Take that lovely 2nd ammendment and all your guns, march to the white house and scream "THE KING OF ENGLAND IS COMIN RIGHT FOR US!" and then charge.

Thread Information